1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short while ago I had posted that I was considering a Wilson Hackathorn Commander in stainless. I found what I wanted in 9mm & picked it up today. After the paperwork I put 200 rounds through it and it performed perfectly with the one exception of not locking back after the last round only once. Not a single jam with 7 of the mags I have that are a mix of WC & NHC. I’m very pleased with the fit & finish of this Wilson. I find it to be on par with my 2 NHC guns. I was a little hesitant due to a thread on a member having problems with his in 45 acp but I’m glad I went ahead. I consider this one money well spent.

·
Premium Member
5,404 Posts
Sounds like a great little gun. If the mags are new, load them up and leave them loaded for a few days to set the springs.

My CQB Commander that was ordered before the Hackathorn came out and is virtually identical has just reached the 9,000 round mark. One malfunction on the second round fired a FTRB and has functioned flawlessly since then.

You will love yours.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that the blazer brass 115g wasn’t pushing the slide hard enough. Ejection was a little weak. I don’t know what recoil spring weight the gun comes with. Maybe I should order a lighter spring.

·
Premium Member
5,404 Posts
I was thinking that the blazer brass 115g wasn’t pushing the slide hard enough. Ejection was a little weak. I don’t know what recoil spring weight the gun comes with. Maybe I should order a lighter spring.
Some people have had better luck on the break in using 124 gr bullets. I can't really speak to that as I don’t shoot any 115’s.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I’ve got the 4” 9mm... same issue occasionally. I’ve since clipped a couple coils off the recoil spring and that seems to have cured it.

Proceed at your own risk! But it’s just a spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,634 Posts
I’ve got the 4” 9mm... same issue occasionally. I’ve since clipped a couple coils off the recoil spring and that seems to have cured it.

Proceed at your own risk! But it’s just a spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have shot 135 gr. for break-in on both of mine, and have had no malfs. After that, I have shot 115 gr. to 147 gr., with all sorts of nose designs, and had no problems. IIRC, the 9mm's come with 11 lb. recoil springs installed, for breaking in with 124 gr. +, however, if you want to break-in with 115 gr. use a 10 lb. spring.

BTW, the one I shoot most often now is my Hackathorn Special Commander 9mm (blued), and has become my default training class gun for the classes I give. Great gun!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Good luck with your new pistol. My experience with 9mm was a Springfield Range Officer Compact. I ended up buying 8 magazines to come up with 3 that ran 100% and reliably locked open. I had Wilsons, Metalforms, Checkmates, and a couple other brands. One day I realized that my .45 CCO was no harder to carry or shoot, so the Range Officer went away.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As we all know right now buying ammo is not an option so I will have to shoot what I have. I think I have some 124g. My friend from the range (general manager) reloads & he mentioned about doing some 135g reloads by next week so I’ll try those. Again I’m very pleased with this gun & really no malfunctions. The weak ejection I’m sure now after reading what you guys said will be remedied.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Follow up to my 1st range report. I bought a 9/10& 11# recoil springs to try out for the 115g loads that I was getting weak ejection from. I put the 10# in first & I had malfunctions in the 1st mag that caused a jam like there wasn’t enough spring power to return to battery. I put the original spring back in & even with the 115g loads I got good ejection. No malfunctions the rest of the day. I put 100 rounds of Federal 124g through it with good ejection & no malfunctions. I can’t explain the weak ejection the 1st day but I don’t care. The gun runs great & really is a ball to shoot. I’m extremely happy with my 1st Wilson.

·
Registered
519 Posts
You have one very fine pistol. The Hackathorn is a very nice set up of options. My 9mm ULC Commander is very similar to the Hackathorn Commander. Only have around 3500 rounds thru it but never an issue of any type.

When I carry a 9mm I use the 124 gr +P HST round. I like the extra power working the slide with a bit more oomph than the 147 gr. rounds.

Enjoy your pistol! BTW, got a picture or two?

JW

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I wish I knew how to post pictures. I don’t even own a computer just an IPhone. Being a senior citizen I didn’t grow up with the electronic stuff of today. I’m actually surprised that I can do what I can do on my phone. It was a real learning curve.

·
Premium Member
5,404 Posts
Glad to hear that it is running really well, now. It will be a fantastic gun for you.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sounds nice, enjoy. My 2 NHC Commanders are a lot of fun to shoot. In fact the majority of my 1911s, both 9mm & 45 acp, are Commanders.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts