1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I just bought my first gun, a Kimber Pro TLE II, and have a few questions on cleaning and maintenance:
1. I have searched and couldn't find an answer on this, but am I supposed to clean and/or oil the magwell?
2. I have field stripped, cleaned, lubed major lubrication points according to manual, and then put a very light coat of oil on all parts of the frame and slide. I even put a very light coat on the breech face, taking care to not get oil inside the firing pin hole. Do other people run a super light coat of oil on all the steel parts of frame and slide? what about the extractor and breech face? I just want to avoid any potential for rust.
3. After my first 200 rounds, I ran a bunch of clp soaked patches through the barrel and I still see copper streaks on the lands and grooves. How necessary is it to get all this out? The barrel looks shiny for the most part when I look down it, except for what look like a few non-shiny streaks in the grooves.

Thanks!

·
Registered
517 Posts
1. Clean if necessary, but don't oil. Wipe the magwell well with a silicon impregnated cloth if needed. Same for the magazine.

I even put a very light coat on the breech face, taking care to not get oil inside the firing pin hole. Do other people run a super light coat of oil on all the steel parts of frame and slide? what about the extractor and breech face?
2. I would forgo oil on the breechface, it's not necessary and if oil gets inside the firing pin hole it may gunk up and impede the firing pin. You also don't want lube anywhere it could contact the the primer, although unlikely, oil could potentially deactivate it. Same for the extractor. For rust protection on the inside of the frame and slide I use a light coat of PTFE semi dry lube after cleaning.

3. Not much will clean copper fouling, it deposits quickly and is difficult to remove. You'll see copper streaks on just about every gun bore, even well maintained ones. No need to remove it until it starts affecting accuracy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you must remove every trace of copper from the bore, JB Bore Cleaning Compound will do the job.

As with anything in life, use it in moderation.

·
Premium Member
15,382 Posts
I'm the opposite of Bob above; at least a fine coat of lubricant/preservative on EVERY metal surface. There is absolutely no reason to exclude the magwell. You do not have to get the barrel squeaky clean. For the last few years I have been using ONLY nylon brushes on rifles and pistols. And I use whatever gun product I choose that day for everything, bore and all, but use a bore cleaner made to remove brass and copper if you wish. After a few bad results over the years, I no longer use automotive brake, carb or choke cleaner sprays on any guns. I will use Electronic Parts Cleaner (CRC) that is marked 'safe for plastics' if I have a real tough job that really requires it.
Finally, you're absolutely right to be concerned about rust. If you don't treat every metal surface, rust will find a way to get to your gun, and sometimes even if you think you covered the whole thing, you'll find out you missed a spot when you are shocked to see a little rust spot in a seam, like a sight base on a rifle barrel or something similar. So don't chance it. Besides, machinery likes to be oiled.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
Any oil on the breechface can find its way into a primer. Keep the breechface dry. Any oil in the magazine will cause dust and grit and fouling to build up and stick faster than it will on a dry magazine. Fouling will build up on the inside of the feed lips. Just keep the magazine clean and wipe off all of the oil on the inside.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I just bought my first gun, a Kimber Pro TLE II, and have a few questions on cleaning and maintenance:
1. I have searched and couldn't find an answer on this, but am I supposed to clean and/or oil the magwell?
Clean, yes. Large patch and toothbrush work well See if you can get one of the GI cleaning toothbrush tools. They work well for overall cleaning.
I don't lube the magwell.
2. I have field stripped, cleaned, lubed major lubrication points according to manual, and then put a very light coat of oil on all parts of the frame and slide. I even put a very light coat on the breech face, taking care to not get oil inside the firing pin hole. Do other people run a super light coat of oil on all the steel parts of frame and slide? what about the extractor and breech face? I just want to avoid any potential for rust.
Use the toothbrush to clean under the extractor hook. Very little lube needs left in the breechface area
3. After my first 200 rounds, I ran a bunch of clp soaked patches through the barrel and I still see copper streaks on the lands and grooves. How necessary is it to get all this out? The barrel looks shiny for the most part when I look down it, except for what look like a few non-shiny streaks in the grooves.
Did you run a bore brush thru it first?
Thanks!
Welcome to the 1911 forum.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated. Seems I should leave the breach face and extractor dry, its safe to clean and oil the magwell but i should not oil the magazine, and as long as my patches come out clean (I'm trying not to use a brush), I don't need to worry about copper fouling streaks in the lands/grooves of the barrel. Let me know if I misinterpreted anything. As far as cleaning/oiling the magwell, do you guys just wipe it out with a rag? And how do you oil it? Toothbrush or something else? Can't get my fingers far enough in there to use a patch with a bit of oil.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I think a clean magwell is good enough (no oil). It works for me, but I am in a very dry climate so moisture is rarely any issue here.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
a clean dry cotton cloth, or an old t-shirt, lol. I typically will check the entire pistol over for lint when I am finished cleaning, oiling, greasing, wiping, including the magwell, and especially the chamber area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ha! Lint is a whole nother topic...IV been trying different patch types for cleaning bc no matter what I use, I seem to get fuzzies and lint left everywhere.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome new gun owner, good to take care of your weapon. I like lots of silicone spray, on cases and guns and other oils too. A rag pushed by a rod to grab and then pull through cleans a magwell pretty well. A, stiff, toothbrushed shaped, brush actually is very handy to clean a magwell, if it fits, and other parts of a gun, especially nooks and crannys.

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
To prevent corrosion oiling the exterior of the magazine is a good idea. Just keep the inside clean and dry. I lightly oil the the inside of magazines with a long Q tip and then push/pull a rag in and out a few times. It is easier to do this if you remove the follower and spring (or just push the follower down most of the way and pin it down if your magazine has holes instead of a slot) Most of the gunk will be at the top inside of the feed lips. M16 brush will get it. Clean dry magazines are happy magazines.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
^ha! Lint is a whole nother topic...IV been trying different patch types for cleaning bc no matter what I use, I seem to get fuzzies and lint left everywhere.
I detest fuzzies and lint. One of my kits (Outers) came with a box of patches which appear to be synthetic and have never left any residual crap and work very well. Went to their website moments ago and they offer both cotton and synthetic. I'm going to assume the synthetics are what I have in the kit and will be ordering some. Just ordered via ebay / paypal. Not a terrible price w/ shipping. They have one left though you can get about the same del at Amazon if you have that deal where you get free shipping. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Outers-Synt...55-/331639223536?hash=item4d373cf4f0#shpCntId

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I'm the opposite of Bob above; at least a fine coat of lubricant/preservative on EVERY metal surface. There is absolutely no reason to exclude the magwell. You do not have to get the barrel squeaky clean. For the last few years I have been using ONLY nylon brushes on rifles and pistols. And I use whatever gun product I choose that day for everything, bore and all, but use a bore cleaner made to remove brass and copper if you wish. After a few bad results over the years, I no longer use automotive brake, carb or choke cleaner sprays on any guns. I will use Electronic Parts Cleaner (CRC) that is marked 'safe for plastics' if I have a real tough job that really requires it.
Finally, you're absolutely right to be concerned about rust. If you don't treat every metal surface, rust will find a way to get to your gun, and sometimes even if you think you covered the whole thing, you'll find out you missed a spot when you are shocked to see a little rust spot in a seam, like a sight base on a rifle barrel or something similar. So don't chance it. Besides, machinery likes to be oiled.
Great post. Pretty much what has worked well for me for several decades including a lot of time on or near salt water. Does your mag-well get dirty? Of course, so clean it. If you have to worry about your oil gunking up your firing pin hole then you are using the wrong oil. I oil everything, and clean it off and re-oil after every outing. That includes the bore. Not good for accuracy buy I don't care -- I don't want corrosion there and many of my barrels are plain carbon steel, so they will rust fast if carried while you are sweating without protection on them.

I have used this stuff for 20 years, mostly ordering it from the U. S. distributor, but now I've seen it in Walmart:

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Magwell - Clean and no oil.
Rails and bearing parts: Lube with a good quality lube like FP-10, Wilson Combat Lube, Militec, etc. - or even a synthetic motor oil like Mobil 1. Avoid thin oils like Rem or Hoppe's oil.
Other surfaces: Thin coating of oil from a patch is fine - nothing dripping - just with a sheen.
Magazines: Clean no oil.
Bore: Don't get too nuts over this -just a couple of passes with Hoppe's No. 9 on a patch.
Avoid harsh chemicals that can etch the bore - that means any one that tells you not too often and do it fast and don't breathe the fumes. And remember that many chemicals/solvents are toxic - which I recommend avoiding. In fact, I wear nitrile gloves when cleaning.

Have fun and good luck with your new Kimber!

·
Registered
779 Posts
I oil everything. Wipe it down with a clean oiled rag. it doesn't have to be swimming or even wet. But there is a fine, fine coat of oil. I do not live in the desert, there is some humidity, so therefore it gets oiled.

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
For the copper they make what looks like a brillo pad out of copper "Chore Boy" available at some grocery stores. Peal off a few strands and wrap around your brush/patch and give it a good scrubbing. l like to give my new barrels a few strokes with JP paste, just don't over do it. I also have a Mag Well brush that I use about every 500 rounds, take my mags apart and do the same to them, put is all back together and then mist a little silicone spray on the out side of the mag and on the brush and then push the brush back into the mag well for a few strokes. Don't use silicone spray on the rails. Wipe off any excess. You'll be good to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks a lot for the warm welcome and for all the replies everyone. Can I use my clp (weapon shield) to lightly coat the magwell instead of silicone? That's what I've been using on the whole gun even a light coat on the outside (front/rear strap checkering and everything).. I just don't like silicone, seeps everywhere and i heard if I ever want to refinish the gun silicon will make it difficult

1 - 20 of 22 Posts