1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHY ILLINOIS!!!??? WHY?!?!?!

Hey gang,

Just wanted to introduce myself. (Paul)

After years and years (literally) of debating, I finally plunkered down some cash for my first 1911. I decided on a DW Heritage chambered in 45ACP. Deciding on a DW was easy; I liked the clean slide, reputation, and the snickety-snick sound it made while racking the slide. I posted a picture of my current collection of a sig556, glock 30 and 34, but I've always wanted a full metal handgun. I came really close to getting CBOB or PM9, but this being my first 1911, I wanted to get a fullsize in the original 1911 caliber.

Oh, regarding the Illinois rant.... it stems from this ridiculous 72 hour waiting/cool-off period we have. Really???? I mean, I already own 3 guns. This dumb law hasn't cooled me off,.. it's pissed me off. Anyways, next.

I must admit that I'm nervous about 1911 ownership. I'm used to plastic guns that go bang every time and require virtually no maintenance or thought. I'm hoping my particular Heritage won't require too much tinkering or sending back to the Mfg. I suppose it's the price I'll pay for that satisfying "snickety-snick." Gosh, I cannot wait to bring it home, tear it down (which I still have to learn), lube and rack the slide a couple hundred times.

I'll post pics when I finally take delivery. In the meantime, .. grateful to join the forum! Any newbie hints would be appreciated.

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Welcome to the DW Forum, one Mod. is a Master PistolSmith (Dave),
and one member is a Custom Pistol Grip Maker (Sarge43).
We will give you info, and our opinions, and yes, we joke around sometimes.

Clyde

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Very nice. Just remember, good lube and lots of it. If you dont have to wipe your shooting glasses off after 50 rds you arent using enough. (while you're wiping them off, add some more lube :biglaugh:)

Welcome.. PM Namvet for COTEP membership:rock:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Congrats ! If DW doesn't come out with a 9BOB, the Heritage will be my next purchase.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Where you at in IL? I'm by St. Louis. And yes our laws suck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I seriously hope there isnt a 9BOB in the works... cuz I'm almost out of money.

I'm located on the opposite side of the state, cook county, north of chicago. *sigh... daley.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
I do not see the appeal of a 9BOB. You get a substantially weaker round with not enough increase in capacity. If they could squeeze a 15 round mag in there, sure, I'd go for it. Until then I say bigger is better.

·
Registered
4,837 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of 1911s.

If you are worried about bang every time, there are things you can do to increase the bang every time factor.

When I get a new pistol I follow these procedures before firing it:

1. Field strip the pistol and check for any burrs or minor flaws that can impede function. Check the rails, bushing, slidestop barrel, dustcover etc. For newbies there are the stickies on the forums home page with real good instuctions on field stripping and detail stripping a 1911. Print them out.

Any burrs can be removed with 1200 grit sandpaper.

2. I then detail strip it and look at all the internals. If you don't feel brave enough to detail strip yet that's okay. Some folks have been shooting 1911s for decades and never have detailed one. I remove any burrs on the grip safety, safety and hammer strut. I also check the mainspring hole for smoothness (use qtip as a burr will pull the cotton. Wrap sandpaper around dowel and polish the hole if needed.

3. Reassemble the frame, Oiled liberally with the lube of choice. Oil the disconnector and rails. Check the disco rail in the center of the slide and polish if needed. Lube the slide rails and put slide back on frame. Hand cycle 200 time briskly.

4. Now reassemble complete pistol and hand cycle another 200 times.
Dry fire 400 times.

5. Go shoot it as often as possible for the rest of you life.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Hay pspablo, welcome aboard! I am sure you will enjoy your new 1911. Don't draw a conclusion from what you have heard about 1911s not being reliable until you have shoot about 500 rounds threw it yourself, then you can decide if it is reliable on your own. That is what I did with my CCO#17 and it has been flawless from round 1 all the way to round 650 this past weekend.

In other words don't believe all the hoopla you hear and read, wait until you can draw your own conclusions about how perfect your new Heritage is.

I'm sorry 2TA but I would love to have a 9MM CBOB especially if it had a light weight alloy frame.:rock:

·
Registered
153 Posts
You only have to wait 3 days???

Try the People's Republic of kalifornia - 10 days!!!

Congrats on the new Dan Wesson!

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
welcome to the forum, I hope that you enjoy your new DW, as has already been stated use good quality gun oil in liberal amounts and if so inclined hand cycle a few hundred times and get to the range.

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sorry about the wait time, but you'll forget all about that once you've got her home. As for taking her apart, it may seem daunting the first time, but once you do it and pay attention to each part, it actually makes sense. After that it's a piece of cake. Oh, if you're apprehensive, sometimes it helps people to take pics as they go so they can see "this part went in like this and is supposed to be right here". Just a thought until you get comfortable.
Again, welcome, and we all look forward to the pics!
Sarge

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of 1911s.

If you are worried about bang every time, there are things you can do to increase the bang every time factor.

When I get a new pistol I follow these procedures before firing it:

1. Field strip the pistol and check for any burrs or minor flaws that can impede function. Check the rails, bushing, slidestop barrel, dustcover etc. For newbies there are the stickies on the forums home page with real good instuctions on field stripping and detail stripping a 1911. Print them out.

Any burrs can be removed with 1200 grit sandpaper.

2. I then detail strip it and look at all the internals. If you don't feel brave enough to detail strip yet that's okay. Some folks have been shooting 1911s for decades and never have detailed one. I remove any burrs on the grip safety, safety and hammer strut. I also check the mainspring hole for smoothness (use qtip as a burr will pull the cotton. Wrap sandpaper around dowel and polish the hole if needed.

3. Reassemble the frame, Oiled liberally with the lube of choice. Oil the disconnector and rails. Check the disco rail in the center of the slide and polish if needed. Lube the slide rails and put slide back on frame. Hand cycle 200 time briskly.

4. Now reassemble complete pistol and hand cycle another 200 times.
Dry fire 400 times.

5. Go shoot it as often as possible for the rest of you life.
Hey gang!

Thanks for the warm invite. After reading through a few of the other threads, I can tell this is a great group of people. Off the bat I noticed it seemed much more civil than the Glocktalk forum (which is still a great forum IMHO).

I haven't had the chance to start the COTEP threads yet. I'm going to have to find time to sit down and read it thoroughly.

After watching some youtube videos last night pertaining to disassembly and overall function, my nerves have been somewhat put to ease.

Given that this is my first 1911 and all-metal pistol, I'm still apprehensive about actually shootin' the snot out of it because IT'S SO DAMN PRETTY TO LOOK AT!! How do you guys do it?! Are there any IDPA legal holsters ya'll could recommend that have a reputation of being kind to the gun's finish? I'll keep searching through the threads... but any time ya'll could save me would be great. I'll try to keep the "already discussed on several threads" questions to a minimum.

Thanks again!

p.s.

by the way.. "Dangerous", that was an awesome piece of advice regarding proper break-in. thank you!

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
Don't come to Mass. The DWs are not legal, or almost anything else for that matter.

Enjoy,
Bob

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Did some one say 9Bob. Start savein you money now. (fingers tightly crossed) Sorry 2TAs but when you see mine, you will be droolin all the way to the bank. :biglaugh:

·
Banned
2,416 Posts
Did some one say 9Bob. Start savein you money now. (fingers tightly crossed) Sorry 2TAs but when you see mine, you will be droolin all the way to the bank. :biglaugh:
You could always buy a PM-9, get a jig from Brownell's, and learn to be a gun smith. Just sayin'... :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts