1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a brand new TLE/RL last week. I put 320 rounds through the day I got it of mostly ball ammo and 20 rounds of Win. 230 SXT JHP. The gun worked perfectly with several different magazines and follower designs. Curiously enough the one stock mag the gun came with wasn't able to be loaded at all because the follower wouldn' t slide into the magazine. I like Kimbers a lot but have been very unimpressed with their stock magazines, yet again.

The trigger feels good although not quite as light and crisp as my Custom and Compact CDPs. Although I find that the triggers usually get better after a thousand rounds or so. I like to carry the CDPs but plan to do most of my practice with this TLE/RL and a TRS for holster work. That way I can save the aluminum frames while still being able to practice as much as I want to with a gun that directly translates to my carry pieces.

If you've been considering a TLE/RL I'd say, after shooting mine, go for it! Apparently this is a very popular model, according to Kimber, and is getting more difficult to find. The demand is currently outstripping supply so if you can find one in stock better snatch it up quickly. Otherwise the best bet is to order one through a Kimber Master Dealer because they are first in line for the new models coming from the factory.

clic pic

The gun's a shooter. At ten yards freehand the targets showed one ragged hole. I shot a target freehand at 25 yards with sixteen rounds and got this:

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a kimber magazine that had the same problem you describe the follower would only go into the mag body with great difficulty when loading rounds.

So to see what was wrong I took it apart.

The problem was that the magazine spring was in backwards, not upside down but rotated 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

I turned it around so the little closed loop on the top coil faced front instead of rear and the problem was solved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
thats a huge target for the size group your getting. those .45cal holes look like .22's. Ever thought of a smaller target? Save the trees man!! ;)

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Had another great day with the TLE/RL today. This time I shot the Winchester white box value packs. This ammo is quite a bit dirtier than the S&B I've been shooting but the gun worked just fine. It went 400 rounds without a problem. :) For a gun that's not meant to be a target gun it is pretty darn accurate.

Anybody else use S&B .45 ACP ? Where have you been buying yours?

·
Registered
550 Posts

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
try www.natchezss.com The last time I checked it was .50 cheaper a box after shipping than CTD. You need to order around 10 boxes to make it worth while to order.

I shoot S&B never have had a problem with it. Cheapest stuff out there in brass.

plunker

·
Registered
57 Posts
Try a box of Federal American Eagle ammo and watch your groups shrink.
It will cost slightly more than the Win white box or S&B, but you should shave some size off of your groups.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anotherlefty said:
It will cost slightly more than the Win white box or S&B, but you should shave some size off of your groups.
I was looking at that brand online. How does it compare in post shooting residue to other brands?

To date the stuff that I've bought in bulk are PMC which was reliable but about as dirty as the Win value packs then the S&B which is also very reliable and it leaves the gun a lot cleaner after a few hundred rounds.

Not that cleanliness is the biggest issue in the purchase decision but other things being equal I prefer the cleaner ammo.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Brass Balls said:
I was looking at that brand online. How does it compare in post shooting residue to other brands?
I've been using it in my CZ P-01 and it's been great. Much cleaner than the white box Winchester, and not much more expensive. $8.35/box of 50 FMJ 235gr if you buy a case from Natchez.

·
Registered
1 Posts
BB

I'm thinking about getting a TLE/RL and I read in another post that you purchased it from Sporting Arms . I've haven't bought a gun outside of CA yet so I'm curious about what the costs were besides the $799.00 price tag.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome to 1911 Forum!

Costs were as follows:

799.00 Purchase price
18.00 shipping
20.00 DROS (dealer record of sale) required for any gun purchase in CA
25.00 transfer fee for my FFL dealer

$862.00 Total - Note you don't have to pay sales tax

The trick is to find an FFL dealer who will do the transfer for a reasonable fee. Some charge as much as 15% of the LIST price of the gun and the cheapest I've ever seen, but didn't use, was $15. I gladly pay $25 to my dealer because I like doing business with them and they have an indoor range that I can use to shoot the gun during the 10 day waiting period.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dc ross said:
not much more expensive. $8.35/box of 50 FMJ
Good thing you bought it when you did because it is $11.55 per box of 50 now! http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=productList&ammoRecID=2&brand=FA&subgroup=568

I really need to stock back up on .45 and Outdoor Marksman has been out of stock for so long on S&B that I've got to look at other sources. Thanks for the info on the American Eagle. I thought that I would switch from the S&B to the Win bulk pack .45 from Wal-Mart but I have found that stuff to be too dang dirty.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have been pleased with FAE until my last range trip when I shot at 50 yards. I couldn't hold a group together with either my USP45F or my LB TRS from the bench. ALL over the paper. I thought "I KNOW I shoot better than this." I had shot better previously shooting from standing at 50yds!

I went back with the same guns two wees later, same 50yd range and kept them all in the black at 50y with my LB TRS. But I was using Black Hills 230gr JHP which is extremely consistent. And the weather was much worse, harder to shoot well.

Maybe I had a bad box of FAE the first time. I guess I need to go back and try again. I bought a whole case, so I hope it was an exception.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey thanks, dc! I was looking at the TMJ which I'm guessing is truncated metal jacket or flat nose.

I'm glad I got diverted from placing my order earlier today. You just saved me some bucks. I see you've only posted twice but you've helped me out both times. You rock dude!

Hope you decide to stick around and post more. :)

·
Banned
141 Posts
Brass Balls said:
Hey thanks, dc! I was looking at the TMJ which I'm guessing is truncated metal jacket or flat nose.

I'm glad I got diverted from placing my order earlier today. You just saved me some bucks. I see you've only posted twice but you've helped me out both times. You rock dude!

Hope you decide to stick around and post more. :)
TMJ (At least with Sellier&Bellot) means Total Metal Jacket - the bullet is whole covered with jacket, including the bottom, so there is no lead exposed anywhere. That should be the reason why they are more expensive.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update:

This gun is currently at 1370 rounds. This gun is a keeper the only problems it has had is with a 10 round magazine it will lock the slide back prematurely. Since this only happens with the 10 round mag I attribute the problem to the magazine and not the gun. Otherwise it has been perfect.

On Thursday I put 500 rounds through it over a couple of hours. The gun was cleaned and lubed before it was stored for 5 weeks. I took it out of the safe and to the range and without any additional lubrication it went 500 rounds. No lubrication was added during the 500 either. It didn't have any malfunctions! Pretty impressive reliablility and it continues to be very accurate as well.

After the recommendations I received here I've been using Federal American Eagle 230 grain ball from Natchez. I bought 5000 rounds and the delivered price was $921.65. That works out to $184.33 per case which is a price I'm very happy with. On top of that the ammo has been reliable and relatively clean for practice ammo, good stuff. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts