1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes I know... which is why I never bought an XSE.
My point was that if Colt was having cracking problems with that design, why would they do it again? Not trying to be argumentative, just never heard that being an issue. Oh, and FWIW I'm not a fan of the front serrations either but just for cosmetic reasons.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I like it myself and prefer a single sided thumb safety as their ambi safeties have been fitting loose in the past on similar priced Springfields. On the 9MM who really needs checkering.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Checker the front strap and lose the fcs.
I’m glad they’re still putting out new 1911s. I’ve come to the realization that no gunmaker will produce a gun that is 100% what I’m looking for. I just want them to reopen the custom shop. I’ve never sent a gun in to them but I took great comfort in knowing they were there when I was finally ready.
SA should have consulted with Lipsey's on this pistol, they seem to be more in touch with what shooters want.

All this . If your going to make a pistol , make it with less . Then open the
custom shop up the way it was . So I can then pay you more to get the pistol
I want . Win Win Win for Springfield :)

So true Lipsey's gets it / 25lpi checkering , no ambi safety , Tool steel parts
good Colors & coatings

·
Administrator
72,087 Posts
My point was that if Colt was having cracking problems with that design, why would they do it again? Not trying to be argumentative, just never heard that being an issue. Oh, and FWIW I'm not a fan of the front serrations either but just for cosmetic reasons.
The Marines who ran thousands of rounds through their early M45A1 pistols found several slides had cracked or completely separated, and the sharp corners present in those serrations were pinpointed as the cause. Colt modified the serrations to eliminate the stress risers and the issues went away. However as you noted Colt continued to offer the old-style serrations on the XSE models, which I assume meant they didn't think civilian owners were going to be that hard on their guns. After all, if you want to find out if it's possible to break a gun just give it to a Marine to play with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like the name when you understand that.....

A rōnin (浪人, "drifter" or "wanderer")[1][2] was a samurai without a lord or master during the feudal period (1185–1868) of Japan

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
A rōnin (浪人, "drifter" or "wanderer")[1][2] was a samurai without a lord or master during the feudal period (1185–1868) of Japan

I got this :

noun, plural ro·nin, ro·nins. Japanese History.

A samurai who no longer serves a daimyo, or feudal lord

·
Administrator
72,087 Posts
It's also important to point out that becoming a ronin was considered a disgrace in feudal Japan, for as a Samurai you were supposed to protect your master with your life. Probably not the best name to use on a gun designed to protect its master.

The story of the 47 ronin, probably the most well-known of all: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-seven_rōnin

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
The glued extractor is not a good thing to me, not a deal breaker but the lack of front-strap checkering will persuade me to not pull My money out. Not going to do it.

I bought a new Kimber Long slide .45 earlier this year (thanks for that longslide bug Bill!) that for the same $850 has no nice front strap checkering and lo & behold a pinned extractor. Now I’ll add that it did have some initial quality issues not as bad as my 9mm springer RO but not perfect either. I just cannot understand Springfield’s reasoning for not checkering their front straps on anything less than a trp.

The Kimber is a very nicely machined & tightly fitted piece, probably my first & last Kimber, but I’ll enjoy it just the same. No Ronin in my future either.

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Hey Hey Hey ...... Its really SACS's fault for bringing My longslide back from the dead .
If SACS would not have done such a great job on it . You would have never shot it . I
would not have bought my TGO-1 , my Professional , my Champion , or my Combat
Operator . So its all SACS's fault .:) In fact now that you got me thinking . SACS STOLE
all that money from me , I spent on all their work , its a Crime I tell you .. Maybe that is
why SACS will not do full custom work again . Its a Crime to offer such great services ,
at good prices for the regular John Q public to use . :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,717 Posts
Its really to bad SACS's does not do checkering . This would be a great candidate
to be upgraded with checkering . Its good looking , 9mm and 45acp , sights are nice
. No ambi , everything you want , except checkering and at 850.00 list its a great
pistol to send back to SA for custom work . SORRY would have been a great pistol
to send back to SACS for custom work if they still did it .

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Billy , you are right the new Ronin should have come with checkered front strap, but it didn't. I'm going to send you a big bottle of forget SACS pills and I want you to 1 pill 3 times a day until your obsession resides. Quit beating a dead horse .

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I just wished SA went with the finer, vertical slide serrations like those on the Loaded Target Models, even better would have been to totally eliminate the front slide cocking serrations.....then renamed it " Samurai " rather than " Ronin ".

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Why the name "Ronin"?
True Samurai never used a 1911, or any firearm. They were opposed to modern inventions, especially weapons.

·
Registered
120 Posts
my RO Elite Operator came with a pinned ejector and I'm pretty sure some members here posted about their milspecs coming with pinned ejectors so until one of us has a Ronin in hand, I'm really not sure if it would come with a glued or pinned ejector

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
41 - 60 of 102 Posts