1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am an avid Colt owner, I fell in love with a Kimber Gold Match SE II .38 Super (stainless) today and just had to buy it.

I can't go to the range until Friday evening and it is just killing me
. I field stripped it tonight and everything seems fine. Nice tight fit and excellent finish. I don't normally care for guns with front serrations but this gun has been forgiven for having them!!!! In fact, there is a Gold Match SE II .45 cal for sale that I may go buy tomorrow. I didn't think I'd EVER trade in my Colt Gold Cup Trophy but it is currently in the case ready to go (of course I have more Colts
). [Edited.... bummer, the shop had a stainless Gold Match, not the SS Gold Match SE II .45 so my GCT has been spared. I'm now obsessed with finding a GM SE II .45 if it kills me!!!! I hate it when I'm told that "no one can get them".

I'll post a range report this weekend. I have been reading all the bad things about Kimbers (well, you name it, all the manufactuers, even Ed Brown) and actually had a problematic Ultra Carry CDP that I traded off but I decided to take the plunge anyway and hope I don't regret it (since I really went over my budget for this gun and haven't "fessed" up to buying it yet).

[This message has been edited by QB (edited 10-24-2001).]

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
QB

Where did you find a Gold Match in 38Super? I am assuming that you are not in the Puget Sound (Seattle) Region. Do post a range report when you can.

Also, if you are going to trade your Gold Cup Trophy for a Gold Match in 45acp, I think you will be better served by the earlier version, not the SE II. The reason is the earlier version does not have the grip safety activated firing pin safety block.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Posted my outing with "Goldi" in the range report section (although not very technical). What a FABULOUS gun! I am smitten with the 38 super round. What a fun gun to shoot.

I looked at a Gold Match (versus SE II) and just really like the SE II version because it has the ribbed flattop slide (and of course the checkering/stipling on the frontstrap is nice). I'm a sucker for flattops but will look at the Gold Match again.

What negatives does the II on the Gold Match SE II have that makes you recommend the Gold Match/non II??? I know I can always have the frontstrap checkered but that DARN flattop is just stuck in my head and won't go away. Oh... to answer you question, I'm in the Dallas, TX area. I actually was calling around for the .45 and was shocked to find a Kimber 38 super!! Went to buy it IMMEDIATELY and glad I did.

[This message has been edited by QB (edited 10-27-2001).]

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
A flat top. Well that changes everything. Flat tops on a slide are COOOOOOOOLLLLLL!

Actually I have a soft spot for a flat top slide. Im not sure why, I just do.

Aside from the flat top slide, the big difference between the original version and the SEII, is the firing pin safety block. I would prefer to do without, so that would lead me to the original version with the round top slide in 45.

------------------
Str8_Shot

The best handgun for self defense, is the one you have with you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts