1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:mad:

Long time lurker of the board, and why not start my first post off with a rant! ;)

A couple months ago I bought a new Kimber Target Rimfire, after hearing the glowing self-promotion on Guntalk about Kimber making a dedicated 1911 style .22. Sounded so cool I got stupid and went straight to the store and bought one. Oops.

Well, it didn't run right from the first shot. On a full mag, the first 3 or 4 rounds jam, FTF, with the round going into the chamber at a severe upwards angle. After those first few rounds, it usually runs ok with any hotter ammo (minimags, super max, wildcat, etc.). I thought it might be break-in, so I put 1200 rounds through it, loading only 5 rounds in a mag. After that break in, it still didn't work. The only ammo I could find that would cycle it was Stinger (which stings your wallet too!). Even it jammed up occasionally, but was vastly better than any other brand, and I tried over 30 different hi velocities.

Called Kimber, they thought it might be a mag, so they sent me a new one. Didn't make a bit of dif, so back to the factory it went with a very detailed letter and both mags. They turned it around fast and I got it back with a receipt saying "replaced barrel" (?) and two Wildcat box lids. Had high hopes so I loaded up some mags and headed to the range. Same problem, jamomatic. The only ammo that still worked the gun was Stinger. The Wildcat didn't work either, which makes me really question if they tested it, or if they did they probably didn't use full 10 rounds in the mag. Dunno what on earth the barrel was replaced for, I guess it's conceivable that a ramp issue might cause this but clearly it wasn't the barrel.

So, I call Kimber again, politely relating that the gun was still a mess. They sent UPS to pick it up, and as we speak it's at Kimber for repair #2.

At this stage, I think zilch of the design. I didn't know when I bought it it was nothing better than a Ciener conversion - the Kimber guy on guntalk made it sound like it was a brand new design, purpose-built and reliable .22. Ha! Well, even if it is a Ciener some people have good luck with them so obviously it's my gun that's FUBAR, but it's awfully disheartening when a $600+ gun won't run, and the cheapest pistol I ever owned (a $50 Jennings) still runs like a champ.

Kimber sounds willing to make it right, but my Spidey-sense says it will come back as finicky as ever. If that should happen, I will have to be not-so-nicee when I send it back for a replacement....fool me twice, you know the rest.

In any case, having read of others problems with these guns here and elsewhere, I'll order a Ciener aluminum mag and see if that alleviates something when it comes back, and pray that between that and Kimber's repair work the thing shoots at all. Ugh.

Anyway, glad to be aboard, I've learned a lot just by reading the forum, and now I'm a poster!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Good luck. You will love the ciener mags. Mine runs great with Wildcat. I have about 1600 rds through now with no jams. I am still a bit disappointed with the accuracy. I am sure this is do to cheap Wildcat ammo. In all the magazines the reviewers loved the gun and its accuracy but all testers used high end ammo. I dont want to spend that much money plinking. Kind of defeats the purpose of this gun. For the same money I can shoot my .45's loaded on my XL 650.
Dom

·
Administrator
75,193 Posts
$500-$600 for a .22 is ridiculous. It's a much better idea to buy a .45, then save up for a .22 top end.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dsk said:
$500-$600 for a .22 is ridiculous. It's a much better idea to buy a .45, then save up for a .22 top end.
Like I said in my initial post - Kimber marketed this as a new, dedicated .22, free of the finicky problems of the conversion units, which is why I bought it - it was supposed to be better than conversion units.

Yes, $600 was high in retrospect but if it ran and shot like it was supposed to, it would be my most used and loved gun, period. When it works, the gun is accurate, fun and feather-light. That's worth $600 to me, and plenty of other people.

Too bad the hype fogged my brain, because I should have waited to learn it was not what it was advertised to be. In looking at it, it's nothing but a Kimber alunimum frame with a Ciener conversion....not a new, redesigned .22 gun.

Therein lies the problem, IMHO.

·
Registered
132 Posts
For 600 bucks I would have bought a Ruger MKII with all the fixings, a Sig Trailside or even put some money aside for a Pardini.

I hope you get your gun back in tip top condition.

My Kimber went back to the factory for crummy finish and came back better looking after the facelift.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
45R said:
For 600 bucks I would have bought a Ruger MKII with all the fixings
Actually, for about $400 you can get a new Rugher Mk II slabside (the top of the line model). Then, rest your elbow against the side board and watch sub 1" groups at 25 yards appear... even using the cheapest garbage ammo you can find. And ZERO cycling problems. With my red dot and the gun resting on the cross board, I have delivered five-shot groups you could cover with a nickel.;)

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Wow, sorry to hear about this. I have the old Kimber .22 conversion top. I use Winchester Wildcats mostly.

In general, have very few problems, as long as I keep it clean, especially, the chamber. This is about the same as my Rugers; they are very reliable, when clean, but will mis-fire frequently when the chamber is dirty.

Of course, Rugers are half the price, and twice as accurate as my Kimber conversion top.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If kimber can't find anything wrong, why don't you just shoot it for a while and see if it wears in a bit. Make sure it is well lubricated with oil, not grease, and don't get your panties in a wad for at least 500 rounds.

That's what I would do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
He's already done that. He stated "I thought it might be break-in, so I put 1200 rounds through it, loading only 5 rounds in a mag."

It's a little bit bigger problem than breakin, IMO. I'd be a little upset as well if I'd spent that kind of money on non functioning gun.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Also sorry to hear about your problem. I have the old style Kimber conversion that was made by Ciener. No problems with it as long as I keep it clean and use high velocity ammo. CCI mini mags work very well. I actually use it in competition. The new Kimber conversion or the whole gun for that matter, is NOT made by Ciener. A friend has one and has had no problems. I am sure Kimber will get it right for you. Don't give up on 'em yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Jeffscout said:
He's already done that. He stated "I thought it might be break-in, so I put 1200 rounds through it, loading only 5 rounds in a mag."

It's a little bit bigger problem than breakin, IMO. I'd be a little upset as well if I'd spent that kind of money on non functioning gun.
OOPS!

It helps to read before you spout off! You look less like a jackass.

My apologies.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I have the same problem with my Kimber Rimfire. I think it takes a little more power to cycle the slide, instead of a bolt, like in my Mark II. As long as I use CCI Mini-mags, Eley, Stingers, or any other higher velocity ammo, it works great. It seems to work better the more you shoot it, as I have about 400 rds thru mine now. It also works better (with the cheap ammo) when the pistol is good and clean. I will try the Ceiner mag to see if that helps also. How's your accuracy? I'm pretty impressed with mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
M.A. said:
I have the same problem with my Kimber Rimfire. I think it takes a little more power to cycle the slide, instead of a bolt, like in my Mark II. As long as I use CCI Mini-mags, Eley, Stingers, or any other higher velocity ammo, it works great. It seems to work better the more you shoot it, as I have about 400 rds thru mine now. It also works better (with the cheap ammo) when the pistol is good and clean. I will try the Ceiner mag to see if that helps also. How's your accuracy? I'm pretty impressed with mine.
The accuracy of mine is stunning (for what it is) with Stinger & Minmags, both of which it prefers. That's the real let down is it such a nice shooter when it runs.

I'm fine with the idea of it only liking hot ammo, no problem but as it is now I've only found one round (Stinger) that runs half-reliably. Ugh.

We'll see, should be back this week sometime. Hopefully Kimber straightens this out. I'll report back when I know.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
Are you having problems with Stingers and Mini-mags too? I took mine out today and shot a box of standard CCIs, and had several failures to extract and feed. Shot 250 rds of Mini-mags, with zreo failures or problems. I have heard from several others who have Rimfires that they also have cycling problems with low power ammo, but get excellent results with Mini-mags. It sure sucks that you are having problems. I almost sent mine back to Kimber, but tried the Mini-mags after another Rimfire owner recommended them, and am very happy with it now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
M.A. said:
Are you having problems with Stingers and Mini-mags too?
Mini-mags won't work - same problem as every other ammo on a full mag. First 3 or 4 rounds FTF. Stingers are the sole ammo that will make the gun run reliably, and even then about every 30 rounds I get a FTF with them, and it gets progressively worse as the gun get really dirty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dada,

I would push Kimber for a new gun, I've had my .22 rimfire target for a few months with no non-ammo related problems.

It sounds like you got a gun that exhibits a stackup of high or low end tolerances that result in a lemon. We see this in the auto industry also. Kimber likley has a statistical quality control set up for their components, which means in reality that some percentage in the distribution of the "spec" may result in a gun that exhibits your problem.

They should be more than willing to swap out for you, I would think. It really is a first class gun, you're just a victim of the financial realities of controlling super tight tolerances.. Very $$$.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
dada said:
even then about every 30 rounds I get a FTF with them, and it gets progressively worse as the gun get really dirty.
FWIW< I've noticed the hotter .22 ammo burns very dirty. I have used Raptor and Stinger a couple of times for the bowling pin shoot to get some extra pop and my gun (Ruger) started jamming because the throat got loaded up. This was after about 15 rounds. It had never had a jam before in at least 5000 rounds.

It sure sounds like your FTF problems might be due to a tight barrel throat or maybe a feed ramp that could use some polishing and rounding over at the top.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bountyhunter said:
It sure sounds like your FTF problems might be due to a tight barrel throat or maybe a feed ramp that could use some polishing and rounding over at the top.
I suppose that's possible, but the feed ramp was very polished, like glass. The barrel was also replaced the first time at Kimber, with no change in performance. Perhaps they thought the same thing, but it didn't rectify the problem.

I wonder why tho, if it were barrel related, why the problem only happens on a full mag? Wouldn't it do it on every round?

Dunno...just thinking out loud.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts