1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found an older used Springfield GI for $450. It was fit really well so I made off with it.

Notes on Gun:

1. Came with the older cardboard box that they used to come in.

2. Double diamond rather than U.S. Grips. I like them better.

3. Really actually an awesome trigger. Better than the 2 Loadeds I just sold.

4. External finish is smoother parkerizing with more of a grey tone than the Loaded. I kinda like it. Not dehorned like the Loadeds I've had but the slide to frame fit is perfect. The extractor actually fits flush with the rear of the slide, and the rear of the slide actually fits flush with the rear of the frame (like it's supposed to).

5. Internal finish is actually as good as the American finished Champion LW operator I just sold. All parts are devoid of casting marks and burs. The Loaded parkerized I sold had a huge bur on the inside of the thumb safety.

6. Barrel fit is actually really nice but I imagine I will replace it soon for a stainless version anyway.

7. Shooting it was very pleasant. Small centered groups all on target. Also the ergonomics on it were really just fine. Sure I could add a beaver tail to prevent hammer bite but I already have a callous on my hand in that spot hat serves the same purpose :). Fed Fired and Ejected everything I put in it even various hollow points. Ejects spent cases with 100% reliability without denting the case mouth. Even ejects live rounds with certainty. Obviously no need for lowered and flared ejection ports on this specimen.

This pistol is really just going back to basics for me. All the modern improvements are really neat and certainly have their level of utility. But in my mind they somehow seem to sacrifice something in aesthetics and ruggedness to a well build Mil Spec model. This is the kind of gun you feel like you could use as a hammer and not worry about breaking it. I don't know why I like it so much but I do. Really the only meaningful improvement I think could possibly be made on it would be a taller Mil-spec type steel rear sight (without dots) and a taller front post with a tritium insert. From shooting IDPA with a few different guns that's the sight picture I've always found gives me the best combination of speed and accuracy.

Anyway, I just wish some company would really just dedicate itself to building the very best, most refined, all american, apple pie, Mil-spec type 1911 they can at the best price they can.

In my mind, with all of their new machining and after seeing the precision with which the newer Colt's are finished, they would have that marked completely cornered if only they would just knock the sharp edges of the slide and the dust cover of their new series 70 models.

But until then, this little springer is about as good as I think it gets and I really just love how simple and completely useful it is.

·
Registered
895 Posts
What year was your "older used Springfield" manufactured in? Nice find BTW. Recently I found one in the cardboard box and it was from 1993. Mine is great also but it shoots low.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts