1911Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK. Picked up a very slightly used blued Taurus Model 605-B 2" barrel .357 Magnum 5 shot revolver a couple of days ago. I intended to use it as a BUG and also possibly for pocket carry, for those times I couldn't carry my OACP 1911 due to either clothing, it's weight, etc.

However, this is only the third revolver I've ever owned, and it's the first in over ten years - back then, rubber grips were just becoming standard equipment only on certain models, and from certain makers. Also, back then, I just grabbed whatever speedloaders and holsters I could find that would fit a revolver (I didn't know any better then). All of that stuff is long gone now, and I have nothing for a revolver anymore.

I'm looking for:

Decent revolver holster designs (pocket, IWB, Belt, and maybe shoulder and ankle). I would think that a design that puts the cylinder either above or below the beltline (on belt-area holsters) would be best - is this correct?

Spare ammo options - speedloaders, Bianchi strips, whatever. Pros/cons, availability, etc. Also, in speedloaders, what is the most compact, yet easiest design to use? I've never thought the HKS type that you have to turn a knob to release the rounds (on a cylinder that would also spin at the same time unless you held it steady - not a great solution if you need to feed it fast) was the greatest. I'd like to know what else is available for this.

Grips - The grip that came on the 605 is what I believe Taurus calls it's "combat" type rubber grip. It extends quite a bit below the grip frame, which isn't great for concealability - especially if you want to carry in a pocket, or on your ankle. I've seen on Taurus' website that they sell a "boot" type rubber grip that seems shorter for $9, as well as a wooden one of similar design. I'd just like to know what would be most appropriate for carry use (read: compact, concealable, and non-grabby on clothing, yet is comfortable enough to fire full-house .357's if necessary without killing my hand), and where/what model/how much if possible.

As far as the Taurus itself goes, even though I haven't fired it yet (I've only had it for three days so far), I'm very pleased with it so far. Finish is VERY good, just like other Taurus' I own/have owned. There are tool marks on the trigger, hammer, and the face of the cylinder (as well as internally and on non-showing areas of the frame), but they do not inhibit function or look bad at all. The trigger and hammer were a little rusty when I picked it up, but once cleaned off, the case-colouring showed up nicely, and is attractive. The DA trigger is a bit heavy, but it doesn't feel bad at all (and I'm a big single action fan). No stacking like in most DA or DAO auto pistols, and very controllable. SA trigger is crisp, with no creep or overtravel at all. Only gripe here is the SA trigger feels very light - which I understand can be common with DA/SA revolvers of this type from almost anybody. Sights, while plain black (not my favourite at all) are finished in matte, in contrast to the rest of the finish which is polished. Front sight has a serrated face. Back sight is just a channel cut into the frame, but it looks just fine.

This revolver is nice and safe, too, with it's transfer-bar action. While it doesn't have a Smith's nice, satisfying "clicks" when cocking the hammer, it does inspire confidence - both in the weapon being ready if needed, and also in it being safe if it isn't needed right away.

Disappointments: The rounds rattle in the chambers (forward and back), which may be a revolver thing, I don't know. Has the now-ubiquitious "safety" system where a key is used to lock the action - both of the keys for my revolver are missing, which bothers me a little. I will obtain replacements from Taurus immediately. The other thing that bothers me is the key "safety" cannot be removed or permanently disabled, as far as I could tell. More research is indicated here. The left side of the rubber grip does interfere a little with loading/reloading the cylinder, which may again be a revolver-class issue. Having only 5 rounds on tap bothers me a bit, which is why it will play as a back-up/deep concealment arm only.

Pros: It's light, even though it's all steel. Ammo in .38 Special, .38 Spl +P, and .357 Magnum is plentiful, and CHEAP (not as cheap as .22 LR or 9x19mm, but little is these days). Caliber is proven man-stopper in the +P and magnum loadings, even from this weapon's short 2" barrel. Looks large, but it's really compact - deceptively so.

Gave y'all a mini-review for your trouble! Any advice and/or assistance you can provide with selecting the accessories I need for my new (to me) Taurus will be greatly appreciated.

· Registered
156 Posts
I have no experience with the Taurus, but I carry my 2" S&W 642 .38 in my right front pocket in a Robert Mikas holster. http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/prodnfo.html They are a great holster for the money. The coolest shoulder holster I've seen for the J-frame size guns is Ken Null's SKR, but I haven't ordered one yet. For reloads I use the low profile Safariland speedloaders in a nylon double pouch...think it may have been by Uncle Mike's, but I don't remember for sure. They're inconspicuous and won't be noticed by anyone but another revolver shooter. Loads are Federal Hydrashock +P 129 gr JHP's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.