1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just registered and am fairly new to the world of handguns. I have a S&W 38 and a Glock 9mm,,,but I shot a buddies beautiful Colt 45 at the range and have been looking at 1911 since. I would appreciate suggestions on which one to buy. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

It would be helpful to know what you intend to use your future 1911 for.

For example, is it strictly a range gun, or home defense, competition and / or will you be using it for carry?

Also, what type of budget do you have?

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Buy the one you fell in love with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will probably at first just use the 1911 at the range... I would love to buy a nice Colt like my buddies...just haven't found one yet. Some suggest new in the box for around $800-900??

·
Banned
1,678 Posts
Check out gunbroker.com and gunsmaerica.com.

But beware, Colt's site has a alert when you first go onto it that list several models that were made after 2006 that have a recall issued on them.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Buy the one that feels best in your hand. You will know it's the one because it will call out your name when you hold it. Go to a gunstore hold all they have and you will see what I mean.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Central Texas.

:rock:

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Welcome to the 1911 Forum, buy the one that feels the best in your hands and made you ask this question............

Clyde

·
Registered
230 Posts
No

Colts are great guns - so are Springfield's .

I own both and shoot both.

Some people over react on these boards and pass along "I heard" information without ever touching the gun they are talking about.

You'd probably be happy with either one (I am).

Just go rent and fire them at a range that rents guns.

If there is no such range near you, go to the store and handle each gun.

Bring them from the counter top to aim point and see what feels good to you.

Good luck with your search - searching is part of the fun !

Just my .02

·
Registered
420 Posts
I always love a good hunt, I wanted a colt 70 series for over 3 years then one day as I was looking around my favorite gun shop there she sat, it had just been brought in for consingment so had to sit there for 30 days (Ca. law), well I slaped down a deposit that day and she is a great shooter. I'm glad I waited and got the one I liked, now how ever I have caught the 1911 flu and also own a Kimber CDP Pro II and am looking for my next one.
Be careful as they are adictive!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Beautiful gun - let us know how it shoots.:rock:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ist trip to the range

The Springfield was super...it worked flawlessly and even though I need some range time to get used to it...my buddie (with more experience) showed me how accurate the gun is. I'm happy with my first 1911 purchase!

·
Registered
230 Posts
You got me excited about my Springfield with your posts.

So I took it to the range this morning and shot it.

As usual it was right on (better than me :bawling:) :biglaugh:

:rock:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts