1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Awhile back I was looking for a lightweight Commander in 9mm. Tried some custom makers all were around $3,500. I decided I had enough full customs. Talked to a guy I know at my favorite LGS. He said Dan Wesson use Ed Brown parts ( ?); and he thought they were really good 1911's ( he is a 1911 fanatic). Bought a lightweight 9mm Guardian. Had Trijicon HD sights installed ( old eyes need big dots) and a Wilson tactical safety ( the Dan Wesson safety dug into the base of my thumb).
Took it to the range. Mag kept popping out with the recoil. Went back to range yesterday and took some Wilson 9mm mags. Problem of upchucking mags solved. WOW did that little beast shoot. Started running the plate rack easily every time ( my acid test of a pistol is the plate rack). Beautiful trigger. Fell in love with it. Talk about a sweeeet pistol.
Now fighting my urge to acquire the other Dan Wesson at the LGS. It is a 38 super and a " blemished" pistol which puts it $200 below market price. Need another 1911 fix!!

·
Premium Member
3,129 Posts
Awhile back I was looking for a lightweight Commander in 9mm. Tried some custom makers all were around $3,500. I decided I had enough full customs. Talked to a guy I know at my favorite LGS. He said Dan Wesson use Ed Brown parts ( ?); and he thought they were really good 1911's ( he is a 1911 fanatic). Bought a lightweight 9mm Guardian. Had Trijicon HD sights installed ( old eyes need big dots) and a Wilson tactical safety ( the Dan Wesson safety dug into the base of my thumb).
Took it to the range. Mag kept popping out with the recoil. Went back to range yesterday and took some Wilson 9mm mags. Problem of upchucking mags solved. WOW did that little beast shoot. Started running the plate rack easily every time ( my acid test of a pistol is the plate rack). Beautiful trigger. Fell in love with it. Talk about a sweeeet pistol.
Now fighting my urge to acquire the other Dan Wesson at the LGS. It is a 38 super and a " blemished" pistol which puts it $200 below market price. Need another 1911 fix!!
Great purchase and good to hear things went well. DWs are sweet handguns. As to the .38 Super, go it, you won't be sorry. The .38 Super is a fun gun to shoot. Don't believe the folks who say Super is a difficult round to find and expensive. It simply isn't so. I shop mine on the net at GunBot.com...where it's very common, from a variety of manufacturers, with prices between $15-$20 a box of 50 for those I purchase.

Rick

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Glad to hear the problem is solved and your loving the DW. BTW, DW used to use a variety of EB parts - but now make virtuall everything in house - all high grade forgings or machined from bar stock. The bobtail MSH is still from EB.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
If you buy a pistol with a SN that starts with 15xxxxx, you may find that the thumb safety has been blended better. I just got this 38 Super Guardian within the month from Buds

Here is my custom Silverback with a 15xxxxx SN followed by my 13xxxxx Valor for comparison.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
If you buy a pistol with a SN that starts with 15xxxxx, you may find that the thumb safety has been blended better. I just got this 38 Super Guardian within the month from Buds.
Very nice - and we have to give credit where credit is due. Keith DW heard, listened and delivered.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Very nice - and we have to give credit where credit is due. Keith DW heard, listened and delivered.
:) Such a small thing can be a big thing.

That TS is very nice.......and that little bit of upward slop is gone too. I noticed these changes near the end of 2014.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
I purchased a DW Guardian last week and the first trip to the range was flawless. This is a very well made pistol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts