1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok gang: Does anybody own or has tried the new Pro Eclipse 4" commander length pistol? My preference is 4" barrel length.

Still shopping, looking seriously at the above mentioned pistol or the Pro Carry HD.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

------------------
Bobbeh

·
Registered
332 Posts
other than the black oxide finish sometimes being a bit biffed (fresh from the factory), a lot of people love the eclipse full size. i too, am very fond of the commander-sized pistols, and prefer them to my full size. i'd say buy the pro carry hd. i love mine (alloy), and it's not as expensive as the eclipse. save soem dough for some ammo or rigs. hope this helps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bobbeh,

Like you, my preference leans towards the commander size pistol. A Kimber ProCDP is my constant companion.

Saw a Pro Eclipse II at a dreaded Gun Show end of June. Picked it up, liked it, was tagged $855 so I got it. The dealer had 3, count 'em 3. So I got my pick of the litter.

Closest thing I have to a range report is at:
http://www.geocities.com/gordyc11/kpe2.html

Kimber is/was having problems with the front nite sights. Mine went dark after the first 100 rounds. I called the dealer and asked if he knew anything about the problem. He said he had sent one or two pistols back already. Front site was dark on them right out of the box.

I got on Kimber and they promised to replace the front sight the same day and ship it back over-night.

When I got it back, I put 100 rounds through it. Wait, let me go check to make sure...oooh, ahhh, drool
Yep, new front sight still shining like a diamond in a goat's @ss!

The Pro Eclipse is a II series pistol. So when you fieldstrip it you need to keep your hand off the grip safety to pull the slide off. Nothing about series II stuff in the manual for those of us that actually read instructions.

The brushed matte finish is mostly for looks. If you plan on carrying it much, count on your basic holster wear.

The recoil spring will probably wear out early, but Kimber is working with Wolff for a new improved replacement for the Pro series pistols.

If you haven't checked Kimber's unofficial forum (accessible from their web site), you'll probably find some good info over there.

Like don't use cleaning products with ammonia.

What kind of price difference are you seeing between the Pro Eclipse and the Pro Carry HD?

That's all the feedback I can handle for now. I got to take my Pro Eclipse to the range.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TX ccl, I see that the Pro Eclipse two I like has an msrp of $1065. I know of a dealer here who has a Pro carry SLE which is being sold for $749(So far on this forum, that price is way too high). Trigger sure is sweet though.

Everything here in the land of coconuts costs so much more!
Thanks bolante and Tx for the replies.

------------------
Bobbeh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts