1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I just ordered a Kimber Pro Carry and was going to order 1000 rounds of Fiocchi 230 gr FMJ and 500rds of Federal EFMJ. Any problems with that do you think? Does anyone here shoot the fiocchi stuff? I have used their shotgun shells for a while and always thought they were high quality... what about their handgun bullets?

Also... This is my first 1911 and my first handgun considering I just turned 21. I wanted to order some wilson combat mags and was not sure as to what model to get. Should I get a 7rd or 8rd? Basically I would appreciate it if you guys took a look here: http://www.wilsoncombat.com/accessories/magazines.asp and told me which one of those I should get. I will likely carry something that fits in there (not extended) but wouldn't mind having extra rounds even if they extended a bit as backups... What do you guys think? Is 8 rounds (not extended) stuffing too many in there?

Thank you!

Matt

Also, do you know of any cheaper places than the wilson combat website to get their mags?

[This message has been edited by BeasTboyz (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
138 Posts
As a fellow ProCarry owner, I'll share.

Good choice, nice light, accurate and reliable weapon.

"Break-in" for mine took about 200 rounds, but oddly, I had no malfunctions. The slide/frame fit is VERY tight. I'd recommend cleaning it every 50 rounds for the first few hundred, as it'll still be smoothing itself out. (It'll be so tight that powder fouling will slow the slide down enough to induce a malf if you let it get too dirty.) Some say to keep it a little over-oiled during breakin to speed things along... I don't see it making too much difference.

Mine digests any factory ammo I feed it and all of my reloads. I've found I like to use American Eagle FMJ for practice, as it hits POA exactly the same as the 230 Hydrashocks I use as carry ammo. A little more expensive than Fiocchi, but cleaner imho.

As for the magazines, I use the 8 rounders, but bought a 7 and an 8 to start, just to check the 8's function. After it proved itself, I ordered 3 more and kept the 7 as a range mag along with the stock 7 rounder Kimber gives you.

One final word of caution. Thoroughly clean and oil it before you use it!!! All the Kimbers I've owned/seen were bone dry on arrival. So dry that even my stainless models would start to brown up. Give it a nice bath in BreakFree, and let it soak in for a while, then wipe her down.. The blued models really seem to benefit from this.

Enjoy shooting it, you're gonna love it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That reply was exactly what i was looking for, you even hit the nail on the head with the american eagles hitting same POA as the hydroshocks! If that is the case then I will change my order to American Eagles and hydroshocks. Thanks a lot I'm sure I'll enjoy the gun.

Matt

·
Registered
77 Posts
He has given you good advice. I had a couple FTF after about 150 rounds the 1st time out with the gun. Ever since, not a problem, last Sunday 250 rnds not a problem. I would guess I've run 3,000 through the gun, changed the recoil spring once, it is due now. I've always used Wilsons grease and oil, Wilson mags, and a Bullet Proof slide stop. Not a failure since the 1st time out. No real signs of wear whatsoever.

I'm a happy customer. To darn happy, I've always wanted to add a Ruger GP100 to the collection, but now I'm leaning towards a new Pro-Eclipse.

[This message has been edited by Rob Orlando (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
873 Posts
Rob, good luck. My Pro Eclipse II is on order <still> from Kimber. It'll be a few weeks they say. I guess they're really backed up.

I'm upgrading from the Pro-Carry to the PE2 - just because I want the best possible accuracy and reliability. At first, I wanted to customize the firearm myself, but the PE2 has everything you'd want - and if not - I'll try something else.

Matt, good pick up. You'll be happy with it. A few suggestions:

1. Repalce the plastic mainspring housing with a metal one (or just by a mag well - if you like the look/use of it.)

2. Buy some really good cleaning solvent. The cheaper ammo will leave hardcore lead in the barrel, and it's a pain to clean out. Clean immediately after use - don't wait even a few hours.

3. Consider finishing your PC in Roguard or NP3. The stock finish on the PC is very easy to scratch. And it *will* start fading in places after the first couple of shooting sessions.

4. Most importantly - BUY night sights! (Especially if you plan to carry!)

[This message has been edited by nickcarr (edited 10-17-2001).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you guys, I just ordered 1000 rds of American eagle from ammoman and 4 wilson combat 8rd magazines off of an auction at gunbroker.com for $23.99 a piece I asked him to price me a Wilson combat mainspring housing #92 series for me as well before I complete the order. Will this one work or is there a better one? Also, I ordered the stainless version of the pro carry, so I shouldn't need a new finish, it shouldn't scratch or fade easy right? I have some great lead and copper fouling cleaner that i will use after shooting this cheap stuff. I will buy night sights and was thinking about Bomar adjustables (I want adjustables so I can shoot any ammo to POA I want) They are supposed to be very heavy duty adjustable night sights.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I own and carry for CCW my Pro Carry. I had several extraction problems with my gun at first, but after a quick adjustment, the gun has run great with 230 gr FMJ and Hydrashocks. I do have routine problems with FTF when I shoot 185gr Gold Dots.

As to mags - buy the Wilson 47D's and never worry about a problem. I have had NO mag related problems with my Pro Carry and the 47D mags.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Nick, I checked out a local gun shop, Dicks Gunroom tonight.....3 Eclipse II's instock! Only one Pro version and I couldn't live with the trigger. Just didn't feel right?? There was something wrong, it look like it had been handled quite a bit. Maybe the slide has been slammed home a few too many times. They claimed it was just put in the case though??

The 2 custom versions had awesome triggers.
After handling them in person, I don't know what to do now

·
Registered
873 Posts
Rob, that's the *only* part I wasn't 100% sure about when I first saw the E2. I like the standard 3-hole trigger myself. Supposedly, the lighter trigger is better, but I'd have to shoot it to know for sure. Otherwise, I'll just put in a new trigger.

-Nick

·
Registered
332 Posts
the pro carry is a great gun. i polished the slide flats on my stainless, and it looks purdy. give it some time, and enjoy it. i don't even notice the plastic mainspring housing. if i want more steel, i pick up my 70 series commander.

------------------
Nothing like the smell of Breakfree to make my day complete.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just purchased the Pro Eclipse II, and it loves the Wilson 47d and 47dcb. All I plan on adding is a Ed Brown memory grip safety, mainspring housing (30lpi to match front strap), and slide stop. All will be stainless to compliment the aesthetics.

[This message has been edited by ~/|ristotle (edited 10-23-2001).]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts