1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,
I'm a former owner of a Kimber, Springfield and other brand, (don't ask, I'm too embarrased), 1911's. After temporary insanity, (gave up the 1911 and got into cowboy stuff), I came across a vey slightly used PRO BP TEN II last weekend. Good deal and I still had about 150 45 ACP rounds that won't fit in the 45 Long Colt. So, I'm back in the 1911's. Have not made it to the range yet to try her out. Have been reading alot of the posts on here and thought I would add to it. I was reading a post about a new owners disassembly troubles. So here's my woes.
Never had a bushingless barrel before and the guy I got the PRO from told me about the "take down tool". Everything was going well until I tried to remove the recoil assembly. It wouldn't budge and at first seemed to be too long to clear the barrel link. Turns out the recoil spring plug was stuck in the tunnel. Had to take a brass punch to the edge of it. Seems the friendly seller didn't believe in cleaning things too well. Easy and obvious fix but, if you've never had a 1911 before could have been a real stumper and the instruction booklet omits some steps, such as removing the guide rod assembly. Any-way, glad to be back in the 1911's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
How is it shooting for you?
And yes, that good old Kimber instruction manual - they could have done a much better job explaining the disassembly procedure. The first time I took my Kimber apart I was worried. Between the lack of detailed instructions and the spring assembly being totally stuck in place, I thought I was going to break something.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just picked up my new Pro Carry II this past Saturday and broke it down to clean it before I took it to the range. I've been shooting 1911s for many, many years but never had one without a bushing. Like you guys, the guide rod plug was so tight in the slide tunnel, it wouldn't come out even with some light taps with the old plastic-head hammer! I took it back yesterday to the dealer and his gunsmith got it out and polished the plug until it would go back in, albeit with some significant force required to get it in place. If it doesn't loosen up after a few hundred rounds, I guess I'll get after it with the Dremel myself!

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I've been fooling with 1911's for about 18 months. My first real experience was with an Argentine variant (one of the 1927's) many years ago, and I came into possession of a Combat Commander a few years ago, but never actually did anything with it until about 18 months ago.

Those two and take down (took down?) like Browning intended. A few incantations, sprinkle some Hoppe's around the bench, etc., press the plunger, and then call the ER when the plunger hits your forehead. Nothing special.... :)

Then I bought a Para Tac-Four. The disassembly instructions turned out to cover four or more different methods, depending on which gun you had, and none of them said "Tac-Four".... :scratch:

Turned out that it's just an FLGR variant. More Hoppe's on the floor, a little Wolfbane for effect, and wear goggles 'cause the hollow plunger can really tear up your forehead. (Some of the other models require additional incantations, and some herbs I'd never heard of. Not to mention screwdrivers, hex drivers, exorcists, and a copy of the Book of Revelations.... :biglaugh: )

Then I bought this fool Kimber.... (Compact Custom, actually. "Officer's" size but 4" barrel.) Little bitty "tool" thing stuck inside the manual (good luck not losing it before you get the gun home), and instructions that would have done Hogwarts proud. :p

Fortunately, I'm a glutton for punishment or something. The little pin holds the spring in compression, and you can then remove the spring and guide rod as a unit with no effort. Retract the slide and lock it open, and then stick the pin through the hole. Release the slide stop and you can take it off by moving the slide to the cutout and popping the stop out of the frame.

(Series II models - DO NOT squeeze the grip safety while trying to move the slide.)

Just don't take the spring assembly apart....

Reverse the above to re-assemble.

But, how the heck do you get the spring assembly apart? There's some "innards" there that I want to clean....

(From something I read, some models you just don't.... I don't think this is one of those.)

Regards,

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
But, how the heck do you get the spring assembly apart? There's some "innards" there that I want to clean....
The same way you are going to do it when you change the spring, which on a Pro size should be every 1000 rounds or so.

With the spring captured on the guide rod with the tool, you need to compress the plug further, remove the tool, and let the plug and spring forward off the rod. Sounds simple huh?

I use a vise to put an edge of the guide rod head against one jaw and the edge of the plug against the other. I hold my hand on top of it so it doesn't pop up out of the vise, and tighten a little so I can remove the tool. Then, loosen all the way to get the plug off the rod. Put the new spring on by reversing the process. No springs or plugs flying anywhere, no impressions or pain on your thumb.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Kruzr:

Thanks....

That's what I thought, but you haven't seen my workshop....

I haven't seen my vise for about 16 years either, but it's probably there someplace. Never re-mounted it on the workbench when we moved in here. A four-year-old, at the time, was a good reason to stay out of the basement, and I moved most of my "lightweight" projects into my office, upstairs.

She's off to college now, and I'm using her bedroom for cleaning guns, so I guess I finally won. OTOH, she showed up here on 2 January with a puppy and promptly headed back to school....

IAC, I think I can handle it.

I ordered up an arched MSH for my Compact, and agonized over whether to try to install it myself or let a local smith handle it like I did the last time for my Para. Somebody told me that it was difficult, etc.... I had an extra housing and spring laying around, and just couldn't get it to work. Even spent some time trying to find (or design/make) a tool. Nada....

When the new housing showed up, I popped the old one out of the gun (that's kiddie stuff) and since I had a punch in my hand, idly pushed in on the cup. Moved just like butter.... About a minute later I'd swapped the spring & such into the new housing, and had it installed in the gun.

(Better sit down, and grab your innards.)

It seems that you can't put a Commander spring into an Officer's MSH without tools, magic, swearing, and parts flying across the room....

However, an Officer's spring goes right into an Officer's housing.... You probably will manage to drop the little cup retaining pin, and/or the big MSH pin, but those don't count.

(I need to holler at Kuhnhausen.... That should be in the book! )

Regards,

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shoots great

I finally made it to the range yesterday. Overall I would have to say that it shot great. Shooting off hand at 25 yds, I had 2 five shot groups at 3/4"! I have never shot any handgun that well before. Probably never will again either. Recoil was very manageable considering it's light weight. That was with factory 230 gr fmj. Next came my old reloads which were 200 gr hornady jhp's. They shot to almost the same point as the 230's however I had 3 FTF's with the reloads. I used 6.5 gr of Universal. Not sure if the problem was the reloads, ie; overall length, jumping crimp, or the magazine. I did try loading one less in the mag and it seemed to function. Will try some factory JHP's and see if I have any FTF's. It definately is a shooter. Wonder what kind of groups a gold match can shoot?!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Small Digression

My apologies for the digression, but SMMAssociates, IMHO you should write a book. I have no inkling as to what about, but I know it would be hilarious to read, and I would learn alot from it. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
McKirdyP said:
My apologies for the digression, but SMMAssociates, IMHO you should write a book. I have no inkling as to what about, but I know it would be hilarious to read, and I would learn alot from it. :biglaugh:
Thanks!

I've been doing "forums" for more than 20 years, and a few people have made the same suggestion. I'm just having too much fun playing with this stuff.

(I've got a buddy who did actually write a book. About 30 pages, actually, but we're working on him. He's much better than I am, if slightly less sane. Hm.... Slightly? I wonder.... He wouldn't try to smith his own guns. He got to "point this way" in the manual and put it away.)

Regards,

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a new Eclipse Target. Pardon my ignorance, but this is my first 1911. It came with that bushing wrench thing, but do I need a "takedown tool" for it?

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
jacksonian said:
I have a new Eclipse Target. Pardon my ignorance, but this is my first 1911. It came with that bushing wrench thing, but do I need a "takedown tool" for it?
No, you only need the take down tool on the bull barrel guns without the bushings.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Kruzr said:
You guys are using the tool to put in the hole in the guide rod, right?
You mean the large paper clip I bent to match the picture? Works great in the used PRO CDP I just got. Easy to take apart with the downloaded manual and my custom takedown tool.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts