1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up some Ed Brown extended fit eight rounders and was having an issue. These mags won't lock in without a hard shove, and when they do, it is then extremely difficult to actuate the mag release with normal thumb pressure to release the mag. I don't want to do any damage here. What do I need to know?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I wondered if I trimmed some plastic away from the nose of the base plates if that might get me some extra room and make seating easier.
Do not go blindly into making modifications. Figure out where the issue is and address it. Spend as much time as it takes to diagnose the problem.

To determine if the top of the magazine tube is coming into contact with the slide:
  1. Remove the recoil spring, recoil spring plug, hammer, and disconnector
  2. Lock the slide open
  3. Completely disassemble the magazine
  4. Lock just the magazine tube in the frame
  5. Slowly push the slide forward to determine if the top of the mag is making contact with the underside of the slide

If is all is well with the first test, do this:
  1. Remove the slide
  2. Put the base plate back on the magazine
  3. Slowly insert the magazine until it locks in place. It should lock in easily

If all is well with the second test, do this:
  1. Remove the magazine catch
  2. Fully reassemble the magazine
  3. Insert and hold the magazine as high as it will go in the frame as you observe the relationship between the follower and the ejector. They should not touch. If they don't touch, put a cartridge in the magazine and reinsert the mag to see if there's any contact between the cartridge and the ejector. There shouldn't be
If all is not well with a test, you've identified the problem and can focus on fixing it.

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
Like Steve says, figure out what your issue is first.

What kind of 1911 is this? Les Baer's are notorious for odd front straps, and with the Baer's it is often the bumper pad, but that is not always the culprit.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Like Steve says, figure out what your issue is first.

What kind of 1911 is this? Les Baer's are notorious for odd front straps, and with the Baer's it is often the bumper pad, but that is not always the culprit.
This is a Dan Wesson. I think I am out of my lane here. I don't have enough experience with the platform to test this. Gonna have to get some help.

Thank you, gentlemen.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Most 8rd mags I've tried seat hard with slide in battery. That's why I prefer to keep 7 in the mag while in the pistol (1 in chamber) , and fully loaded 8s as spares. They seat just fine when the slide is back. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most 8rd mags I've tried seat hard with slide in battery. That's why I prefer to keep 7 in the mag while in the pistol (1 in chamber) , and fully loaded 8s as spares. They seat just fine when the slide is back. ;)
WC 47Ds and ETS mags work fine.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
WC 47Ds and ETS mags work fine.
Are your 47D old and well broken in? The 47D is really a 7 rounder and folks often have problems inserting a full 47D with the slide forward.

What are ETS mags?

I believe the Ed Brown/CheckMate extended tube mags are longer than the CheckMate flush fit mags, but are still shorter than Wilson ETM, Tripp CobraMags, and McCormick RPM's.

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
That's why I will not put more than 7 rounds in most flush fit magazines. However, mags that have been designed from the ground up to hold 8 rounds are good-to-go. A mag that has been so designed will have a slightly longer tube and will not fit flush with the frame (Why is it so hard to seat the magazine and how do I fix it?).
Yep , there's only so much space in that mag tube. Another round means less spring. Even though todays spring steels are far superior to that of 1911.

Back in my Navy days , we were told to load only 5rds in a 1911 mag because it'll weaken the spring if ya load more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are your 47D old and well broken in? The 47D is really a 7 rounder and folks often have problems inserting a full 47D with the slide forward.

What are ETS mags?

I believe the Ed Brown/CheckMate extended tube mags are longer than the CheckMate flush fit mags, but are still shorter than Wilson ETM, Tripp CobraMags, and McCormick RPM's.
No my 47Ds are new . ETS mags are Wilson Elite Tactical mags (47s with a different base plate)

·
Registered
12,920 Posts
No my 47Ds are new . ETS mags are Wilson Elite Tactical mags (47s with a different base plate)
Do you mean ETM? .45 ACP Elite Tactical Magazines

The ETM is not a 47D with a different base plate.

It is an entirely new mag designed from the ground up as an 8 round mag. It is longer than a 47D. The 47D has the same length tube as the 7 round 47. Wilson tweaked the spring and the follower of the 47D to allow 8 rounds in the same tube length as the 7 round 47.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Do you mean ETM? .45 ACP Elite Tactical Magazines

The ETM is not a 47D with a different base plate.

It is an entirely new mag designed from the ground up as an 8 round mag. It is longer than a 47D. The 47D is the same length tube as the 7 round 47. Wilson tweaked the spring and the follower of the 47D to allow 8 rounds in the same tube length as the 7 round 47.
Yes, I meant ETM mags, Sorry. Regardless, the ETM mags and the 47Ds lock into place without force and have a slight amount of vertical play. The Ed Brown mags do not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had this problem with Ed Brown mags too. I had to sand off some of the baseplate nosecap to fit better into the cutout on the front strap of my Springfield Loaded. It wasnt letting the mag go in far enough to latch smoothly. Had to do it to both of the new EB mags so i think their mold may be sized for a specific cutout.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had this problem with Ed Brown mags too. I had to sand off some of the baseplate nosecap to fit better into the cutout on the front strap of my Springfield Loaded. It wasnt letting the mag go in far enough to latch smoothly. Had to do it to both of the new EB mags so i think their mold may be sized for a specific cutout.
I was waiting for someone like yourself to reply. I suspected as much. Thanks so much for your input.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts