1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening. New HI Power owner here. I just bought an Argentine Hi Power and would like some history - if possible. The serial number is 07787. It is marked POLICIA PROV. BS. AIRES -61. There is an engraved crest near the rear sight on top of the slide. Wooden grips. On the slide stop side it is marked in worn engraving: Herstal D'arizes and other word - (SP - it is worn) Herstal Belgique. It is also marked patent DEPOSF. There are various "K" marking on many parts externally & internally. Clearly it has not been refinished.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you all in advance. (If you need more info or pics - ask - I will do my best to answer.)
Regards,
D

Attachments

·
Registered
771 Posts
Very nice looking pistol!

I don't know that much about the Argentine High Powers, but it looks like you might have a 1961 internal extractor model, manufactured under contract by FN/Belgium for Argentine police.

There may be additional small marks indicating the quarter of the year the parts were stamped. These date codes may vary from part to part. You would be looking for a backwards number in a partial square box.

In your pictures, I am unable to clearly see details of any markings.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very nice looking pistol!

I don't know that much about the Argentine High Powers, but it looks like you have a 1961 internal extractor model, manufactured under contract by FN/Belgium for Argentine police.

There may be additional small marks indicating the quarter of the year the parts were stamped. These date codes may vary from part to part. You would be looking for a backwards number in a partial square box.

Cheers,

Tim
Thank you.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Very nice find and it looks to be in pretty good condition.

I have a FN High Power from the same contract, serial number 06787 marked Policia Prov. BS Aires-61, and Div Interna Sec. Internal extractor and no thumb print depression. Most parts on my pistol are production marked from 1962. Mine too as the *K inspector mark, which refers to Walthere DElsaux, who worked as an inspector at FN between 1929 and 1968. As TNorris states, look for small backward number in a box or partial box. See my last image below for the year and quarter mark 1962 on the barrel foot. Also look on the back of the slide stop, trigger and hammer, firing pin plate etc.

Vanderlinden, in his book FN Browning Pistols, second edition states " In the postwar era Argentina purchased thousands of fixed sighted High Power pistols for the Bueno Aires police department, the bulk purchased in 1960 and shipped early in 1961." Some were marked only with the Policia Prov BS Aires -61, others had the Div Internal Sec, which I have read may have been part of the secret police. He states most were originally rust blue. Many were later sold in the US as surplus, with most being refinished in a phosphate or painted finish.

A few images of mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is wonderful! Thank you so much for the information. Your pistol is beautiful. I wonder if the book is still in print? I will do a search and see what comes up. This is a wonderful forum. Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Regards,
D

·
Registered
801 Posts
Vanderlinden's 2nd edition is now out of print. You might find a used one, but they are getting a bit pricey. Greatly expanded third edition is expected later this year.

Link
book: FN Browning Pistols Sidearms that shaped World History

also, Blake Steven's book is very good, The Browning High Power Automatic Pistol
The Browning High Power Automatic Pistol: R. Blake Stevens: 9780889350892: Amazon.com: Books

and from a technical viewpoint rather than historical, take a look at Stephen Camp's book and disassembly guide
The Shooter

New Page 1

These three books should be in every Hi Power owner's/collector's library.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cleaned up the Argentine Hi Power & took it to the range yesterday. Ran several hundred rounds of aluminum and brass and steel case 115 fmj grain through. Also one mag of IWI die cut hollow point. All fed and ejected perfectly. Here are a few pics from 7 -10 yards. I like it.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I think I will look at upgrades: larger safety, better sights, maybe a whole spring kit, etc. Suggestions? This will be a carry gun. Budget? What is a life worth?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
FWIW, I would be inclined to keep it as is. Being 60 years old it falls into the Curio & Relic category which, while not exactly a big deal does give it a certain amount of appeal based on current condition. Reworking it wouldn't quite be like polishing a 1913 Liberty head nickel, more like a few Morgan silver dollars. But still, something to be said for leaving it alone. Even if it was refinished a while back. Looks like my later 89's Argentine HP.

But, it's all yours so your call.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Nice pistol! Good find. Have kicked myself a few times for not picking up on some deals in the past. There are some really knowledgeable guys here that I’m sure will help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FWIW, I would be inclined to keep it as is. Being 60 years old it falls into the Curio & Relic category which, while not exactly a big deal does give it a certain amount of appeal based on current condition. Reworking it wouldn't quite be like polishing a 1913 Liberty head nickel, more like a few Morgan silver dollars. But still, something to be said for leaving it alone. Even if it was refinished a while back. Looks like my later 89's Argentine HP.

But, it's all yours so your call.
Very fair thoughts, sir. I never looked at it from that perspective. Thank you for the comments.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Again, thank you all for the wonderful knowledge and insights. I would like some additional info, please. A friend has given me a few KRD magazines for the HI Power. The magazines are old and need some TLC. Any idea where I can purchase springs and followers? I have researched the company and not been very successful in locating a dealer. Would anyone have any experiences with perhaps using other company's springs and or followers?

Again, thank you all in advance.
Regards,

·
Registered
771 Posts
Again, thank you all for the wonderful knowledge and insights. I would like some additional info, please. A friend has given me a few KSD magazines for the HI Power. The magazines are old and need some TLC. Any idea where i can purchase springs and followers? I have researched the company and not been very successful in locating a dealer. Would anyone have any experiences with perhaps using other company's springs and or followers?

Again, thank you all in advance.
Regards,
In my opinion, you will be better served by purchasing new MecGar magazines. They are plentiful and not overpriced... also the best you can buy. I see no value in refurbishing old magazines unless there is no other option.

Cheers,

Tim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In my opinion, you will be better served by purchasing new MecGar magazines. They are plentiful and not overpriced... also the best you can buy. I see no value in refurbishing old magazines unless there is no other option.

Cheers,

Tim
Many thanks. Yes, I agree. I was thinking of keeping them as period pieces for the HP, too. They come from the same time period, too.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My Argentine was made for export, ended up in Israel, came to US with the pile of imports from Israel and ended up in a WWII shoulder holster here in Texas where a few feral hogs have become it’s victims.
Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Mammal Wood

1 - 17 of 17 Posts