1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a fairly new forum member, I mentioned it in the Kimber section but here it is for those that dont check it:

Well I finally made it to the range...and truth be told I'm not pleased at all with this gun....I'm madly in love with it!!!!!

I put about 130 rounds through it today and only one hiccup(which I blame on an el cheapo mag I was using). I tested it out with two 7round and one 8 round Wilson combat mags which all fed flawlessly. I also used the kimber mag a bit and it fed just fine as well but the wilsons are much easier to load, I just wish they were flush like the kimber mag. I also used a 10round mag that came with my high standard which functioned great. And a couple cheapo 7 rounds from cabelas which is when one bullet failed to chamber properly.

Going from bare minimum iron sights to the night sights of the kimber was a challenge at first and I was having trouble even hitting the shootn see target. But by the end of the range session I was getting some pretty tight groups and slowly working my way more toward the center of the target. I personally shot about 100 of the rounds and my girlfriend's dad(who has the range membership) and my brother put the other 30ish through it. And I think my girls dad by far had the best results. Accuracy will not be a problem with this gun once I adjust to the sights....I've never used white dot/night sights before except on a POS keltec 9mm which the sights were a waste on.

Over all I'm ecstatic with this purchase. I noticed some rust on the barrel within a week of buying it, which apparently this is a problem with kimbers that no one is aware of outside of this forum, because aside from people whining about MIM parts i havent heard any other legit complaints(thats just from the research i've done, but i'm sure there are some somewhere), but from what i've been told in the Kimber area this can easily be fixed w/ a copper brush and some remoil.

I'm planning on applying for my carry permit while i'm home for the holidays, and after it all gets processed and whatnot, and this gun is through with its break-in period, i plan on using it as my primary carry gun. hoping to purchase an LCR as a back-up soon too

here it is w/ my high standard:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Sweet! I have the same Kimber and just got the round count up to 450, no problems as of today at the range, and just love how it hits what I point it at.
This is my second 1911 and I'm a convert now, I want more of them. I sold 2 Sigs to get this and I'm not sorry.
Just wish ammo was not so expensive.
Enjoy

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah 45s are beyond ridiculous...I especially love it when I ask for a box and at a shop and they bring me a 20 pack of hornadays that cost more than a 50 round box...which I know it's great ammo but I'm not paying that just while breaking in the gun.

I took it back to the range today and put 100 rounds of 230gr fmj Winchester white box and 50 rounds of cci through it without a single hiccup. And I worked on the barrel a bit and got most of the rust off but I'm going to hit it again next time I clean it and just kinda work it out a bit at a time.

This gun is definitely as accurate as the shooter let's it be. When I did my part i was hitting the red no problem at 15 yards.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Believe it or not I've found some good deals on ammo on Gun Broker, just have to bid right and be patient and not over bid.

·
Banned
1,836 Posts
Looks just like mine, cept I have 800 rounds through it now. ;)

claire

·
Registered
879 Posts
Rust on Barrel

Get a Scotchbrite pad and hold it in your hand while you make a fist around the bbl. Spin the bbl with your other hand - the Scotchbrite will remove the rust but not otherwise mar the surface. Actually polishes it a little. I've had a little rust at the end of the barrel where it gets exposed as the slide cycles and at the ejection port where the barrel is always exposed.

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Yep,I like this model Kimber...I don't have one;but,I think I would like it.

Tomanyguns's Kimber looks like the grip is longer(?) Maybe just my old eyes.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i absolutely love mine, i was worried at first because it wasnt cheap, and i would've been pissed if i'd dropped that kind of money and then got a real POS, but fortunately kimber has lived up to its reputation(one of them at least)

·
Registered
7,488 Posts

Tomanyguns's Kimber looks like the grip is longer(?) Maybe just my old eyes.

Yep, kinda looks like the Pro CDP to me, could be the camera angle though.
L.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes, it is the CDP proII so it maybe the camera angle, holds 7 or 8 rounds depending on the mag.

My daughter at 300 rounds knocked this off the table into the California desert sand, (It did make her feel bad, but I got a free cleaning out of it :) ). Never had a problem cycling I just blew it out with a can of air I carry for this reason and away we shot!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse has some good deals on ammo right now. Cheaper Than Dirt too.

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse has some good deals on ammo right now. Cheaper Than Dirt too.
I had ammo on order from Sportsman's Warehouse since April. Finally canceled the order last week, what a joke. I bought 20 boxes of CCI MiniMag .22 ammo from them. They just threw the boxes loose into a cardboard box with zero packing material of any kind. When it arrived I had 2000 rounds of loose ammo and a pound of broken plastic bits. Their response to my complaint was "Sorry, the ammo is guaranteed, not the boxes." I also heard this. "We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee!" "Sorry, no returns on ammo." I won't send another nickel their way.
L.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nice...i originally was looking for the ultra, but then became aware of the compact model, and most seem to agree that the grip is the hardest part to conceal, so i decided the extra inch would be nice with the slightly smaller grip, plus the only ultra cdp i found locally was OVER msrp, and i found mine for about 150-200 below msrp, not a great deal, but around here, unless you're related to someone in the shop, you aren't getting out with a steal

·
Registered
23 Posts
I had ammo on order from Sportsman's Warehouse since April. Finally canceled the order last week, what a joke. I bought 20 boxes of CCI MiniMag .22 ammo from them. They just threw the boxes loose into a cardboard box with zero packing material of any kind. When it arrived I had 2000 rounds of loose ammo and a pound of broken plastic bits. Their response to my complaint was "Sorry, the ammo is guaranteed, not the boxes." I also heard this. "We have a 100% satisfaction guarantee!" "Sorry, no returns on ammo." I won't send another nickel their way.
L.
That stinks. Sorry to hear about that. I've had really good luck with all that I mentioned. Cabelas is top dog in my book. I've been shopping with them for 20 years, in store and now online. I doubt they are the cheapest, but you can buy in bulk via online and it will get there in great shape.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the Kimber Pro CDP II

I added the Crimson Trace Laser Grip. and I, like you, LOVE this gun.

I also bought 3 of the Wilson combat Mags .

I've probably shot 500 to 600 rounds through mine and she's sweet.

:rock:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts