1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm new and recently purchased my 1st 1911 a WW II SA Mil Spec 1911 A1. I'm very pleased with it so far. I've changed the grips and that's the only alteration. I've put about 300 rounds of PMC fmj thru it and about 100 rounds of Speer Lawman fmj. 20 rounds of 185 grain Taurus Copper HP's. And about 75 rounds of Remington Golden Saber 230 gr HP's. So far not a hitch. Everything cycles well and the gun functions great. I think I'll stick with the Golden Sabers for carry. Let me know what I may want to look for or do with this gun- I'm sure there are a few of you with some experience with the WWII Mil Spec.

Doug

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'd say do what I did to mine....Just shoot it, mine has been flawless from the start too
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
27 Posts
My WW11 was great out of the box the 1st 200 rounds. Had 4FTEs on a box of 50 bought in a country store. I'm sure it was the ammo though. It looked weird to start with, like someone did a bad reload job:rolleyes: The next 200 performed flawlessly. I'm shooting as good with this pistol as my carry gun. I kept mine stock but need a new grip since my right side grip has cracked. I'll upgrade to some nice wood grips I think.
Unfortunately, I've been bitten by the bug and have a wish list of other 1911s.

Good luck
Jim

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hello all. I hope it is acceptable to post web site links here (if not I'm sure I will hear about it soon enough!). Check out www.lippman-enterprises.com for Kimber style double diamond rubber grips and brown plastic GI models at a a great price. I have a pair of the rubber ones on mine. Fit perfectly! Tom

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have one myself and i love it,i to have changed my grips i put on the Houges rubber grips and love them:D

·
Registered
865 Posts
Does anyone else have bare metal underneath the front sight where it appears that they filed down the tang sight, inside the slide? Only question I have about mine, other than that, very nice.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for that link Tom S. Those grip prices are to cheap not to check out. My WW11 came blocky/black, not exactly mil-spec. But I like the black look, so it works for me. Plus I'd like to keep it as stock from the factory as possible.

Jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took my WWII Mil Spec to the range today and put another 100 rounds through it . It's starting to really smooth out. I found a pair of used Pacmyre grips in great shape and swaped grips. It has a much better feel . So far I've had one stove pipe from limp wristing the gun. I was shooting really loose and found out how loose I have to be to cause a missfeed. I have yet to have an unintentional missfeed. I rapid fired three mags and kept all 24 rounds on a 8" target at 21 feet. Not bad for me. But I was very happy with the way the gun functioned in rapidfire. Still very happy with my new Springfield.

·
Registered
55 Posts
dougmc,

LOL I was going to say to change the grips and that's about it, ya beat me to it!

I put Hogue double diamond rosewood grips on mine. Another thing that's cheap and easy is to change the barrel bushing for a drop-in Wilson match. Unfortunately, the drop-in is stainless, so it kind of ruins the "all-business" look, but it really tightened mine up (you'll need a bushing wrench, about $3, to turn it). But if yours shoots acceptable groups, then don't bother.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts