1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thank all the people that helped answer all my previous questions. You all have been of great help.

I have a different matter, what do you guys think of the new look of the STI Tactical 5.0 (with the full rail)? Dis they change anything other than the rail? Inner parts maybe? Recoil? Weight?

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I prefer the stir-up cut.

Isn't the 5" available without the full rail?
I prefer it too but I would like to know if their is a change in the new one other than that full lenght rail.

I dont have the answer to your question, but I would love to find out.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
I have and prefer the stir cut. I have an Edge also and the new 5.0 just looks like and Edge with a different rear sight

t image.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Not much....
If you look closely you'll see a slight dimension difference in the width of the frame of my older T 5.0 ahead of the magwell out to the front cut.
And of course the frame is shorter for the stirrup cut of the slide not unlike the 5.4 Infinity.
The new T 5.0 appears to be an Edge with light rail and a tactical rear sight without a whole lot more changes from an Edge.
I have a DP built Edge and don't care for the cosmetics of the long dust cover and "Unique" slide. That Edge is over 60,000 rounds and I have the parts to rebuild it into an Eagle albeit the frame will be a little wider at the front after I cut it back to Eagle length.
That's just me, I would be good with a plain Eagle bull barrel gun in all calibers except the 9mm that seems to shoot better with a bushing barrel ( I have an SV 9mm bull barrel "Eagle styled" gun ) that has a better recoil impulse.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
I too prefer the stirrup cup look of the older 2011 Tacticals. Why do you suppose it got changed?

Was it market research that told them more people prefer the FLDC look, or do you think it was to try and reduce production cost?

I imagine not having to make the stirrup cuts into the slide (I've also heard them referred to a Butler Cuts as in Taran Butler) results in less milling time, which translates into lower production costs... (???) So in a sense this way they can use the same slide (unique cut profile) for the 2011 Edge and Tactical, and I imagine it can also be used for the SS Tactical as well. I guess from a business perspective that makes sense.

But I always liked the look of the older 2011 Tactical 5.0's with the stirrup cut.

·
Registered
845 Posts
i actually prefer the full rail. more muzzle weight and strait clean lines. i think all the newer production is strait, the older ones were cut.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Likely a production cost issue. The old one had a unique cut...
When a rebuild comes for mine, it'll get an Eagle cut slide...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I too prefer the stirrup cup look of the older 2011 Tacticals. Why do you suppose it got changed?

Was it market research that told them more people prefer the FLDC look, or do you think it was to try and reduce production cost?

I imagine not having to make the stirrup cuts into the slide (I've also heard them referred to a Butler Cuts as in Taran Butler) results in less milling time, which translates into lower production costs... (???) So in a sense this way they can use the same slide (unique cut profile) for the 2011 Edge and Tactical, and I imagine it can also be used for the SS Tactical as well. I guess from a business perspective that makes sense.

But I always liked the look of the older 2011 Tactical 5.0's with the stirrup cut.
That makes alot of sense. The change could be to reduce production costs (which is the better reason), but I think and from the replies of gun owners, most people prefer the stir cut.

You see I am buying an STI and my dealer has shown me both the old desighn and the new one. Now he is awaiting my response on which one to send, and my only concern is if I get the old one I will find out that the new one is better so I would like to get a clear and certain idea about both. Then I could make up my mind on which one to get.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i actually prefer the full rail. more muzzle weight and strait clean lines. i think all the newer production is strait, the older ones were cut.
True its got more muzzle weight but the stir cut looks better, plus it has the 1911 look to it.

Thanks for your opinion :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Likely a production cost issue. The old one had a unique cut...
When a rebuild comes for mine, it'll get an Eagle cut slide...
Yeah I am sure its a cutting down costs issue.

So you wont mind changing the stir cut to a full lenght slide?

·
Registered
845 Posts
i really doubt its a cost savings measure, im pretty sure they are done on a 5 axis cnc so it would be less than a minute in additional run time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have had a couple Edges and like the look of the FLDC! I'm noticed less recoil with the FLDC over short dust covers.
Thanks for the info man. It should have less recoil since there is more weight/muzzle weight. I think im leaning on the FLDC, looks more "STI".

1 - 20 of 21 Posts