1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it take 2 hands to get a gun out of a holster,does that make it better.I bought a big name holster and I thought it was made 2 sizes to small.I was very dissapointed.I do not buy in to this your have to put a gun in a plastic bag and leave in a holster for 2 weeks.My galco and kramer holster you did not.But they are suppose to be junk.What if your were a police officer and you need the holster to night? sure a holster 2 sizes to small will hold a gun tight,but you can;t draw it either.to me,when you pay $75-$100 you should not have to leave a gun in it for 2 weeks in a plastic bag.That is my 2 cent worth,tell me yours.

------------------
Ray

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I've had holster that were (almost) as tight as yours...unfortunately, I know of no other way to break them in, than to wear them, and practice a few hundred draws. Abit of silicone spray inside the holster may help.

There are others more suited to responding to this question (Lou!), but I don't think that this situation is that uncommon (?)

You aren't putting a Desert Eagle into a Seecamp holster, right?

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
A quality leather holster, just like a quality pair of leather shoes, will require some break-in. Leather will stretch and if the holster is to be sufficiently tight when it is broken-in, it must be a fairly snug when new. There are techniques (the plastic bag) and products (silicone goop) that can ease this process.

If one must have a holster that is ready-to-go right out of the box, get a Kydex holster. For shoes that are ready-to-go, get sneakers.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited 03-13-2001).]

·
Registered
645 Posts
Brownells has a new 4-way leather care conditioner that might help. Part # 100-000-132, five bucks.

Always get a holster with an adjustable tension screw. Then it can be a loose goose or a tight...well, you know.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Razor
Here are the instructions that I follow that came with one of my holsters.I will abreviate
break in :If it is tight , to break it in quickly use silicone.
Spray the weapon with silicone and work it in and out of the holster several times.Repeat as needed until the desired level of retention is achieved.

He also suggest wearing the holster for a full day ,before you were it in public.also a minimun of 100 presentations (draws) shall be done. use wax on the outside to keep moisture out.
These reccomendations come from a custom holster manufacturer and apply I think only to his holsters.
As shane said maybe we need a second opinion (lou!).

I personally use KG-9 on the inside as it is a product designed for the purpose of aiding a fast draw. Also it cuts down somewhat on horsehide squeak.
Hope this helps

[This message has been edited by CMC (edited 03-14-2001).]

M

·
0 Posts
Most, if not all custom makers form the holster exact to the gun. This makes for a very secure fit. When the holster is formed there is also no belt tension on the holster. With a new holster it has to break in or take a set, in other words it will stretch.

The holster also shrinks a little more after the form gun is removed and continues to dry. This probably accounts for a good deal of the initial tightness of a custom holster.

In the long run, once the holster has broken in it will retain the quailities that make custom, custom.

I have had one mag pouch over the years that ended up being just to tight. The customer try as he might just could not get it to break in. As any custom maker would do, I gladly made another one from the same pattern, same form, same stitch template and used a different cut of leather. The customer said it was the fastest he had ever owned.

Try as one might to keep consistancy in the hide, each hide is different and has it's own charectersitics.

Silicon works wonders as others have mentioned.

------------------
Waldon Holster Co.
Custom Crafted Perfection

Quality Holsters at an Affordable Price
[email protected]
www.waldonholsters.com

[This message has been edited by MarkW (edited 03-13-2001).]

·
Registered
624 Posts
Razor, I sure hope that isn't one of mine, but if it is, just send it back if it's too tight.
Mark W gave an excellent response as to why some holsters are tighter than others. When we make up an order for 20 or 30 of the same holsters, and the're cut all at the same time,
using up two or three hides, some of the holsters will be perfect, and others we have to stretch before they leave the shop. We mostly use real guns for fitting to make sure that the holsters are correct, but even that sometimes can be a problem.
You didn't say who the maker was, and what gun it's for, ie: a Springfield 1911 will be
extremely tight in a holster molded with a Colt, or a Kimber, due to the larger dustcover on the Springfield. This has been a problem of late, because many people order holsters for '1911' pistols, and don't mention the maker. We automatically will by default, use a Colt mold, only to find out that the customer has a Springfield, and we then have to re-make the holster. When a customer orders a holster in person from us, we make sure we have all that info, but sometimes the orders come in from dealers, and they aren't asking the proper questions.
In any event, I'm sure the maker would take care of this problem for you. It shouldn't be so tight that the plastic bag overnight wouldn't work, unless, like I said, it's for the wrong gun.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.
You'll never know it's there, until you need it.

[This message has been edited by Louis F. Alessi (edited 03-14-2001).]

·
Registered
624 Posts
Originally posted by Razor:
If it take 2 hands to get a gun out of a holster,does that make it better.I bought a big name holster and I thought it was made 2 sizes to small.I was very dissapointed.I do not buy in to this your have to put a gun in a plastic bag and leave in a holster for 2 weeks.My galco and kramer holster you did not.But they are suppose to be junk.What if your were a police officer and you need the holster to night? sure a holster 2 sizes to small will hold a gun tight,but you can;t draw it either.to me,when you pay $75-$100 you should not have to leave a gun in it for 2 weeks in a plastic bag.That is my 2 cent worth,tell me yours.

Razor, I just noticed the comment about Galco, and Kramer holsters "supposed to be junk". I don't know who would have said this, but Galco, and Kramer both make excellent products. Neither of them are cheap in price, but both makers are high on quality, and will stand behind their work.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not to worry, Luigi! The holster he is refering to is one of ours. He apparently purchased the holster from one of our vendors two weeks ago and emailed me for the first time yesterday with the problem before he posted this topic. I suggested that he visit our website first and read our FAQ on "causes" and how to deal with a too tight holster and if he needed any clarification to give me a call and I would talk him through the process.

I also explained to him the difference in dust cover dimentions of the various 1911's and how that might affect the fit.

99% percent of the time the plastic bag trick will solve the problem without having to send the holster back. The other 1% will require the holster be sent back to us to be re-blocked or replaced if neccessary.

Anybody who has dealt with us, knows we will stand behind our product. If it is neccessary to advance to the next step all Razor needs to do is give us a call. I was waiting to hear back from him.

Anyways, that is where we stand at this point.

Tony

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc
www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the good advice I have gotten. I did not mean to offend anyone or make anyone mad. Was having a bad day,and you know how that goes.I have the gun in a plastic bag in the holster right now.I am sure it will turn out fine. I will have to say that the people at Milt Sparks were real helpful and I would sure buy another holster from them.please look over me,have not got to shoot much lately. Thanks all, Ray

------------------
Ray

·
Registered
624 Posts
Tony, Whew, that was a relief. We have had a few lately that were real tight after being recieved by the customer. Even though we go through great pains to make sure they fit properly before they leave the shop.
Lou

------------------
Alessi Holsters, Inc.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Razor,
No offense taken here. If the plastic bag trick doesn't work for you, give me a call so we can rectify the problem.

Lou,
I think all of us try to make sure everything is right before the product leaves the shop. Sometimes for various reasons beyond anybodys control, problems are unavoidable.

It gets kind of expensive to have the customer send something back to be repaired or replaced not to mention the frayed nerves it sometimes causes. We always hope to get it right the first time.

Tony

------------------
Milt Sparks Holsters, Inc.
http://www.miltsparks.com
[email protected]
Second Best is not an option

·
Registered
940 Posts
Speaking from experience, I think computers should have stress monitors so you can't post while under stress, tired, whatever. I'm not getting onto you, Razor, just saying it from my own experience. I earned myself a time out once because I posted under the influence (of being angry).

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buzz, I agree.It is easy to critize. Thank the good lord we have a 1911 to put in a holster.

------------------
Ray

1 - 14 of 14 Posts