1911Forum banner

new gun time

1071 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Danger
I've got the itch to buy another 1911 and am strongly leaning toward the CQB or Protector-full size. In reading all the different boards it seems clear that Wilson is the one company with the least problems and great service if there are any. One question though. My only other semi-custom pistol was a Les Baer which was extremely difficult to reassemble to the point I finally sold it. The bushing on that gun was so tight it would wreck a bushing wrench about every othr time the gun was field stripped. Are Wilson's built that tight?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
The Wilsons are not built as tight as the Les Baers. Dehorning is pretty standard on the Wilsons. And, you get more "smells and bells" (bag, extra mag, video, etc.) with the Wilsons. But, you pay a little more for a Wilson than you will for a Baer. Also, you definitely need a steel bushing wrench with the Baers.

I don't care for the full size CQB. It's a personal preference but I'd go for a Protector.

Dennis D. Carter

· Registered
824 Posts
Originally posted by SAG:
I've got the itch to buy another 1911 and am strongly leaning toward the CQB or Protector-full size. ... My only other semi-custom pistol was a Les Baer which was extremely difficult to reassemble to the point I finally sold it. The bushing on that gun was so tight it would wreck a bushing wrench about every othr time the gun was field stripped. Are Wilson's built that tight?
In short, no. Baers are legendary for being as tight as a Catholic Virgin on a first date. And they never loosen up either (the Baers?
). The Wilsons are tight but are properly fitted so that everything works as smooth as glass.

Pretty much, you can't go wrong with either the CQB or the Protector.

· Registered
752 Posts
I have a new Wilson Custom Classic I have been shooting for about two weeks now.I just love it. Most accurate 1911 I have ever owned. Wilson's bushings are a not nearly as tight as my Kimber's Custom Target. See this link for a look see at my new wilson and target. I have a friend who has a CQB and its a great gun also. I could not see how you could go wrong with any of Wilson's guns.http://www.1911forum.com/ubb/Forum35/HTML/000215.html

[This message has been edited by bowhunter (edited 11-13-2001).]

· Premium Member
2,233 Posts
At the risk of restating the obvious, Wilsons are nowhere near as tight as Baers, and you won't have any problem at all. Your circumstance was hardly a unique one -- Baers have a well-deserved reputation for being tight to the point of being ridiculous. While that may be great for the Bullseye crowd, it does not serve the needs of the average shooter nearly so well.

As for model preferences, I would probably order a Protector, albeit with the tool steel upgrades internally. The CQB is a great sidearm, but I would have to make several small changes to make it suit my tastes (grips, finish, guide rod) ... by the time I was finished, I would really end up with a Protector anyway.

Chuck

· Registered
601 Posts
Absolutely not! Wilson is by far the best company to get a pistol from. Their customer service is first rate and they are very friendly. My rep spent 20 mins just talking about guns after I put my order in. No real rush to kick me off the phone. Also was very helpful in that I got extra mags free for ordering my second choice pistol since my original choice was not immediately available. Go Wilson, you won't regret it. Also go to the topic "Trying to post pic" in the general discussion forum and you'll see the Wilson Protector in the bottom right of the picture.

[This message has been edited by ZekeLuvs1911 (edited 11-14-2001).]

· Registered
47 Posts
I bought a full-size CQB about three months ago. I already own a Kimber CC, and a series 70 Colt with a full accuracy job from a first rate smith. The Colt was and is a bear to take down, extremely tight, always feel like I am damaging something when I take it apart to clean it. It is extremely accurate, about 1" at 25 yards.

My CQB is a piece of cake to disassemble, I don't feel like I am damaging anything, could take it down without tools if I had to. Shoots into 1" at 25 yards. Also a much nicer gun to shoot than my 1911.

I admit I have replaced the guide rod with a FL stainless rod, but I notice no difference in accuracy or relibility. More my problem than the gun's.

But I will admit that I am not sure the CQB is the best gun for you. I have tremendous respect for Wilson and their guns, it is just that the CQB is the only one I own. I expext that their other guns are superb as well. I am sure that whatever you buy you will appreciate.

Tim

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for you advice. Since this will be my first Wilson, I'm flexible about which model to buy. Thought I had a Protector located at a reasonable price but the dealer says they are still waiting for their shipment to come in and didn't know when they would arrive. Just have to keep looking for a bit I guess. Wilson says they are about 4 months behind on orders. Really don't want to wait that long.

· Registered
1,526 Posts
The wait for the Wilson will definitely be worth it. They make the best "semi custom" guns on the planet, and back them up as such.

My personal preference would be the Protector. Try looking at gunsamerica.com in the custom pistol listing. Best of luck on your purchase.

· Registered
47 Posts
I have nothing to gain personally in all of this, but I have a great Wilson Master dealer who sometimes has Wilson guns in stock and is a nice and reasonable guy to deal with. The last time I talked with him he had a full sized CQB, that was a couple of months ago.

You might contact him. In my experience he is a very honest guy who knows his guns (he shoots IDPA and carrys a CQB compact) and will give you good advice and service.

His name is Mike Smith (this is in West Virginia) and his e-mail address is:

[email protected]

Good luck in locating a Wilson Combat. They make the best guns I have ever been lucky enough to shoot!

Tim

· Registered
8 Posts
I love my CQB, just change out the plastic guide rod and the MIM hammer. you'll not regret it. I've owned SA, Colt, Kimber, and HKs, not one of them can measure up to the CQB or Wilson's customer service. I called concerned about the plastic guide rod and they sent me a steel guide rod free of charge. I also mentioned I wasn't sure if I liked the Armor Tuff and they said if I wasn't happy with it they would redo the gun in the finish of my choice. How's that for customer service. My .02

[This message has been edited by Danger (edited 11-18-2001).]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.