1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a new blued Colt Gold Cup for $949. It it worth the price? Does anyone own one of the new GC's? How do they perform?

What is the Series 80 saftey on the newer Colts?

How do they compare to Kimber Gold Match or Springfield Loadeds?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I don't know what part of the country your in. But here a Blue NIB Trophy Match goes for $850. And I will return with the info explaining the S80 safety. And they compare in an infinate number of ways to other guns. Why do you ask the last?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Ok I got the info which shows the 80 safety stuff I think. http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm. And I was asking you what you meant by how they compare to the others you listed? My only answer could be. They have more features in specs to their basic counterparts. That being from all the manufacturers you listed. Get the Colt always when it comes down to it. Because they hold there value better. And they are as well made now as they have ever been. Thats not to say a new Gold Cup can outshoot a S70 or earlier National Match. But it is at least an excellent shooter and performer of its own generation. And also keep shopping on the price if your serious. And stay on the model you first listed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Richie:
I don't know what part of the country your in. But here a Blue NIB Trophy Match goes for $850. And I will return with the info explaining the S80 safety. And they compare in an infinate number of ways to other guns. Why do you ask the last?
Richie,

I am in Cleveland, OH. the only other store in Ohio that I have seen the Blue GC sells it for $999. By comparison I've seen the Stainless GC for $855 at one store. All the others I have checked sell it for $999-$1100. The blue seems to be the more rare of the two. The store with the $855 SS GC wants $929 for a blue GC (but it is not in stock), go figure???

I like the SS GC too, but I am leaning towards the blued model. (I like the flat top slide and the traditional look.)

Regarding the Series 80 safety, I have heard people say it is no good. I do not know if that is true. Since I do not know what it is, I can't make a judgement.

As for comparision to other brands. I am interested in accuracy, fit and finish and reliability.

Thanks for your input!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ed S,
Since prices for Gold Cups are so variable from state to state, it is hard to give you a definate figure so anything around $900.00 plus or minus should be ok. Having owned both of the Gold Cups (I still have the stainless version) I can say this - they are excellent shooters and run well right out of the box. The stainless comes with a Bomar rear sight which may prove more durable than the Elliason rear that comes on the blued version. The roll pin on the Elliason sight has a tendancy to work itself loose and fracture. Between the two I had, the blued version seemed to be fit a little tighter and was a little more accurate (but not by much). I wouldn't worry about the series 80 parts they work fine and I have never experienced a problem with them. Hope this helps.

------------------

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hey Guys,
What makes the goldcup barrel different?
well except it has a COLT 45AUTO NM marks in it's barrel. But does it really differ from other colt 1911 barrel with respect to materials/composition , rifling etc?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've been checking out Gold Cup Trophys, too. Best deal so far is NIB Gold Cup Blued, $749 @ www.gunbroker.com. Or, get the stainless model for only $50 more from the same seller!

For me, it's coming down to either Colt's Gold Cup Trophy or H&K's Tactical.

·
Registered
173 Posts
It used to be the NM barrel was a fitted barrel of higher quality then the regular production barrel. But now they use the same barrel as its quality is already excellent. The extras are the additional fitting and features you get. This is what i've heard, yet in experience a NM barrel new or old is'nt the greatest difference in accuracy. Action, sights, fit, balance and weight are the biggest contributors. Which new or old the GC is top in these.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Gold Cup

I purchased a new Gold Cup Trophy, blued about three months ago. The fit and finish was great, slide to frame fit tight and smooth. This guns barrel fit locks up like a bank vault. It's the best fitted factory barrel I've found on a Colt in years and the trigger broke like a glass rod at 4 pounds. Took it to the range and shot 200 rounds of mixed hardball and hollow points with no FTF or FTE. 25 yards off sandbags shoots 1 inch.
As indicated in another post the anchor pin on the Eliason sight is fragile. I replaced it with a solid steel pin.

I feel that if this is indicative of Colts production at this time then they are making the best 1911's in years.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Johnny Rad said:
I've been checking out Gold Cup Trophys, too. Best deal so far is NIB Gold Cup Blued, $749 @ www.gunbroker.com. Or, get the stainless model for only $50 more from the same seller!

Johnny, I have never done business with gunbroker. Is it a fair way to trade? Anything to beware of?

Thanks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
When checking prices on NIB Gold Cups you need to find out if they comes with a test target. If the test traget is present it should be signed and dated. If no test target then the gun was not made in the custom shop. Colt started making the Gold Cup Trophy in 1997 in the custom shop, better fitting of slide and frame, more hand work, in June of this year they moved the production of the Gold Cup back to the regular floor, hardly any handwork. They did this because they started the production of the 1911a1 reproduction guns.
This is why you have seen a reduction in cost.
A custom shop Gold Cup has a dealer cost of $750-775 and retail of about $830-870 (for shops 10% above cost)
Non custom shop guns dealer cost are about $650-690 and retail in the below $800. Add about $50 for stainless.
Plus the stainless have bo-mars instead of Elliason rear sights.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Sorry, forgot
you don't deal with gunbroker, you would be dealing with the seller. Most of the time it is a shop somewhere. In this case I believe it is either youngsgun in TN or
donkey21 in LA
(those are their seller names)
I have bought from youngs before, very nice, very easy transaction. Just remember you have to pay shipping $20-30
and find an FFL to do the transfer on your end. Here they all charge $25
So add that to your price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts