1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first 1911 handgun. I have a Mil-Spec WWII model. I like it and have much to learn. I feel in good hands here with you guys. You'll probably be seeing a lot of questions from me and I will try not to pester you too much.

I like the pistol a lot. Cost me $380.00 + tax. From my initial readings here I would like to know:

Is there a website to order some good wood grips for this pistol?

What reliable mags should I buy and where should I buy them?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Congratulations on your new 1911; the Mil-Spec WWII models are very nice.

For grips, this site has a Hardware and Accessories forum (link) where you can read what others have had to say about the grips they've bought.

You might also try http://www.woodgrips.com/

As for the magazines, I would wait until you've put about 500 rounds through the gun. The magazines you've got might be just fine.

-Dave

·
Registered
809 Posts
If you are going for the traditional look then you may not wish to go with aluminum grips, but if you are willing to leave the wood check out alumagrips. www.alumagrips.com

Theo

·
Registered
274 Posts
Murray,

You can find most anything you need in the way of parts here. They also carry several styles of grips.

www.brownells.com

I've had good luck with both Wilson and Mc Cormick 8 rd mags. You can also find them at Brownells.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Murray. Edward here from another board you frequent. You definitely found THE 1911 board. Tons of great info here.

On grips I am currently lusting for a set of Carbon creations.

On mags I use USGI for play and Wilson Combat for serious stuff. I add bumper pads to all of them (Springfield or homebrew).

I'm on my third SA; one park mil-spec and 2 stainless.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got a set of the double diamond grips from Brownells and found them to be a bit larger than the stock plastic ones. I have decided to keep the original on the pistol as it is used for CCW and the grips are better suited for that due to the smaller size...I am even starting to think they aren't really THAT ugly..

I am using the original mag and it has worked fine for 300 rounds.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just received my new Colt Walnut double diamond cut grips from CDNN.(no Colt logo)

they cost $19.95

They also offer rosewood double diamond cut grips for $22.95

I haven't seen those, but if they are as nice as the Walnuts, I'd say go buy them.

Catch is they charge $9 for shipping, so make sure you get enough stuff from them (they got a lot of magazines) to make it worth your order.

Good Luck.

Here's the link:

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here are the grips:

Walnut $19.99

McCormick Rosewood $22.99

McCormick Ultra thin rosewood $38.99

Rubber wrap around $7.99

Colt rubber wrap around w/logo $12.99

·
Registered
128 Posts
As far as magazines go, keep an eye out for sales over at Midway USA. I picked up a 10 pack of Colt marked magazines for $52 shipped to my door when they ran their last sale. So far, I haven't had a problem with any of them. Much cheaper than the SA mags even with the coupon.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Robino: Very nice look.

I'm trying to get an understanding of the ultra thin grips. Are they thinner than the stock grips of this pistol? What are the advantages/disadvantages?

I have already seen that I have come to the right place. Thanks much to all.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Welcome MurrayNevada from NevadaPistolero. What part of Nv are you in. Im in Reno, lots of gun shows around here, theres one this weekend at the fairgrounds and one on the 20th at the convention center. You can get mil-spec 1911 military 7 round mags pretty decent priced, Ive got a WW2 mil-spec and I put Hogue rubber grip panels on it, its got a nice feel to it. You can get those for around $12.00. Wilson and McCormack both make good mags. Check out ebay, always good deals on 1911 grips and mags.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thin grips provide less bulk for concealed carry and a better fit should you have smaller hands. I know one guy with average size hands who uses them because he says the more rectangular (as opposed to squarish with thick grips) profile they provide give him a better instinctive sense of where the pistol is pointed. I dunno about that last point since I always use the sights.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts