1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past Friday, standing as tall as I could, and with as much dignity as I could muster, raised my right hand and became a LEO. It was a moment I will never forget.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Congratulations. With the recent events, I have no doubt that it was a proud and very emotional experience for you.

Be safe.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Stringer - your post took me back to the day, almost 21 years ago, when I was sworn in at my present agency. It's one of the defining moments of your life. Good Luck with the long road ahead of you. Stay Safe!
NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Administrator
18,611 Posts
Stringer...Congratulations!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Stringer,
Congratulations and welcome to the family. Strive to maintain physical and mental fitness. Make damn sure you go home at the end of every shift.

brothers, gunny

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shane45-1911 and NAA-
Thanks for your kind words. The events of the past week have only strengthened my resolve to do the best job that I can.
LW- Thank you.
Gunny - Thanks for the welcome...and going home at the end of every shift has taken on a whole new meaning for me.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to the blue line. You are probably feeling what civilians don't know--the feeling of pride and responsibility that comes when you swear to protect and serve.

Don't even lose that feeling. When the going gets tough--and it will--remember the moment when you received the badge of your office. This will strengthen you, as it has me.

And, be safe, stay safe. Go home to your wife and kids each and every night. Live a good long life, and have a long career!

And, if you're ever around the State of Washington, drop me an e-mail.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Amen Powderman!
Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Stringer-

Welcome to the fraternity!!

Amen to what the others posted. The only thing that I would add is this: if you're married, or if you get married, DON"T FORGET THE HOME LIFE!!! I'm old and been around a long time and have unfortunately seen way too many marriages go down the tubes because the job became "the life". (Almost happened to me).

Good luck, enjoy and GOD BLESS

------------------
"Sic Semper Tyrannus"

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Congratulations, the job has changed much in my 23 years. Be interesting to see where we go in the next 23. It's a frustrating profession, but don't ever give up on it. Even though pastures may look greener on the other side at times, I can't remember anyone who ever gave it up that didn't regret it.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Congratulations Officer!!!

My thoughts have been posted by others here. I dont have much to add, but this.

The badge you got was new and shiney, when you turn it in on retirement day it should be as untarnished then as it is now.

You will never have another job that comes close to this one, you will do and see things that the average person only reads about in the newspaper or hears about on TV.

Best wishes

------------------
No man is above the law and no man is below it. Nor do we ask any mans permission when we require him to obey it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the response! Since sending the original post, I've been going through FTO. If everything goes well I should be "flying solo" by next week. Now, if I can just start saving enough to buy a 1911...

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Congratulations! I myself will take my first BLET class this next semester at the local community college. Whoever thought I'd go back to school?

------------------
"Double-action in an auto pistol seems to me an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem." -Jeff Cooper G&A mag Oct. 1973

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the profession, alway remember your oath to protect and defend the Constitution and Bill of Rights. You have made an excellent career choice for a young man and I wish you well and it is going to take a very special woman to be a Police Officers wife. Choose your mate very carefully.

7th

------------------
Support Your Local Police

·
Registered
285 Posts
welcome aboard Brother . This is a whole new life for you and your family . Never again will you be the same . You have became an Officer , now stay a Gentleman throughout your career . Always remember a dead body is just evidence and you can do more to a child abuser with your Pen than by beating the tar outta him . These things have got me through O.K. and dont fall for every Chick that digs your Uniform , it will happen to Bud . I just think about it this way she could be infected with disease such as " internal affairs Division " or Aids . Luck be with you .

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
Welcome to the family.

Whenever you start to wonder why you ever got into this line of work, and you will occasionally, remember these things:

First, this really is a brotherhood, and with rare exceptions, you can rely on the support of your brothers and sisters.

Secondly, pay attention to the more experienced officers, even after you're off probation and out by yourself (especially after you're on your own!) Most of them learned their lessons the hard way; learning from their mistakes may keep you from having to learn from your own.

Next, get all the training you can, particularly when it comes to staying alive, even if you have to pay for it out of your own pocket.

Also, even when is seems that everyone outside the law enforcement community hates you just because you're a cop, remember that there really are people out there who appreciate what you're doing, and what you're doing is necessary for every citizen you serve, whether they appreciate it or not.

Last, but not least, get hold of a copy of the "Law Enforcement Code of Ethics." Study it, and live by it, and by the time you retire, you'll have every reason to be proud of your service, and the people who know you will be grateful for your service.

Good luck to you!

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
7th, JAFO, KS,

Thanks for your response and advice. I will take it to heart. The brass has put forth some good standards for training, and will be attending 3 classes over the next 2 months.

I went out on my own this past week, but the good thing is that I've not felt alone out there yet. We are a small agency, so the highest emphasis is placed on backing each other up. So far, the community has been generally supportive of our agency, with a few exceptions, of course. Thanks again!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Remember! There is no such thing as a routine stop. Complacency will kill you. Wear the vest, It works! Be fair but firm!

Be safe!

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
That's right. There is no routine stop. Each stop is different from previous one.

Welcome to the brotherhood.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts