1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Went to my local gun club range today and put 200 rds. of Win. white box ball through my new Kimber Tactical. Schweet!:) I set up a target with 6 small (6") paper plates, and proceeded to blast away at various distances and rates of fire.
The sights were dead on. This is the first fixed sight gun I've bought recently, that actually had it's sights properly regulated. 6 o'clock hold=dead center. Even with rapid controlled fire, I put them all in one hole (really) at 21'. At 15 yards shooting slower, I did the same thing. All 25 yrd. groups from an "arms on bench" rest were under or at 2 inches. For me, this is OUTSTANDING accuracy! :eek: Not a single malfunction. Not even an occaisional slight push to the back of the slide was required, as it was on my Eclipse Target (sold) when I was breaking it in. Not a single bobble.
I was expecting a lot more recoil with the aluminum frame, and it was a little harder to control at first. But once I got the feel of it, I hardly even noticed it. The last 50 rounds, I had forgotten I was shooting a light-weight frame 1911! Fast doubles and strings of 3 & 6 were easy, and all on the little 6" plates. (okay, a few fliers) ;)
I'll end this too long post here just by saying: I LOVE THIS GUN!!!:rock: Kimber rewls!!!

Larry Camp

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey man,

I'm really glad you like your new Kimber so much. My Dad and I got our TC II's recently, but we haven't been able to try them out yet. Darn! :rolleyes: Just out of curiosity, what sights do you have on yours? I'm not going to come back with that good of a range report, but I hope I like it as much as you do yours. My last 1911 kinda bummed me out.

Have fun!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Thanks for the great report. I traded a couple of Glocks for a new Tactical Custom II on Saturday. So far I have ony shot about 50 rnds but it seems to be a good shooter. Next Saturday it will get a good workout at IDPA practice.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ST333,

My Kimber TCII came with Kimber fixed tritium night sights. Kimber is the distributor for Meprolite. I thought all of the TCII's came with fixed night sites? I've personally always really liked the Kimber/McCormick-style fixed sights. I can't understand why some people don't like them. They are very rugged, low profile, and have a more than adequate sight picture. I like the looks of them, too. Ah well, to each his own!
I went to the range again today and poured another 200 rounds of Win. ball downrange. Repeat performance. Not a hitch, and more accurate than I can shoot. I'm really having fun getting to know this gun, it's a little different from anything else I've shot. Lightweight and fast, easy to handle, yet still feels like a full- size 1911 is supposed to feel. I think it's a great idea, whose time has come. Who needs the extra 8 oz.'s? I really don't miss the old "familiar" heft. I do enjoy full velocity, and sight radius, however. This pistol delivers! My hats off to Kimber!:rock: (I'm starting to sound like a gun-mag writer:hrm: )
Big Jim and ST333, let us know how your TCII shooting experiences work out. Thanks.

Larry C.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Well, I took the TCII to practice on Saturday and everything went well. No problems of any kind. I had some nice comments about my new gun, I'm usually seen shooting a Glock. I went through about 100 rounds, mostly factory but some of my reloads too.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I can't wait to test my pro tac II. i'm glad yours went good cause im starting to sweat reading bad things from this forum.lol.well glad yours is what it says it is. i'll report soon as i test mine. out

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new trigger

Hello again,

I just put a new STI carbon fiber, titanium bow, short trigger in my new Kimber Tactical Custom II. I loved the Kimber stock trigger, but with my short, stubby fingers, the short trigger just works better. It allows me a better trigger reach while maintaining a high grip and still keeping the grip safety depressed. At 600 rds. now without a single malfuntion with factory Win. white box ball ammo. I guess I've passed the "break in" period with flying colors. I'm going to try a variety of self-defence hollowpoints, and see what it likes best. The 230 gr. Federal Hydra-shock has always been a favorite of mine. We'll see.
Big Jim, glad your TCII is running well. Did you shoot your IDPA match with it? How was controllability shooting "quickly"? I shoot my local IPSC club "fun" match on Tuesday, so I guess I'll find out myself. Good Luck.

Larry C.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'm thinking about getting a Tactical Custom, and I had a question...

Do all the new Tacticals come with an ambi thumb safety???

Out of all the pics I've seen, only about half have the ambi safety. The Kimber website says that the tacticals come with the ambi, yet even the pics on the site show no ambi safety.

I figure perhaps this is a new feature added to the tacticals.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
HKocher,

Mine came with an ambi thumb safety. And fixed Kimber/Meprolite night sights. I thought they all did? The ambi on mine is very well fitted. No slop, and very positive, on & off. I'm usually not a fan of ambi's but I like this one. I think I'll keep it!;)

Larry C.

·
Registered
302 Posts
i saw that too on the kimber web site. for my pro tac II it says it has a ambi-safe but u look at pic for pro tac II there is no ambi. i caught that about 2 weeks ago heres site http://www.kimberamerica.com/tactical.php

look at second pic and tell me whats wrong. talk later

·
Registered
24 Posts
From what I've seen the Kimber ambi-safety looks the same from that vantage point as their others. I could be wrong, though. I had to change mine out because of the Crimsontrace lasergrips I put on mine.

·
Banned
574 Posts
All the new production model Tactical series Kimbers come with ambi-safeties and external extractors. The special edition pre-production Pro Tacticals did not have the ambi safety. It also did not have the front strap checkering or night sights but had the internal extractor. You can all thank me for the addition of those items to the production models (except the extractor)!

Methos

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Methos,

You can all thank me for the addition of those items to the new production models.
Methos

Thank you, Methos. But why, and how, and pardon my ignorance, but who are you?:confused:

Larry C.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Congrats and me too!

I'm probably ringing in late here but they come with an ambi. The pics are deceiving because they show them otherwise - old pics I guess.

I want to say congratulations on your new Kimber. It is also a special congratulations because I had the same experience with my Tac II.

Full size, external extractor et al...mine was flawless and exceptionally accurate! Some where around here there is a brief range report on it - maybe in Kimber but maybe in the Range Report section.

I shoot better with this Kimber than I did with any of my previous 1911s - then again, I could actually just be becoming a better shooter - who knows?

The extractor worried me a little at first and i kept hearing things about the series two problems - scheesh! I'm so tired of people's reactions to something new when there is no actual history with which to judge with any statistical accuracy. So far it's been perfect - even more so than my first two Kimbers.

The extractor is an incredible little machine that tosses the brass virtually in the exact same spot with every heave. It looks like a brass production line.

Anyway - getting a little long in the tooth - I'm happy for you and your new Kimber.

safe shooting-
Robert Stanton
Galileo

·
Registered
302 Posts
well i got my first handgun about 3 days ago and it is a tac pro II. i put 400rds of winchester whitebox through it and had the same report as the first one up above. i love this gun. im 21, never fired anything beyond a M9. even though its a light gun it feals great. i think after firing a .45 i'll never shoot a 9mm again.lol!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Re: new trigger

rack&roll said:

Big Jim, glad your TCII is running well. Did you shoot your IDPA match with it? How was controllability shooting "quickly"? I shoot my local IPSC club "fun" match on Tuesday, so I guess I'll find out myself. Good Luck.

Larry C.
I used the TCII again today for IDPA practice. The match season is over, but we meet every Saturday morning to run through a scenario 5-7 times. The first week I took it kinda easy because I wasn't real familiar with the gun but I still ended up taking second of all the CDP people (about 10 shooters). This week went very well, with no problems with the gun. I was using my own reloads. I had pretty good times although the total scores are not posted yet. As far as quick double taps go, once I get used to the gun I'm sure I'll be as fast as I am with my Glock, it'll take me a few weeks, but I don't expect any problems due to recoil. Heck, I used to shoot a 10mm some days.
Also as far as speed goes, I'm a believer in accuracy first, so I like to get my hits first before I speed up.

Larry, I'm not sure where your at but it was 8 degrees this morning in Michigan, it was some cold shooting.

Jim

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Big Jim,

LOL! I live on Florida's Gulf Coast, it rarely gets below 50 degrees F. around here. Also we run our course indoors, so we have to move sideways.
There's really not much more to say about my new Kimber TCII. It goes bang everytime, it's extremely accurate, has all the bells & whistles anyone could want, it's really good looking, handles very quickly and easily due to it's light weight, and so on, and so on....
Now, all I need to do is concentrate on shooting it! Later.

Larry C.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts