1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my new stainless Gold Cup Trophy to the range (in my backyard) today. Shoots better than I can shoot it... but give me a few weeks.

I had problems with both Colt-supplied magazines, and until my Tuner-approved mags show up, they are the only ones I have. I'm hoping someone will know if it's a mag problem or a gun problem:

1. Using the 8-round magazine, cannot cycle slide to load a round with 8 rounds in the magazine - it won't budge. Remove the extra round, it's fine.

2. The slide does not lock back after the last round is fired using the 8-round magazine. Works fine with the 7-rounder.

3. When the slide is locked back after firing the last round from the 7 rounder, pushing the mag eject button to eject the empty magazine causes the slide to slam forward.

Do I have a couple lousy magazines, or a gun problem?

Photos of the gun will be posted in a couple days when my new grips show up - right now it looks like every other stock Gold Cup! In the meantime, here's the last 14 shots for the day.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The gun came with 2 springs - I replaced the factory-installed one (for wadcutters) with the 16-pound spring they supplied since I'm shooting FMJ. If it's a spring issue, I do happen to have a brand new 16-pound Wolff spring sitting here that I ordered before I realized Colt was going to give me one.

There are no model #'s at all on the magazines - one says "Colt 45 Auto" with the pony, and the other says "Colt 45 Auto 8-Rd"

I Just noticed that both of these magazines have developed a dent on the top right hand side - (opposite side from the magazine release button) exact same dent. It was not there before I started shooting. Obviously colliding with something in the gun?

Photo attached.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Every Colt magazine I have recieved with my recent Colt purchases (current production 1911's) have these "dents" in them. They come this way from the manufacturer.

Are you sure that was not there before and you just didn't notice it...?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Every Colt magazine I have recieved with my recent Colt purchases (current production 1911's) have these "dents" in them. They come this way from the manufacturer.

Are you sure that was not there before and you just didn't notice it...?
I guess it's possible.... if it's the magazine catch doing the scratching, I'm not sure what's causing the slide to fail to stay open with one empty magazine, and slamming forward when releasing the other one.

Guess I'll have to send it back to Colt with only 100 rounds through it :(

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
ok ok ok you posted a pic of the magazine..

NOW GIVE US A PIC OF THE GUN!!!

lol, we love gun pics!!!!!!

hope everything works out for you

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NOW GIVE US A PIC OF THE GUN!!!
I'll have that up in a day or so when my new grips come.... right now it looks no different than the other 5000 Gold Cup's with factory rubber wrap-around (ugly) grips.....

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
sounds like a plan.

i never cared for wrap around grips. the only gold cup i had was a series 70, and it had the original wood grips with the pretty gold pony..

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I called the repair department at Colt today, and as soon as I started to tell them the problem, they said the slide stop was bad and I needed to send the gun in. Sounds like this isn't the first call.......he said sending me a new slide stop wouldn't help because they may need to do some filing on the gun.

Unfortunately, he said the current turnaround time is about 1 month..... but he also said I could use it for now with no worries and send it back after my wife gets back, leaving me a month to shoot

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I Just noticed that both of these magazines have developed a dent on the top right hand side - (opposite side from the magazine release button) exact same dent. It was not there before I started shooting. Obviously colliding with something in the gun?

Photo attached.

That "dent" is factory installed. It's designed to keep the mag follower over against the left side of the mag to reduce the chances of the slide-stopmissing it.

·
Registered
23,227 Posts
As long as the gun is going back you might want to have some other work done on it, like groove the front-strap like the older Gold Cup Nalt. Matches. Just a thought.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As long as the gun is going back you might want to have some other work done on it, like groove the front-strap like the older Gold Cup Nalt. Matches. Just a thought.
Not a bad idea - I wonder what they charge for that.......

1 - 11 of 11 Posts