1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been shooting a Kimber Classic Custom for a few years now, and love the gun. I have a friend who is learning to shoot, and has been using my Kimber. He wants to buy his own gun, but is hesitant to buy anything other than a Kimber, since that is a gun he knows he likes, and he doesn't want to buy something he hasn't shot.

He's having a hard time, as buying a Kimber (even "just" a Classic) is a big $ outlay. So I tossed out the idea of him buying mine, let him save a couple hundred bucks.

He's thinking about it, but my question is what to replace it with? I definitely, undoubtedly, no compromises, want another 1911. But which one?

I don't want a gun that I have to send out to the gunsmith to get it "right". Money isn't really an issue, but let's not be crazy - keep the price tag under $1200. The gun is for home defense and target, not for carry. I don't compete, but might try IDPA or something someday.

What would you recommend, and why? What type of sights, grips, etc. would you go with? Consider this your chance to design your perfect gun - only I get to have it!

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
Welcome!

I would recommend that you keep your gun, which is a proven performer, and let your buddy worry about his own gun purchase. So many people don't realize that $1000 (or $1200 in this case) is a drop in the bucket for a good reliable 1911. Most are just fine range guns out of the box. Some aren't. For those that aren't, is your manufacturer of choice going to fix the gun right the first time? Will they also take care of shipping, or are you going to have to shell out that dough? 1911s are great guns, but since there are so many manufacturers, there really isn't a clear status quo. If I were you, and I could only afford $1200, I would either pass, or save up a few hundred dollars more.

Be well!

·
Registered
45 Posts
keep or buy used

I would suggest buying a used Colt you think you'll like, $500-$900. Shoot the crap out of it. If it doesn't make you happy you can probably sell it for about the same money or give a reputable smith $100-$700 to make it just what you want.

Also agree that if you like your gun and aren't REALLY wanting to get rid of it, keep it and give this advice to your friend for free.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
552 Posts
I also have a Kimber Classic Series One. I love it. I've spent a moderate amount customizing it. But I am taking a serious look at Springfield for my next 1911 purchase.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know if you've ever owned a Springfield or not, but I'm LOVIN' mine. And it's only a Milspec (and only $502 where I got it). The sights aren't Novak and it isn't competition grade tight, but I'm willing to sacrifice a quarter-inch in my grouping to KNOW it will go bang every time I squeeze the trigger. The only changes I'd consider making with it are finding some nice dark colored wooden grips.

Oh yeah, and from what I've seen Springfield has a top-rate lifetime warrantee.

·
Registered
235 Posts
you know that your blaster is reliable, keep the pistol and help your friend find a blaster of his own. keep him informed about the models and types of guns that you would buy if you were in his place
good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
You should keep your gun and encourage your friend to get a Sprinfield Mil-Spec. I recently bought one, and it is my first 1911 (I pick it up in 8 days). I know I don't have a lot of experience yet, but I did my fair share of homework on what kind of 1911 would be good for a beginner with a budget (thanks to this forum). The Mil-Spec is definitly the one, its damn reliable, excellent quality, and very affordable, plus it looks badass. This is just my $.02 :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
You think you like your milspec now, wait till you get to the range with it!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Stainless TLE II. Finest gun I have ever owned

1 - 10 of 10 Posts