1911Forum banner

New member saying hi

693 10
Hi folk's,

I am new here and just wanted to say hello and glad that I found this forum. Some of you might know me from AR15.com as that is where I am alway's hanging out. I just got my first ever 1911, it is a Springfield MIL-SPEC with a 5" barrel, it came with three eight round mag's and one seven round mag.

This was given to me by my Grandfather and he had it for a while but he could not use it anymore due to health problem's. I have never ever owned a 1911 style pistol, the only one's I have ever owned or used have been H&K, SIG, GLOCK and other type's of pistol's.

I took this out to the range a week ago and shot it for the first time and man all I can say is I am in love with this thing, now I understand why everyone love's the 1911 style pistol. I posted some pic's of 1911 please give me some ide'a as to what I can do to enhance it. I am already looking for my next 1911 and can't wait to get another one. :biglaugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Welcome to 1911dom. Nice pistola. Thank your grandfather again for that.

In my opinion, you either leave it as-is, or go for a custom/refurb, depending on what use you intend for the pistol. I lean to the latter, customization/refurbishment. First thing I would do is get some nice hardwood grips on there - full length magwell cut, with mainspring housing pin hole covered, just my personal choice. Next thing to consider is sights. There are good drop-in sights available, as long as you don't want tritium night sights. Your best options for tritium sights will require maching of the slide, plus refinishing. Hard to tell from the photos, but the finish looks to have some good scratches on it, so I'd be looking to get it dehorned (sharp edges removed) and refinished anyway. Next thing is the most important - trigger job, using high quality components. Your pistol looks as if it might have been worked on before (there is an extended slide stop in evidence), so this may have already been done. I'd ditch that extended slide stop, by the way. I hear they can be trouble, causing the slide to lock open prematurely. Most custom jobs include a beavertail grip safety, but I like those Commander type grip safeties, like the one on your pistol, so I'd probably keep that on, in this case. Wouldn't really want to change the pistol much - mostly just freshen it up. Think of it as recycling.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Seraph,

Thanks I add the extended slide stop due to the original one being just a little out of reach for me, I got a pair of wood grip's with it also I am planing on putting them on it and takeing the HOUGE grip's off, as to it haveing some scratche's and stuff it doe's have them I am planning on getting it refinished and the sharp edge's removed from it and getting the front of the grip checkered since it has a smooth surface.

I am planning on useing this as my CCW gun until I can buy me another one. I would like to get some night sight's put on it but I know the front site has to be staked in, I am just trying to figure out which night site I need to get that can be staked in.

I am looking at maybe getting a new slide for it that has the front serrations on it and the little cut for the front site, but I am not sure which one's will fit and work and which one's will not.:confused:. I am also looking for a good IWB holster for it.:D

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the forum and happy shooting brother!!

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guy's I am looking all over the site, I am seeking all the info I can get on the 1911 style pistol. I figure I need to so that I will become more informed about the pistol's. :biglaugh:

· Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Ghost, you mention using a different slide that already has sight cuts and front serrations, but putting another slide on the pistol may not be as simple as you imagine. I think you would be better off having the existing slide machined for sights. As for front serrations, I'd rather not have them myself. You mentioned the idea of using drop-in night sights, which would be a good way to save some money. Unfortunately, no one makes a stake-in tritium front sight for the Springfield front tenon size of .082". You might be able to use a sight made for a Colt, and narrow the tenon down to the .082" Springfield tenon size, though.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seraph,

I was thinking about the front night sight as well, I called and talked to Springfield about haveing some put on and I guess I will have to just send it back to them and have them do it since they told it they could and would do it.

As far as the front serration's I am really just thinking about it, I really don't think I will bother with them or changweing out the slide. I know I will end up sending it somewhere and have it refinished in maybe an H&K Black or in another color and have the sharp edge's taken off of it.

· Premium Member
3,543 Posts
You really should consider having all work done at one time, and at one place, because the shipping charges will add up on you, if you have to ship to multiple shops.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was thinking about that to and I decided that I will more than likely just send it in to Springfield and have them just do it all at one time, I know the shipping cost's would add up if I sent it all over the place to have stuff done to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.