1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
gentlemen, i am interested in a 1911 and am looking for some advice. i have narrowed my choices down to the kimber custom and the s.a. loaded. judging from posts on both forums, im leaning towards the kimber, but there are some things about it i want to change. first, does anyone make a drop in beavertail with the palm swell for the kimber? also, who makes the best mag well funnel that is also drop in? i also am interested in the novak drop in rear sight that brownells offers that can be used with the factory front sight. any input would be helpful. this will be my first 1911 and am looking forward to sharing my experiences with you. thanks....sarge

·
Registered
143 Posts
Maybe I'm misreading your message and if so, apologies.

The Kimber grip safety (if that's what you mean)already has the raised bump for positive actuation. At least it does on my Custom Classic. The rear sight is very much like a Novak in it's slanted shape. Can't help you with the mag well.

Don't overlook the Colt 1991A1. I have one and it is nearly as good a shooter as the Kimber. As a matter of fact, the matte-black finish is better than on the Kimber. The Colt doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it's been 100% reliable, as is the Kimber, and is very accurate.

Let us know what you get!

------------------
Steve333

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sarge,

If I'm reading your post correctly, I'm thinking maybe you mean a drop-in mainspring housing with the palm swell? If that's the case, I highly recommend Smith & Alexander. They make a beautiful arched stainless mainspring housing that fits my Kimber perfectly. Also, they make magwell/MS housing combinations that are drop-in and work great. See them at

Smith&Alexander

Regardless of whether you choose the Kimber or the SA, I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice!

Cheers,

/TCP

------------------
Measure Twice....Cut Once

·
Registered
72 Posts
With the 1911 design, very few (quality)parts could be considered truly "drop in". From personal experience, only magazines should be drop in tolerances
As for the grip safety, you should consider Ed Brown (series 70). Any good grip safety will require some fitting to properly blend to the frame. After this part is fitted, your hand will ride higher on the grip and add to your ability to control the recoil. If you are using this gun for competition only, Ed Brown or Smith & Alexander both make good quality mag well guides. If this is a defensive gun, I would recommend against this part. The well could inadvertently get bent and prevent a magazine from falling free or being seated properly. Regarding any sight replacement for Kimber, nothing is drop in, period. It must be specifically manufactured for the Kimber dovetail, but it will require gunsmith level tools to install (sight drifting vise). You have several options, though the extra price for tritium is well worth it. If you replace the rear, you may as well replace the front with a more durable dovetail version as well. Wilson, Novak, MMC, Ashley Outdoor, and others offer quality parts. Good luck and enjoy the world of 1911s.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts