1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, for my first "real" 1911 (I have a Colt Double Eagle), I found a Custom Target II at a local shop I liked and got it.

I naturally point a 1911 with a flat MSH low, so I had planned ahead and ordered an Ed Brown arched MSH before-hand so I could install it as soon as I got home.

Well apparently, the MSH's hole for the pin is about 1/16-1/8" off-center from the one on frame. Is this a fluke? Are there normally fitment issues with Ed Brown? Would an S&A fit better?

I know I could take it to a Smithy - and I know a really damn good one - but I'd like to resolve this on my own - if possible.

Thanks,
Chris

PS - Range report to follow :)

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
That's a HUGE difference! I've changed out the plastic MSH on every one of my Kimbers with Ed Brown parts, and never had a problem. Do you have a buddy with a 1911 who you could try the fit of his? That would decide which hole is wrong.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
unfortunately not.

I wouldn't dream of touching my dad's cherry vintage 1911's. The closest thing I have to compare is the Double Eagle.

The holes lined up perfectly between the frame and flat MSH. The hole on the Ed Brown MSH was tight to begin with. Maybe they didn't have the right bit on when they drilled it?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Where did you get the MSH? If it's a quality place (ie...brownells) I bet they will exchange the MSH for a new one. That way you can tell if it's the MSH or the frame.

1/16" - 1/8" is crazy off, if that's the case it probably is a fluke, hopefully in the MSH and not the gun.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the one from the factory fit so well, I would guess it's the MSH. I got it from Midway, so I guess I'll drop them a line today when I get back from the range.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Squid:

Silly question - does the new MSH otherwise fit?

Do you have the hammer strut in the center of the cup and not on an edge?

Is the fool gun COCKED?

The worst I've run into here (admittedly only a few MSH swaps) is where the hole is a bazillionth of an inch off. Popping a drill bit that otherwise fits the MSH hole through the frame & (depopulated) MSH will fix that without mucking anything up. (YMMV :)) Takes a hair off the frame....

If the base of the MSH is flush with the base of the frame, and everything else is "in place", you got a bad one....

Regards,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, yes, no.

I can get it flush with the frame, but the hole for the pin in the MSH is A)either too far forward, or B) too small.

On a lighter note, that gun is accurate as hell! I loved shooting that thing today

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
improper assembly?

I have heard these stories before. Get a 1911 Pistolsmith or Armorer to install your mainspring housing. Cause I never have any problems with that. NATIONALMATCH

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
If the MSH fits flush, but the holes don't match up, it's the MSH fault. DON'T start drilling on your frame! Send it back with an explanation.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, if anything i was gonna drill the MSH, but since I have to take my dad's Double Eagle in for a weird slam-fire (check the colt section), I'll just take it to my smith next week.

Thanks for the input,

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
For what it's worth, I had an Ed Brown arched msh put on my Kimber Stainless II. It went in fine but part of it had to be filed away to prevent prematurely engaging the grip safety. Not a big deal really. I'm happy with the result.

I just had another Ed Brown arched msh put on my Colt XSE. Not a problem with that one at all, went right on without a hitch.

I like the Ed Brown product, you just may have received a bad part.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
zenner22:

The grip safety has a couple of little projections on it's bottom that ride BEHIND the MSH when things are assembled.

It's not unusual to have to adjust that - adjust the MSH! - to get things to behave. Sometimes it's just a silly little millimeter....

Or, if you've got the skills, you may want to look at the way the grip safety is set up and adjust that instead, if necessary.

Same old stacked tolerances thing.

I expect this, as well as the new MSH being a little tight. Sometimes you can't get the holes to line up perfectly too - a quick pass with a matching drill size usually does the trick. And, no, you shouldn't drll the frame.

I don't think there's any part in a 1911 that doesn't require a little "tuning" when swapped, except for the grips, and you can lose a fight with a bushing doing that :)....

Hm.... If the new MSH won't quite ride up into the frame far enough to match the holes ("won't quite" - as in "most of the hole is there") having a look at the bottom of the grip safety might also be of value.

IAC, eventually you learn a good deal of this. Or you pay somebody to do it. My gunsmith likes to goof off to go hunting and is old enough that sometimes he just doesn't want to do something.... I had to learn a lot :).

Regards,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dropped off the Colt I was having issues with at my gunsmith. I took the Kimber and the MSH with me - he installed it while I was telling him about the problems with the Colt.

Turns out the hole on the MSH was undersized.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts