1911Forum banner

New here. Is SA a good start?

899 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Ugly-Jeep-Truck
I am new to 1911. I am looking for a good 1911 pistol. I was looking at the Mil-Spec. It is well within my price range. Is SA reliable? I don't wanna keep having work done on it. Would this be a good start, or should I look at something else. Looking to use it for target/range, and duty carry. What about for competition?

[This message has been edited by BKC45ACP (edited 09-25-2001).]
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
812 Posts
In my experiance S/A's are reliable.I have a 2001 loaded full size & other than shortening the front site to shoot POA it's perfect. Most of the name brands are good, (Colt/Kimber/& S/A) Of course Springfield has the lifetime warr.

------------------
O.K., My Turn

· Registered
386 Posts
I just bought my first gun and I have to say that I couldn't be happier with my choice -- a Springfield 1911-A1 TRP. Yes, it dug deep into my savings, but a good gun will last a life time. Its an elegant piece, and I continue to get compliments on it. Its eas to shoot, and is true to its 2" group specifications. The Lifetime Warrenty is an added bonus, and from what I hear they don't fuss about it either.

As for buying parts, I'm quickly learning that this isn't so much a mode necessary for repairing the gun. Its just fun! i'd be surprised if you don't end up with a set of recoil springs, shock buffers, .22 conversion kit, 6 magazines, bushing wrench, and an assortment of maintanace brushes, lubs and gadgets. ENJOY!

[This message has been edited by ShootinSpirit (edited 09-26-2001).]

· Registered
3,837 Posts
I too bought a SA 1911A1. I had to taake adantage of the warranty, but they got it back in decent time. I haven't shot it yet to confirm the fix. That said, I would buy the SA Mil-Spec.

Since you are new here, you may not know of Dane Burns, but he has said some nice things about SA's quality and particularly about SA's Mil Spec model. Please do not let me put words in his mouth. Do a search for this at www.pistolsmith.com to see for yourelf.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input all. I haven't been able to shoot any SA 1911's, but I have been trying out similar weapons made by Colt, Para, and the like. The price on the SA is more managable and the lifetime warranty sounds really good.

· Registered
914 Posts
Have your dealer check with Accusport. They have the Mil-Specs at a sale price right now. My dealer had one in the case today for 459. When you think about it, a blued Colt 1991A1 isn't much higher. Same warranty, but Colt is a little harder to get along with on warranty claims from my experience.

I'd look into both of them. The Colt has improved roll marks now. Read about them on the Colt section of this site.

Regards.

· Registered
882 Posts
Accusport had mil specs!!! They were out as of two days ago, well thats what the guy told me anyways, I reeeealy think they are tired of my calling them for inventory..LOL, that being said, for me it was a tossup between a few models, one of them being the mil spec, but the only thing I dislike about it is the damn angled slide serations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.