1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new RIA Tactical last week, my first 1911, I couldn't be happier.

I went out and bought a couple extra mags this weekend, a Kimber, and a cheaper Triple K; both of them, and the factory mag performed flawlessly at the range yesterday. I ran FMJ and some Hornady JHP's through it, not one malfunction. I did a lot of research on different 1911's before I decided on this one, again, I couldn't be happier with my decision to go with RIA. Also, the 460.00 dollar price tag was pretty good too I thought.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just bought one last night in Marengo, IL for the same price, $460 - Is yours a 45 or a 9? Glad to hear that it performed flawlessly!

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Congratulations to all y'all on your new pistols! Please don't forget to post pictures and range impressions/reports/questions here on the Rockpile, we'd love to see them.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Welcome to the Rockpile! RIAs are a LOT more pistol than their dollar amount suggests. Good on you guys!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the Rockpile! RIAs are a LOT more pistol than their dollar amount suggests. Good on you guys!
Thank you. As I said, I couldn't be happier with mine. I was looking at a Sig 1911, it had a price tag of 950.00, but I just couldn't do it with all the good things I've read about Rocks, plus the nearly 500.00 savings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Saturday I will finally be buying my RIA 1911-A1 I am going with the standard model since a local place has it for $399 right now and I plan to learn how to do anything I want on it. I personally like them, but I want to see what others experiences are, just intrigue.

Glad to see I won't be the only new guy around here.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Had to have the ffl sent again today after a week in limbo at Bud's. Hope to have it in another week or so. To be specific, I ordered the RIA FS 1911 Match .45 acp.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Budsgunshop will definitely cause you issues. I'm a Colt & SA guy, but just couldn't resist a RIA 1911A1 for $329 shipped yesterday. I haven't owned one in forever, but you can't knock RIA prices right now.

·
Registered
84 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
good looking Rock- be sure to thoroughly clean that before you go shoot it! You'll find grease and grit everywhere inside including in the extractor and firing pin tunnels,

-how do you like the XD?
I like the XD-40, it's very much like a Glock. Alot of recoil. It's kind of harsh compared to my 9mm 1911.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I like the XD-40, it's very much like a Glock. Alot of recoil. It's kind of harsh compared to my 9mm 1911.
Remember, almost all polymer pistols are significantly lighter than a steel Rock 1911 and all that weight absorbs recoil through it's higher inertia. I started with a Glock 22C .40 S&W as my "serious" gun before I became a Rock-convert. Even with compensation slots cut into the barrel and a Hogue grip-sleeve on the handle that thing was a dancin' fool at the end of my arm and very unpleasant for me to shoot. When I shot a .45 1911* Rock I expected the legendary recoil of a big-bore handgun but what was there was a smooth, firm "push" into my hand that was easy to control. It's almost the same with the Compact Tactical in .45; a bit more twitch but still not as snappy as that Glock.
(*I am not counting the one time I shot an old military-issue Colt in Vietnam since I had no idea what to expect and wasn't given any guidance. So one big BANG and I was left with blood gushing from a hammer-bite and no desire to press the trigger again. That's also why my Rocks all have nice big beavertails and commander hammers on them; no desire to relive that experience!)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts