1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a followup on the SS Gold Match .45 I bought a couple of days ago. Took it to the range tonight and shot about 200 rounds through it with no malfunctions. At home, as I was cleaning it up a bit I noticed that the thumb safety lever was snapped off. I don't even use that safety lever since I shoot left handed (in fact I normally don't use the "ambi" safety lever at the range either). I can't say when it broke off during my range session. Where it is snapped off there seems to be a copper color or some discoloring like a flaw in the metal or something (I suppose this is a MIM part).

I am astounded, dumbfounded, and saddened by this event. It's making me question my recent two Kimber purchases just like I questioned my Colt Gold Cup Trophy when it's thumb safety broke (with thumb safety engaged, pull the trigger and the gun would fire...gun has since been fixed and sold in a fit of anger/disgust).

What is it with me and thumb safeties? These Kimbers cost me over $1000 each and I am just perplexed. I have NEVER had a Beretta, HK, or Glock break...NEVER. Am I expecting too much from a 1911??? Or maybe I've made poor choices in the manufacturer???

I don't trust my GM now and I'm suspicious about my GM SE II .38 super since it has the same "parts".

Guess I'll leave the .45 alone and see what else breaks prior to sending it to Kimber to be fixed (the safety functions as long as I use the "ambi" lever). I feel like getting it fixed and selling it even though I would take a huge loss....I am just so disappointed. I know it's just a MIM thing but having to pay to send a new gun back because a lever snapped off during a range session (from just the action of the slide moving back and forth) is pathetic.

It's bad to go from such a high to such a low, all within a few days!!!!

Sorry but I just had to vent.

·
Registered
46 Posts
QB,

Well I guess I wasn't the only one .......

My custom classic did the same thing. I also haven't decided what to do about it yet. Mine, I had recently purchased used and was using it in an IDPA match, felt it give way under my thumb as I was engaging an array of targets...........so now it sits in the back of my safe awaiting it's fate.

Makes you wonder what will go next.

laters

gr

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I did decide to sell this one and in fact sold it this morning. The guy was going to replace the ambi with a "non-ambi" Wilson anyway. I am going to concentrate on keeping my SS Gold Match SE II .38 Super up to snuff (since I now don't trust the parts in it either). But I REALLY love the GM SE II and will replace the MIM parts if and when they break. Since Kimber only has a 1 year (I think) warranty I only want to have 1 Kimber to have to repair (if and when...yes, I've lost all faith).

I really wanted the GM SE II in .45 cal and was going to get one in a few months when they are available but now I'm not sure whether I should or not. But that happens to be the ONLY 1911 .45 that I want (mainly because of the darn flattop & adjustable target sights).

Better do a search of this forum and get a list of MIM parts used in Kimber guns just so I can obsess about them breaking (said in a most sarcastic tone!!).

Problem with my lever breaking was that it was never used since I shoot left handed and use the ambi side. At least you felt yours give way with your thumb.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
QB

I am realy sorry to hear about this happening to you. Particularly since I did encourage you to get the original Gold Match and not wait for the GMII. I do wish I had read this before you sold your pistol. I would have suggested calling Kimber about the failure. As Kimber will send some replacement parts to you instead of you sending them the pistol.

Are you expecting too much from a 1911? NO, you are not. Unfortunately, some manufacturers do not put the extra effort into their upper end guns to live up to the expectations the prices imply.

Str8_Shot

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Str8_Shot -- don't feel bad. I read an earlier post where someone called Kimber and they shipped him the part. I assumed I could call for the part also but decided not to. Anyway, I still have my GM II SE .38 Super and it continues to be a magnificent gun. I think I already mentioned that if the .38 super breaks I am certainly going to get it fixed. It is such a fun round to shoot.

I guess I don't have much heartburn in selling the GM because I really did want the SE II flattop model anyway. And maybe it's for the best because now I don't plan on buying another 1911 type .45 at all (yeah, how many times have I said that....)! I think the GM safety lever breaking provided me with the "excuse" to sell it (instead of admitting that I really shouldn't have purchased it since it was my second choice). Pretty pathetic reasoning!!!!

Anyway, while I think it's bad that the part broke off from just the slide action, I've haven't heard of one manufacturer who hasn't had a problem of some sort once in awhile. For all I know someone "weakened" the part while the gun was on display at the gun shop. I KNOW of one particular shop that has employees that mess with the guns and even fires them, so nothing would surprise me (I don't buy from them of course).

So, I'm not bad mouthing Kimber and in fact will continue to sing praise to my .38 super. The GM was flawless out of the box as far as firing goes, gotta give em that!!!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
QB

Not planning to buy another 1911?!! Boy have I said that before. Unfortunately this is an addiction, and you are about to discover just how bad you have it. Welcome to the club.

As soon as you find that first flat top Gold Match, POOF!!!! Your wallet is out, and it will be yours.

After the second one, or maybe the third, you will start to realize what is going on and may think about pacing yourself.

Concerning buying something that is not what you really wanted, and then regreting it. I have been there and done that. At least three times, and I probably will again. Though, so far my experience with putting $900 into a $400 pistol has slowed me down quite a bit. Though every now and again I am at my favoite dealer and the voices start again. In fact there has been a Kimber Royal that has been calling my name every time I go in the store.

Have fun.
Str8_Shot

·
Banned
217 Posts
I'll allow a tear of sympathy to roll down my cheek. There, all better now.

Why don't you just give Kimber a call and they'll send you a new part. Put it in yourself. Or you can email them.

I'm sure there are lots of folks on this forum who would walk you through the steps of replacing the thumb safety. You don't need to send it back to NewYorkSucks for repair.

One thing though, I've always wondered about spending a lot of money on a high-end Kimber when their service is less than high-end. I'm not sure that Kimber has what it takes to be in the high-end 1911 market. They're no Wilson/Les Baer/Rock River/etc.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
46 Posts
dla,

I think you miss the point.....

Changing the part isn't the issue. I already have a project gun and didn't buy the Kimber for another. My not having decided what to do is, do I let Kimber send me another "free" replacement that may do the same, or do I just save the head ache and buy a quality part.

The main point is this should be happening at all !!! Hard to recover confidence in a piece of equipment once it has failed. This could have been an internal part that failed just as well..........

take care and be safe,

laters,

gr

·
Registered
892 Posts
Originally posted by kahana:
The main point is this should be happening at all !!! Hard to recover confidence in a piece of equipment once it has failed. This could have been an internal part that failed just as well..........
I think you are over-doing it a bit much. Life should be perfect. We should all get 100% non-defective products from our purchases, the 2nd Amendment should mean that we don't have any gun control laws in this country, and I want wings to fly with.

Guns are mechanical devices. Your part was obviously defective. While you may have seen one or two other posts about a defective Kimber thumb safety, you haven't seen 20 of them or 100 of them, but there are Tens of Thousands of Kimbers out there and 99.9% of them all have thumb safeties that are fine.

My electric seat went on my fairly new car. Did it irk me? Yup. Did I get it fixed under warranty? Yup. Am I going to junk the car because the seat actuator died? No. Does that mean that the car is inherently unreliable because I had a defective seat actuator? No.

If you would look on the Wilson forum, you will see their "Bullet Proof" slide stops or extractors break also. Now if Wilson's parts break too, what are you going to do then?

IMHO, if you can't get past this issue, you must be a wreck with the rest of life when things break.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
A defective thumb safety is no big deal. Just replace it yourself with a Wilson, Brown or manufacturers part that you can pick up at any gun show. I don't think to much of Kimbers MIM parts and plan on replacing mine when I get the new parts.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
35 Posts
At least you know what happened to your safety. The ambi portion of my safety is gone. I'm no 1911 expert, but I'm guessing the saftey lever should stay attached to the gun unless a concerted effort is made to remove it. This just happened today, so I guess I will see what Kimber has to say on Monday. This is a brand new Ultra Eclipse II with about 500 rounds through it. As a minimum, my front sight is still burning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts