1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. First, let me say that I am not attempting to purchase or sell a firearm from any of you (geez, can someone explain why that is not allowed here? Thought this was America) Seriously though, I am new to the 1911 game and would like some advice. First, I do not even own a 1911 as of yet. I do not intend to use it for duty use, or personal defense, or even home defense. I have other firearms for that. However, there is something about that darn gun that just makes me want to own one! Ugghhhhhh, what is it about that stupid design? Gotta have one. Anyway, being that I don't have lots of money to throw around and I can only justify buying another gun to my wife when it is for duty/work purposes I am thinking about building one myself. I built my own AR-15 and saved myself several hundred dollars. I was hoping to do the same with the 1911. So here are my questions

1. Is this a viable alternative or will I end up spending the same or more as just buying a stock gun?

2. I want to use it as a "shooter" so I don't need expensive target/match grade parts...how can I tell the difference (is there a price difference?)

3. Where can I go and easily find those types of parts (please email me privately... I don't want to break the rules here). Not asking to buy from any of you...just asking you if you know of places that sell such parts....for those of you that are AR-15 fans as well I'm talking about a company like J&T or Model one that sells "kit guns".

4. Any brands/parts I should definately stay away from?

Thanks for you help

Leo6223

(note to mod....if there is something in here that is not allowable please just edit that part out and do not delete the whole message...thanks)

·
Banned
597 Posts
What's your budget? I'm betting you could buy a complete gun for less than it would cost you to buy a frame and slide combo.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
There is considerably more fitting involved with a 1911. Even if the parts say "drop-in", they aren't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
here's the thing...I'm willing to be patient. So if I come across a used this or that here, and down the road pick up a used (fill in the blank) then eventually I'm hoping to put together a complete 1911 for pretty cheap. I guess I'm looking to not spend more than 400 bucks on the project. Maybe less if I'm lucky. Does that sound possible buying used parts and such? I'm spolied on pricing....first I buy glocks and to boot I get law enforcement pricing. So I don't usually spend more than 385 for a NEW gun. Yeah yeah yeah, I bet all you 1911 addicts are gonna come screaming about the combat tupperware, but I love my glocks so leave me be! Haahahhhah. Seriously, maybe I'm just dreaming thinking I can put together a cheap 1911.

·
Registered
623 Posts
i would agree with norman and az. it will probably cost more to build a gun than you could buy one for...
the 1911 is also much more complicated than an ar-15 to put together.

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
Buy a brand-new, already assembled Springfield WW2 Milspec for under $400.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
building a 1911 is alot harder than an AR-15.
if you want to try it, stay away from the cheap stuff, they usually don't fit right, and half the time you destroy the parts to make them work.
the best bet for a single source for all your parts is caspian arms.
high quality, reasonably priced. plus if your not a machinest, or are not familar with fitting slide to frames, sight cuts, etc, they will machine it for you for a reasonable price.
but in the end it will be cheaper and alot less frustrating just buy a mil spec.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
leo6223 said:
(geez, can someone explain why that is not allowed here? Thought this was America)
As a new member, I would whole-heartedly suggest you enter this Forum with some level of maturity.

Yes, it might be America, but this is a privately run site, funded - for the most part - privately. The rules we have are not open for debate - no matter what country you live in.

The reasons why we don't allow firearms for sale has been discussed numerous times. Allow me to introduce you to the "search" button.

Regardless, welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
1911s

You might look around and see if yoiu can find one of the Argentine 1911A1s.

They are great guns, and the price is right.

FWIW

Chuck

·
Registered
614 Posts
I second the Sistema 1927. They are pre-war quality, built on Colt DNA and are inexpensive. Brownells, Numrich, Midway and even Wilson sell parts that fit without much fiddling. The only real work they need is often barrel throating and ramping. Magazines from McCormick or Wilson improve even Llamas. Avoid most used firearms. I never buy from kitchen table gunsmiths. Buy a copy of Shotgun News and hit the net. Make some phonecalls and work the gunshows in your area. Buy and read books about the Colt Government model. Kuhnhausen books in particular.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts