1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a new loaded to the range for the first time. 100 rds of factory ball and 200 rds of 200gr/bullseye. Shoots a little low and about 3-4 inches left. What bothers me is, using 5 different mags, ( 2 wilson, 2 springfield and 1 mcormick) the next to last round would stick in and not eject, jamming the last round. Did it on every one, both ball and reloads. Could it be the ejector itself? I'll probably change the springs to 18.5. Anyone have any ideas? Mike

·
Registered
937 Posts
What was the exact failure? Empty round stuck in the chamber? That would be an extractor problem. Not springs or ejector. The factory springs on my SA loaded are adequate for both very hot and very mild reloads. I'd say leave that as is. Check extractor tension.

Brian

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The empty case was extracted, but not ejected. It stayed under the extractor, When the slide goes forward, the case, still under the extractor, it hits the chamber, preventing the next round from chambering. Mike

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
8 round followers vs. 7 round followers

This is a common problem with 8 round followers. If the magazine is an 8 shot Wilson, merely replacing the follower with a 7 shot (round profile follower) will alleviate the problem. I know, you needed to pry the empty out with a pen or awl? Just the same, the original design utilized 7 shot magazine. Change your followers. I am sure that Wilson will do so. Your problems should vanish. :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NationalMatch: You're right on. Switched over to all 7rd, flat followers and problem disappeared. No failures at all out of 200rds. Just need to work on sights and it's good to go. TRhanks again. Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts