1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a good deal on a Springfield Lightweight Loaded yesterday. This is the 5" model with the alloy frame, Springfield model number PX9104L.

This thing has "carry gun" written all over it. It weighs 28 ounces empty, 36 ounces fully loaded. The gun has all the trick stuff I would have added anyway: Novak night sights, ambi gas pedals, nice slimline Cocobolo grips, titanium firing pin, memory hump on the grip safety, and a high beavertail. The only thing I had the gunsmith change right away was the replacement of the full-length guide rod with a standard stubby guide rod and regular plug.

The barrel on this gun is fully ramped, which is a huge plus with alloy frames. The action is smooth, and the trigger is crisp and light, the best factory 1911 trigger I've seen on a box-stock 1911 in a while.

The gun is "used", but it looks like the previous owner has not fired this thing before trading it in. The barrel crown is immaculate, and there is no trace of powder or copper anywhere in the barrel.

Price was $599.

Took it out for function testing today, and it ate everything I ran through it, including the notorious 1911-choking 200 grain SWC "powder puff" loads that are barely hot enough to make Major. The stock 7-round Metalforms work well, and I think I'll stick with 7-rounders in the future. All the magazine troubles I've ever had with 1911s were related to 8-round magazines.

The new Springfield now rides in a DeSantis "Inner Piece" IWB. This is my first alloy-framed full-sized 1911, and I like it a lot. For carry duty, this gun will be hard to beat.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Welcome to the Lightweight Bi-Tone fan club. I am quite happy with mine- I swapped the grips for Hogues, but shooting it is quite a joy. If the MO court system ever gets the CCW thing figured out, I might even get to carry it.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
This is the 5" model with the alloy frame, Springfield model number PX9104L.
I can't find this weapon on Springfield's site.

Do you have a link?

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
Only the link to the picture...can't find that particular model description on their site.
Thanks.

I was looking at a lightweight commander, and then decided that I want a 5" slide.

I'm more concerned with weight than size, so I'm curious about your description of this weapon.

Where did you find out that it's made of an aluminum alloy?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I have last year's model in all black. It's a great pistol, and the alloy frame saves a significant amount of weight. It becomes more noticeable the longer you carry it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
There is a description of the pistol in SA's press releases (in mid-July of this year) on their website, but for some strange reason it is not in their product gallery. It has been out for some months, I can't figure out why it hasn't shown up.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hmm. I can't seem to find this model, either by appearance or number on the SA website. ? But it's a beauty. Is the GI recoil spring plug stock, or did you drop it in?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had the gunsmith replace the FLGR setup with a GI stubby rod and regular spring plug while I was waiting for the background check to clear.

Everybody puts FLGRs on their guns today, but I prefer the basic setup. I don't like having to use tools to field-strip my guns, and the two-piece FLGRs can (and do) unscrew themselves in the gun on occasion.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have one of these, too, which I bought new a few months ago. I really like it, but haven't shot it much yet (no time).

I will, however, be taking it back to the range over the Thansgiving holidays this week. With about 300 rounds (mostly 230 grain ball on 5.6 grains of Win 231 powder, and a few 230 grain Hornady JHP/XTP's with 6.0 grains of Unique), the gun has been flawless. It's accurate, too, but my SA Stainless Target is the real tackdriver.

The LW Bi-Tone is very suitable for carry, and I'd carry it, too, if it were not for something called an S-I-G.

Gluck Haben,

Doctor Lecter

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how do people feel the alloy frame affects things like recoil and steadiness on target? I was actually thinking of picking up a lightweight compact myself for carry, but also want the full size SS to compliment my park'd model...decisions...decisions...

·
Registered
647 Posts
scubie02 said:
Just out of curiosity, how do people feel the alloy frame affects things like recoil and steadiness on target? I was actually thinking of picking up a lightweight compact myself for carry, but also want the full size SS to compliment my park'd model...decisions...decisions...
Personally, I find it kicks a bit more than a "regular" weight gun. I don't think it is much more, but a bit. That is why I fitted the Hogue grips- they fit my hand better than the stock ones, making it more controllable. I don't think that the lighter weight would compromise accuracy by a significant margin- while the "X" might be harder to keep hitting at the range, in any real life situation, you will be at a short enough range that it shouldn't matter. It would be an acceptable tradeoff for not having to lug around as much weight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
about time!!!

Well, 2 months after making the original post I finally picked up my lightweight Bi-Tone (PX9104L). I am glad I waited seems as though all the prices went up and some new models are out so my local gun shop had a sale on their in stock SA's and I picked it up for $599 NIB.

I cleaned it up last night & it seems to be a real beauty! Will get to the range Sun a.m. and try it out. I purchased a Black Stainless Loaded about 3 mos. ago (1 reason I had to wait on the Bi-Tone, had a hell of a time convincing the wife that since it was a new year I should get a new pistol) the trigger pull on the LTWT seems better out of the box than the Black is now even after removing the ILS. Only the trip to the range will tell for sure. I am looking forward to carrying it after initial range outing, due to the weight factor alone. Full size & weight 45's can get a little heavy but I love em. I wish came with some slimmer grips like the Black Stainless did with it's black panel micarta's, but I can remedy that in no time.

Will let y'all know how the shooting turned out, as far as function and accuracy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts