1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally got to take the new SS Colt Combat Commander out yesterday. Since it was a spur of the moment deal, the only ammo I had with me was what was in the 2 Colt factory mags. 1 loaded with American FMJ and the other with PMC Starfire. Gun was running flawlessly up until the last round of PMC Starfire. I should note that the mag of Starfires only had 5 in the mag. On the last round of the Starfires, I got a failure to feed. It looked as the though the bullet was halfway out of the mag but the end of it was still in the mag. Took the round out and rechambered it and it shot fine. Now, I know that this is not nearly enough ammo to diagnose a problem like this all the way, but what could possibly be causing this? I wouldnt think a new mag would have this problem. Extractor tension? Hopefully I will be able to put more through it the first of this week at the range. So, what could be my problem? Thanks for any help you can pass on.

Monty

·
Administrator
72,478 Posts
I honestly don't think you're at a point to worry about it right now. A brand-new gun with only two mags of ammo through it. Try running a couple hundred rounds through it next time, and note if/when it malfunctions again. Don't be surprised if the factory mags continue to cause trouble with JHP's, either. Some of us have had good luck with them, while others have had to rely on Wilson or equivalent aftermarket mags for good function with JHP's.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the info. I pretty much know that more ammo is needed to see if this is actually a problem or not. But, I was unaware what problems if any that the colt mags have. This is my first 1911 so im just learning I guess. I will be sending it in to a local smith for a McCormick trigger and to look the gun over real good this week and hopefully some extra mags as well. Thank you again, I will let you know the outcome after more ammo is put through it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts