1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Springfield "Loaded" Stainless with 5" barrel model PX9151. This thing has a one piece stainless steel barrel that is almost identical to the Trophy Match Model. This barrel has a super nice throating job and is highly polished. I cant believe Springfield is putting one piece units in these production line models. This one I have is fitted as tight as a Baer or Wilson. No play what so ever in the slide to frame fit. Silky smooth. Unbelievable! I know it does not indicate National Match but this ones frame is stamped NM in the serial number, and no made in Brazil markings. It also has a full length guide rod that takes apart with a allen wrench instead of a screw driver. This is the same one they put on the Trophy Match Pistol. This pistol also has a checkered steel mainspring housing, and a adjustable speed trigger. WOW!! Way to go Springfield. I cant see much of a difference between this and a super expensive custom gun.

[This message has been edited by gunsdirect (edited 01-20-2001).]

·
Registered
86 Posts
I also just picked up a PX9151 stainless. It has the NM sn#, no brazil markings, one piece barrel, and allen head guide rod. The gun is extremely tight!! VERY nice trigger! The mainspring housing is checkered steel and hard chromed. Haven't got to shoot it yet, but I can't wait.

Ghillie

------------------

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just got one too in the blued PX9608 model. It has everything you mentioned plus an adjustable trigger. The cocobolo grips go very well with the blued steel.
Way to go Springfield !

·
Registered
63 Posts
You guys are making my day/month! I just got back into the 1911 business after having traded in my last Colt [a POS Enhanced Combat Commander that was NEVER 100%, even after way too much work]. What I did was trade a H&K USP Compact .45 for the new Springfield stainless you guys are talking about. I guess I just got lucky for once, cause this pistol IS the new/improved version being described. Since I am very possibly going to take this baby out to my dept's next firearms qualification to get it certified as my duty pistol, I wanted it to be just right. So...even with this new version, I'm in the process of having the sharp edges softened, a basic extractor tune and feed ramp/breech face polish etc, as well as a Novak tritium dovetail front sight to use with that black Novak rear. I also replaced the two-piece rod with a heavier Wilson tungsten one piece [I won't use the two-piece on a duty gun], and had the action set up for LE duty use [4.5-5lb crisp], also substituting a King extra-long trigger with the screw removed. I should have the gun back next week and am looking forward to breaking it in. If all goes well, I'll be toting it in a Fine-Tac Safariland 6280SLS, a model which I've used with many previous duty Glocks, HKs and Colts. Thanx to all for tipping me off to the fact that I lucked into this new/improved version!!!!!!
Stay Safe.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
How much are these "new" new pistols runnin'?

px9151

px9608

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
You know this is dumb of me, but what exactly are you describing as a one-piece barrel? Is this a ramped barrel or no?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by gyp_c:
How much are these "new" new pistols runnin'?
px9151
px9608
px9151--$600
px9608--$540

I live in an area where the prices are usually lower than average.

[This message has been edited by high_caliber (edited 01-16-2001).]

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Damn, I guess you DO!

Thanks for the reply, how 'bout the "one piece barrel thingee" what is that?

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
804 Posts
You know this is dumb of me, but what exactly are you describing as a one-piece barrel? Is this a ramped barrel or no?

Most Springfield Inc./Springfield Armory pistols have barrels which started as two seperate pieces that were brazed together. This is evidently an economical way to construct barrels; manufacturers like Fabrique Nationale (FN) have been doing it for decades. One piece includes the chamber, rifling, and upper lugs. The other piece includes the lower lugs and visible hood area. On the Springfield, look closely for a copper-colored line running around the circumference of the barrel roughly a 1/4 inch behind the rear upper lug. You can also see the joint as a ring on the rear surfaces of the barrel such as the ramp.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OOhhh wow! I'm defnitely gonna have to find one of these! I have an older SS. Full-Size, but I have the two piece. I'm wondering if these NM ones feel that much better than mine...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I guess if you can remember all those numbers, it's cool to use 'em for ID on things...but, could you give an old guy a break and just name the models ya'll are talkin' about?
I'd really appreciate it...especially since SA took down the "good" site and put this unfinished thingee' up...I wonder why they didn't leave up one "good" one before practicin' on this new one?

I've already heard mountains of scuttlebutt, re: dropped models and stuff...Got a letter from them yesterday sayin' they aren't droppin' ANYTHING, they're ADDING...
The Hi-Caps and the Mil-spec will still be produced and God only knows how many new ones...
I even saw some slides for sale at Brownells, I didn't know SA did that...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I guess if you can remember all those numbers, it's cool to use 'em for ID on things...but, could you give an old guy a break and just name the models ya'll are talkin' about?
I'd really appreciate it...
Sure:
px9151--$600--Full size stainless
px9608--$540--Full Size blued

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Thanks!
Those would be pretty good prices around here...My Champion was 575 in blue, just to give an idea...That was before Christmas...Haven't priced everything since, but I heard they've gone up 10-15%...

Thanks again,

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts