1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first holster for my first 1911 and it arrived today. I wanted to make a modestly priced first holster purchase as the 1911 is a new ballgame for carry, having carried a Glock for years I didn't want to spend a fortune until I am sure I want to make the switch. Olson uses gun_leather on ebay and has 845 feedback, 100% positive, he will receive another from me.

Holster was made by Richard Olson, in Rosenberg, Texas. Based on the initials on the holster it is Richard Olson Gunleather. Price was $39.99, $5 shipping and Texas sales tax. It was sent first class mail with delivery confirmation, in an appropriate box with bubble wrap. Postage was $3.07. It was purchased on ebay in stock, ordered and paid on a Monday, shipped Tuesday, arrived Thursday.

Holster is black leather, reinforced top with two snapped loops...

I'm no leather expert but there is no ragged stitching, unraveling and it seems to fit together nicely.

The top

The bottom

The logo

Stitching

Together at last...with my RIA G.I.

Top down

Open bottom...

I have the RIA GI in a plastic bag in the holster for overnight, and will give it a run at 3:30 or 4 o'clock tomorrow morning and see what carrying a 1911 is all about... :)

I'll try to bump the thread in a week or two and see how this holster and my 1911 adjustment goes.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Looks like a well made holster to me! :rock:

My only complaint with that general style of holster is that it adds some unneeded thickness to the gun.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i like that style of holster, need to get another one. had one for years and the only complaint i had is i want one with the extra piece of leather that goes between the thumb saftey and my body.. lol...

russel
SDMF

·
Registered
70 Posts
yeah IWB holsters are pretty cool, I love mine. It conceals my 4" SA Champion very well..

I just hope theres not a round chambered in your gun with a mag loaded and safety off, like the pic suggest.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[QUOTE
I just hope theres not a round chambered in your gun with a mag loaded and safety off, like the pic suggest.[/QUOTE]

Indeed a violation on my part. There was no round chambered, or any in the magazine for that matter, but nonetheless the safety should be on.

I have it on today for the first time....feels kinda strange.

·
Registered
42 Posts
How bout a picture of it on your body. How does it feel, how does it conceal?

ka

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kingairpilot said:
How bout a picture of it on your body. How does it feel, how does it conceal?

ka
Lemme see if I can get that pic tonight.

As for the feel when I say "strange" take into account that I am not used to carrying a 1911. I have no other 1911 hoster experience to compare it to, there are many people here who have tried enough things to compare.

As for first impressions it seems comfortable enough. I have a desk job, and it has not bit me yet. When I first got in the truck this morning, the hammer bit me a little but once I was seated normally it was fine. If I bend to my right from the waist obviously I feel it.

I am wearing a sportscoat and there is no issue with printing from me studying the mirror. There is only one other gun savvy person in the office and I will ask him what he sees. I also have a shoot me first vest that I put on for a minute and it looked fine under that too.

Walking around is fine, very comfortable. From my view turning a full twist to the left (I'm RH) there is no visible print on the jacket, same when leaning forward. I'm 6'3", 300 and have a handle (svelte I am not) so your mileage may vary.

One thing that interests me is the difference in this holster with the loop placements as they are and say a Sparks VM II style with them much wider apart.

As it is so far I have no complaints.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Beautiful holster, thanks for the pictures. If you have a weblink, please provide yet.

Yes, Jeff Cooper is right. A 1911 can be carried concealed...but with your stature and build I think you could cc almost any pistol. Us small guys have no such luck. Fortunately in California concealed carrry just doesn't come up....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Updated with a few more pics

Took some amateur pics of the gun/holster concealed and on a dress belt.

Concealed under jacket, no big deal, not difficult to conceal...

Twisting to the left trying to make it print in the jacket...

In an open shootme vest with arms extended forward

Shootme vest twisting left

No cover golf shirt, dress belt (gun belt makes a big comfort difference). Hammer does bite some particularly in the car, but I attribute it to my condition fatguygonnabiteyaitis...

All in all still very pleased with the purchase. One thing I might do differently is to get a gun that has the leather piece that shields the hammer and back of the slide, like I believe the MS Summer Special does. Not bad for $39, wearing my Wilderness Tactical belts make a huge difference.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For the money these are great holsters, Not a full blown custom by no means, but they do work very well, Gun_Leather on EBay was great and shipping was fast. I got one for my Glock 30 and use it everyday.
I really should pick up another one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Darren said:
For the money these are great holsters, Not a full blown custom by no means, but they do work very well, Gun_Leather on EBay was great and shipping was fast. I got one for my Glock 30 and use it everyday.
I really should pick up another one.
Funny you should mention a g30, that is what I carried for years...I will have to get one of these holsters for it too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts