1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went shooting today with my 2 brand new Baer Mags and had a few FTF in my Concept VI. Never happened to me before. It looks to me like the round was not entering the ramp at the correct angle, kind of pointing up and binding as the slide closed. Or the pad in the mag was not pushing the round all the way to the top. (ejection was fine) My Wilson mags worked perfectly, but they are not new and are very smooth in there function up and down.
The Baer Mags are not as smooth, if you push the pad down you can feel friction and sticking. Do the have to be broken in? Or lubed?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
I put the Baer magazine in a drawer somewhere, and put one of my spare Wilson mags in my PII. My Baer mag was rough too, not worth trying to fix since I've got a pile of Wilson's.

·
Registered
377 Posts
My self I have good luck, I have five LB mags. They run well in my two P II's and my Concept VI. That's with reloads and factory rounds.May be you should LB see what they have say. Also is your weapon broken in? :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes… the weapon is broken in. It's flawless with the Wilson Mags. I'll try to work on the LB mags. But… if the **** hit the fan, it would be the Wilson Mags I'd have to reach for. The gun itself is a treat to fire.
Maybe I'll call LB and see what they think.

·
Registered
269 Posts
What is with Les and everything needing a break in. I just sold an SRP that after 2,000 rounds it never broke in and failed about 1 in 50 shots.

Do yourself a favor and buy Wilson, Tripp or CMC mags and call it a day.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i've never used any of my Baer mags, Wilson 47d's from day one.

mag break in? i just take a little 1500 grit paper and polish the leed lips a bit (followed by some Mothers alum wheel polish), check the fit (make sure there's ~.020" clearance between the front lip of the base and the bottom/front for the frame), then wipe the inside down with silicone. load the mags up and leave them loaded for a week or so. then in the rotation they go.

the only other issue i've had is tight followers in a batch of wilsons....... i had to polish the followers to get them to glide without excessive friction.

note: i've seen a cracked Baer mag (tube) at the range....... if you measure them, you'll see they're a little thinner that a wilson (granted, they are thicker than average)

·
Registered
353 Posts
Sell your LB mags on Ebay, and use the money to buy Wilson or Tripp. I would not invest any time into LB mags.

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
Take out the Baer spring and follower & toss'em. Replace with Wilson's spring and follower & they'll be fine.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I took delivery of my Concept VII several weeks ago, and have put 500 rounds through it with three stock Baer 8-round mags. No problems so far with either the gun or the magazines. I did nothing to "break-in" the mags, just loaded them up -- to full capacity each time -- and fired away.

I even tried shooting this Baer as an "8+1", by chambering a round, then dropping and topping off the magazine. While it did require an authoritative push to get the mag to seat, the pistol and mag combination still functioned perfectly.

Although they must be precisely machined, 1911 magazines are pretty simple devices; if one seems to need "breaking in", in my humble opinion it's probably defective.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts