1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good evening, ladies and gents! It's been a while since I last posted. I've been a bit preoccupied with my first loves (M1 Carbines and Garands) lately... I know-- blasphemy! Those of you who remember me might recall I had purchased a '44 Remington Rand early last year. All things considered, it was a fairly nice firearm, but it had significant finish wear and appeared to have been buffed to a high luster by the previous owner.

I've since purchased this '43 Ithaca from a reputable seller on Gun Broker for just under $2,000. It looks to me to be the original finish, and I think it's got a nice patina to it. Ithaca's are not my specialty, so I can't say for certain whether the mainspring housing and slide stop are correct for this piece, but that's rather trivial to me. I'd greatly appreciate your feedback. Thanks in advance!

P.S. What's the general consensus regarding stenciled rack numbers on grips? Do folks typically keep or remove them?

Wood Gun accessory Rectangle Everyday carry Composite material

Trigger Air gun Automotive exterior Gas Gun accessory

Hood Gas Trigger Carbon Gun accessory

Bicycle part Material property Metal Musical instrument accessory Font

Bumper Material property Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Carbon

Bumper Tool Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Wood Natural material Metal Composite material

Hand Revolver Finger Rectangle Fashion accessory

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
The SN is a bit too late to have checkered slide stop and MSH. Also one or both grips are post war replacement, and magazine also from 1970s.

Would be interested to see barrel and markings to ID. There is another marking that I cannot clearly tell. P or R? Usually the original should not have marking in that area.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Synthetic rubber Automotive exterior

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for chiming in, mlin. I was aware of the magazine being a later replacement, as the seller had disclosed this in the description. It was mentioned that the barrel was HS marked, but no photos of these markings were included. I'm assuming the "marking" you're seeing is simply a casting anomaly or other impression, but I'll have to reserve my judgement until I have the gun in my hot little hands.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My CMP Ithaca came with different left (correct) and right (post war replacement) grips, both with different rack numbers. I replaced the right side with correct grips, and left the rack number on the left. i think it adds something to the pistols look.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'O' for Ogden Arsenal - usually has a 'G' near it. Most likely a rebuild/refinish.
Thanks for the info! I figured as much. It's my understanding that most of the guns in our arsenal had been overhauled extensively or rebuilt at least three times.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My CMP Ithaca came with different left (correct) and right (post war replacement) grips, both with different rack numbers. I replaced the right side with correct grips, and left the rack number on the left. i think it adds something to the pistols look.
Duly noted, thanks! I have a couple of Keyes grip panels in excellent condition out in my parts bin, but I believe they're both for the same (right-hand) side.

My primary interest is WW2, but I'm also cognizant of the fact the 1911 served faithfully in multiple wars and engagements, and so I'm just not too keen on going around and muddling with something just for the sake of making it "correct" to its as-issued state, you know?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice find on that Ithaca, good looking USGI 1911A1! I think the rack numbers look pretty cool.

I have an Ithaca that the serial number is only about 1400 earlier than yours.
Thank you. Yours sure is a beaut... you can be real proud of it! I really like the surrounding ephemera also.

·
Premium Member
16,908 Posts
The problem in correcting it is the pistol has been outside of government custody for an unknown period of time - so, there's no way of knowing what configuration it was in when last in that custody. You could correct it to the way it left Ithaca but that would be a rather pointless pursuit. The best thing is to enjoy it as it is, as you seem to have decided. Without the knowledge that it didn't come directly from CMP, its simply another rebuild, same as many others.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I concur, 1saxman. Of course... aren't most CMP pistols also rebuilds, or do I misunderstand the point you're trying to convey?

I'd be willing to bet money on your assessment that it's an Ogden Arsenal rebuild, as you say. I'm thinking the "G" is likely just above the mag catch, as there appears to be some sort of icon there. In some of the other examples I've seen, the "O" and the "G" can be quite far apart.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I picked up the Ithaca yesterday! I'm in love... just the right amount of battle scars and saltiness! I was able to verify that the barrel is in fact a High Standard, which is nice and bright with strong rifling.

Wood Air gun Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

Vertebrate Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

Wood Revolver Rectangle Flash photography Air gun

Reactions: 309258

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Congratulations, nice gun you got there

I have one with a slightly lower serial number
Yours sure is a pretty little thing; looks like it's straight from the production floor! Interesting series of markings just to the right of the slide stop, on the right-hand-side.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Keep the rack number. That shows it was a real USGI pistol. I was a Military Policeman in the Marines and my 1911 was Rack # 1 so just next to yours.
I sure will! I like to do still life photos with different militaria, so I'll likely just put a dab of oil on the grip screw threads and just very lightly snug them-- that way I can easily swap them for WW2-era Keyes if the photo requires it. I'll keep the original grips with rack numbers installed otherwise.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts