1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my first Colt since the early 80's. Black matte M1991A1. Looks like a real beauty! Any thoughts, suggestions, or things that may need to be done to it? Or are they shooters out of the box?

Thanks,

Gary
Semper Fi

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
Yep, commence to trying your best to wear it out.;) Do you have a pic? Is that one that resembles a mil-spec? Standard thumb safety, spur hammer type? I'm not really up on my Colt models, sorry guys.:(

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!

Yes Brian, the matte with the rubber grips. Probably replace them with checkered since I'm going for the wartime look. Here's a pic, not a particularly good one.

Thanks again,

Gary

·
Registered
826 Posts
When I first bought my '91-A1 Commander model (1994) I immediately started looking into customizing it. Not smart.

After shooting about 1000 rounds over the course of a few months, I realized I didn't need much :) Only an ambi-safety, and basic trigger job- PLus Wilson's drop in bvr-tail grip safety.
Note- soon after installing the drop in grip safety, I realized it wasn't enough.

At the 8th year of ownership and after a few thousand rounds, I had D.R. Middlebrooks do some more work. Nothing fancy- lots of Wilson stuff added-
new sear, hammer, trigger, (hi-rise) b-tail grip safety, sites, etc.

Anyways- it took me forever to realize exactly what I wanted. I added and subtracted things from my wish list over that time period until I finally had an idea of what I wanted done.

You may not even want to do anything after shooting it a while. I know one thing- almost everyone changes the grips and trigger eventually. :)

HAve fun- I know I have!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dave!

Probably just what I'll do. Shoot it for a while and see. I do want to keep it looking as "military" as I can.

Am looking for a nice pair of double diamond wood grips for it though.

Gary
Semper Fi

·
Administrator
72,486 Posts
#1 most frequently-asked question on this forum:

"I have a new <insert brand here> 1911. What should I do to improve it?"

#1 most sensible answer:

"Don't do anything until you have shot it for awhile, and decided what it probably needs."

·
Registered
76 Posts
Congratulations!

Hi Gary,

I live up in your neck of the woods.

Was wondering where you got the gun and the rig (Nice gear)?

Thanks in advance,

CZ52'

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi CZ, picked up the Colt at Kittery last weekend. They have a website that lists used guns for sale in real time. www.ktpguns.com I called, had them hold it for me and drove up. Long drive but worth it.

Holster is a Boyt '42, web stuff is the same timeframe. I've piece-parted the setup over the years. Have an M1 cartridge setup also. Just switch the holster back and forth.

Where do you shoot? I belong to Pelham.

Gary
Semper Fi

·
Registered
76 Posts
RE:KTP

I've sent a few $$ in their direction over the years ;).

IIRC, I was tracking that one at their Used Gun site. Congratulations on beating me too it :D !

I shoot at a buddy's backyard range in the Lakes Region, as well as indoors at the Belmont Indoor Range when it gets really cold.

Best wishes,

CZ52'

·
Registered
826 Posts
Here's a few pics of what D.R. did with my 91A1 COmmander:
http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38480

The pics are not professional, and the .45 is shot quite a bit, so it doesn't have that "show" look,

Note the bevel job along the slide as part of his dehorning package. Came out great. There's a bit a camera flash glare in th pics but, overall you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Congratulations

You purchased a great gun for sure. I agree that you should shoot it for a while as is. You may not be inclined to do anything after that.

That being said, my buddy sent his mil-spec back to Colt and had a shorter trigger and a longer thumb-safety put on it. I thought it was a great pistol before. I think it's near perfect now. I think it improved the feel of the gun in your hand.

Enjoy it.

Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts