1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,

I just bought a new Raptor Ultra II SS 3" barrel. I have been shooting all my life and know how to take care of a gun, at least I thought. I am a little curious why the manual says to field strip, clean, lube and reassemble prior to shooting.

I bought my Raptor and a 100 round box of ammo and drove straight to my favorite pistol range (steep bank of one of my stock tanks :>) and spit 100 rounds thru it at beer cans and horse turds. I then went to the house and pulled out the manual and discovered that I am a bad cowboy!

I was a gunner's mate in the USN and know 1911s fairly well so I didn't need operating instructions so no need to scold me for that:bawling:

Thanks for the info and I love my new Raptor.

·
Banned
3,351 Posts
Most manuals should be read and followed. I tend to disagree with Kimber's. I have 8 Kimber 1911's and this is what I've done with all of them and they've come out just fine. 1) I swab the barrel with a clean patch. 2) I oil the hell out of it. 3) Remove the magazine(forever) and rack the slide 100-200 times. 4) Buy either Wilson or Tripp Cobra mags to use for your gun. 5) run 300-350 rounds of factory brass cased FMJ ammo through it. There you go. My guide to getting your new Kimber up and running.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
There's always the possibility that the manufacturing process left some small particles around. I also like to strip down any new gun and clean and lube just to check if everything looks right. In general I think this is a good idea.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Howdy,

I just bought a new Raptor Ultra II SS 3" barrel. I have been shooting all my life and know how to take care of a gun, at least I thought. I am a little curious why the manual says to field strip, clean, lube and reassemble prior to shooting.

I bought my Raptor and a 100 round box of ammo and drove straight to my favorite pistol range (steep bank of one of my stock tanks :>) and spit 100 rounds thru it at beer cans and horse turds. I then went to the house and pulled out the manual and discovered that I am a bad cowboy!

I was a gunner's mate in the USN and know 1911s fairly well so I didn't need operating instructions so no need to scold me for that:bawling:

Thanks for the info and I love my new Raptor.
That's what I did when I got my Ultra, and no adverse effects ever happened. Don't worry about it.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
I think a lot of guys that don't know better do the same thing, and like most things, it's usually not a problem.

It's just healthy to clean it up and remove any manufacturing debris that may still be there, as well as the gunk they have on them for protection (ya, some will say it doesn't work very well :D ) But lubrication is important.

If it's clean, and well lubed, it has the best chance to operate as it should and wear in properly. Imagine putting a motor together and no cleaning up and parts as they go together. Then before flushing and adding good, new oil, you take it out and run it without a start and run for that initial wear in. It may be fine, but it may not be as reliable and strong as a motor that was put together with cleaned parts, lubed right and allowed to set initially, and run in a way for everything to wear in right.

It's an exaggeration comparing a motor to a gun, but you get the point. If it ran well, I wouldn't worry about it, it's most likely a good one that won't give you any problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. I broke her down and cleaned her up after first 100 rounds of FMJ. I really like the little gun. I'm now officially back on board with shooting a 1911.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Did ya'll clean up the beer cans and horse flop? Using a 1911 to liven-up your stock tank sounds seriously Texan to me. I'm fixin' to do likewise with my Ultra CDP over here in Hood County. LJA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LJA looks like a soild Texas brand

If I left beer cans behind my Daddy would roll over in the grave.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Likewise, podna. And my daddy would have made me eat the cow flop if I didn't clean it up after blowing it to East you-know-where with my 45! I'm fixin' to determine the relative expansion of different defense loads in horse crap. Seems important given the load of horse crap being shoveled at us by some horse's you know whats. God Bless Texas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts