1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. i am new to this board, bu have been following it for a while. i purchased a new mil-spec a couple of weeks, but in trying to graduate from college, have not had a chance to break it in yet. i just had a couple of questions i hope someone can answer.
first, i chose the mil spec over the loaded, because i did not want all of the 'features' that came with it. i do however prefer the feel of the trigger on the loaded models. what brand does springfield use (videki?..).
second, i would like to change the hammer to a wide spur type, or maybe the old commander style. are these jobs i can do myself, or do i need to get a smith to install them (this is the first handgun i have owned). any advice about this is appreciated.

·
Registered
684 Posts
My recommendation...shoot the heck out of it first! Enjoy it as is. I've made modifications too quickly on guns and realized I liked it better with original parts -- I own mil spec guns BECAUSE of the features your looking at changing. I'm no gunsmith and wouldn't dream of messing too much with mine but once you shoot it, maybe some kinks will show up and you'll need to send out for a reliability job. Then just have the smith do any other mods at that time.

I hate to tell you this but you started with a great first gun. A perfect platform for customizing as you go along and grow as a shooter. BUT, this won't be your last -- especially if you like 1911's! Welcome to the club and hold on to your wallet

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I too purchased a Mil. Spec. because it was the basic military looking 45. I wanted something I could customize internally while keeping the outward appearance military. I really like mine and have shot 1050 rounds through it so far. I think the first thing Ill do will be a trigger/action/reliability job, at the Springfield custom shop.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Your absolutely right. These new Springfield milspecs need nothing to make them good shooters. I stated two weeks ago that my new milspec would outshoot my nite sighted parkerized loaded, and I still stand by that. Only alterations I've made have been a Wilson commander hammer and a Kings drop in beavertail. After 2-250 rounds that old standard beavertail still tends to wear on the web of my hand, so that is the reason for the beavertail. To use the beavertail, I needed to change the hammer (either bob or commander style). So my two changes have been for user comfort only, and nothing to due with the reliability/accuracy of the weapon. Mine doesn't need it! Hope this is the way they all are, cause I've got another laying in the box in my basement.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Originally posted by col132:
These new Springfield milspecs need nothing to make them good shooters...Hope this is the way they all are, cause I've got another laying in the box in my basement.
Col's got a regular order set up with SA!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Find a good, local, 1911 guy...After you've got some trigger time and get to know him, talk to him about the things that you want from the weapon and how to get it there...

Shoot the crap out of it (1000) at least and then you'll have a much better idea of what "you" want from the pistol...

Have fun...

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

MWLWN LABE!

·
Banned
100 Posts
Originally posted by bullitt_68:
hello all. i am new to this board, bu have been following it for a while. i purchased a new mil-spec a couple of weeks, but in trying to graduate from college, have not had a chance to break it in yet. i just had a couple of questions i hope someone can answer.
first, i chose the mil spec over the loaded, because i did not want all of the 'features' that came with it. i do however prefer the feel of the trigger on the loaded models. what brand does springfield use (videki?..).
second, i would like to change the hammer to a wide spur type, or maybe the old commander style. are these jobs i can do myself, or do i need to get a smith to install them (this is the first handgun i have owned). any advice about this is appreciated.
When your ready and want some new tricked parts IMHO get yourself a Brownell's catalogue. That's where I buy from and customers get their best selection of 1911a1 custom parts.
Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts