1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome. i am also in CA. Northern, east of Oakland

Hi. New member to the forum here.

Not new to shooting, been doing that for 60 years.

But, a strange thing happened this past couple months: got bit by the 1911 bug.

Now, don't get me wrong, have had a couple. My first was a loose old Colt Commander 70 series that had such poor accuracy that I just couldn't stand to be around it. Then, i bought a Target Master from the Springfield Custom shop made personally by Les Baer when he was there, and even competed with it. It is still so tight and accurate, that it is in a class by itself. But, somehow it got set aside and mostly neglected. Most of the reason for that is that it has a fixed target front sight, not replaceable with night sights, and no rail, so it could not be used for my main home defense handgun. I mostly try to shoot and compete with guns that I use practically.

Then this year, a fellow member on Calguns had a Springfield Loaded for sale for what seemed like a good price. It had some nice features (forward serrations, night sights, mag well, memory pad on grip safety etc) so, i bought it. While we were doing the PPT in Pleasant Hill, i noticed a lovely Sig Target, with sweet lines, very tight fit, and obvious charm. so in this environment, i grabbed it (at $250 over retail price, but I didn't know that at the time.) After all, i told myself, i could pass these on the children and even grandchildren (some day). That has always worked with the wife in the past, though, i know she would let me have whatever I wanted, especially since I already had the money saved up for such things.

First of all, off to the range to test for accuracy, after all, no gun gets a place around here if it isn't accurate. The Springfield was good, but the Sig exceptional.

Well, i like to do my own gunsmith work, especially with pre-lock Smith Revolvers, Glocks. And, i was not satisfied with the triggers on either gun (especially having been spoiled by the Les Baer trigger). so, after watching several U-Tube videos, apart came the Loaded. I polished about 50 different surfaces with stones and loaded strops, and the trigger turned out amazing!

The Sig was next, and i made the decision to convert it to series 70 from 80 with the proper spacer, and once again, it was amazing. Frankly, better than the old Custom.

All those are in 45, of course.

More research into the modern 1911s convinced me that I needed a Dan Wesson, and a 9mm, well, why not combine and get a DW in 9mm...... Oh, darn, have to keep my eye out for one, because it is not on the roster in CA. Darn again. Will have to keep trying on that one.

And, then another funny thing happened at the gun store yesterday, the owner motioned me over to a gun that had just come in and was not on the shelf. He asked if I liked really nice 1911s, and of course, there is only one answer to that, and he put a brand new Nighthawk GRP with rail and surefire in my hand, black, night sights, rail, nice tight target group, everything one could hope for in a home defense gun, ..........you guessed it, after the waiting period, it is coming home.

I am trying to decide now if I should shoot the Nighthawk first, or take it apart and inspect the parts first......any thoughts on that that you would like to share?

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your Nighthawk! Just clean the gunk off the gun and shoot the fire out of it. Please keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
Beautiful area ...

Welcome. i am also in CA. Northern, east of Oakland
Beautiful area ... at least outside the city. Loved visiting for a week each quarter; splitting time between Sunnyvale and a San Francisco office on Rincon Hill, under the SFO end of the Bay Bridge. That was '01 - '08.

Welcome to 1911forum!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome and congrats on your Nighthawk! Just clean the gunk off the gun and shoot the fire out of it. Please keep us updated.
Hi Gumbee, When you say "clean the gunk off the gun": did you mean just the outside? Or did you mean "everything", which means taking it all apart and cleaning every part and corner (for example, the internal frame grooves for the trigger bar etc.) This is one honey that I want to treat right.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Hi Gumbee, When you say "clean the gunk off the gun": did you mean just the outside? Or did you mean "everything", which means taking it all apart and cleaning every part and corner (for example, the internal frame grooves for the trigger bar etc.) This is one honey that I want to treat right.
Just wipe it down on the outside and go for it!!! Forgot to mention that a couple of drops of CLP on the hood wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
Welcome to this 1911 forum site from Italy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts