1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Talked to Colt and was advised they will be doing a run of these in 9mm by end of year. Wouldn't take much to make it a .38 Super.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I took possession of my Custom Carry Limited today. The gun appears very well built, has a good Series 80 trigger, and excellent Colt checkering. The Chen parts are very nice in looks and in function. The thumb safety has a crisp, positive on/off.

What should have been apparent to me from the pictures online but wasn't, is that this is a CCO model. The mag well gives the illusion of a regular grip frame profile, but the grip frame is actually shortened -- exactly like the Colt Combat Unit CCO. Standard length magazines with a base pad fit the length perfectly, whereas extra length mags such as the Wilson Combat ETM and others will stick out a bit at the bottom. The configuration makes for a very handy pistol and will be excellent for carry.

I will post more after I've had a chance to shoot it.

·
Registered
271 Posts
So it's a Officers frame? I just ordered some grips for the one I got coming Monday. Ordered full size grips. Dam

·
Registered
99 Posts
Yeah, im pretty sure ot is a government frame. The way the stan chen magwell works is that you chop the frame and weld in place. From the one I saw at Shot show 2 years was definitely a true commander size. Uses full size gov mags. Not officer size mags you can also measure from frip screw to grip screw.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yeah, im pretty sure ot is a government frame. The way the stan chen magwell works is that you chop the frame and weld in place. From the one I saw at Shot show 2 years was definitely a true commander size. Uses full size gov mags. Not officer size mags you can also measure from frip screw to grip screw.
You are correct, it can use full size magazines because of the mag well. Go to Colt's website and look at the Combat Unit CCO. It's like that only with a Chen mag well. Full size grip panels will not fit.

Also, Colt doesn't use Government frames for their Commander models.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hi Mark,

How is the fit and finish? Do they have the standard Colt play and audible rattle from the both trigger and grip safety?
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Hi Mark,

How is the fit and finish? Do they have the standard Colt play and audible rattle from the both trigger and grip safety?
Thanks for your input.
The fit and finish are actually fantastic. No rattle in the grip safety, slide, or trigger. Fairly tight slide to frame fit though not overly so. It is typical of the recent models coming out of the Custom Shop. I have one each of the Custom Competition and the Custom Carry Limited and they are both very nicely built. My recently produced Custom Shop Commander Elite is the same way. I actually care far more about proper function, but these guns look great and the quality is apparent.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Come on sir. Don't do this to us show us some pictures. I would love to see what the actual gun looks like.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Come on sir. Don't do this to us show us some pictures. I would love to see what the actual gun looks like.
Okay here's a crappy one for now. I will try to post some better pictures at some point. The actual finish is darker than it appears in this picture. To be honest this pic simply doesn't do the pistol justice but I don't have time to do a better one right now.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Shall I explain:

Stan’s magwell utilizes a government size frame but cuts about 1/4” off the bottom of the frame. Stans magwell then slides on. The integral MSH uses a officers size spring setup.
The grips are fullsize grips that are cut down and relieved on the backside for the tab

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Shall I explain:

Stan’s magwell utilizes a government size frame but cuts about 1/4” off the bottom of the frame. Stans magwell then slides on. The integral MSH uses a officers size spring setup.
The grips are fullsize grips that are cut down and relieved on the backside for the tab
Thanks to you and Coquio for providing that extra information about the mag well, it is good to know. Stan Chen offers grip panels on his website but unfortunately the ones I like are not in stock.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yep, I had to cancel my order with VZ grips. Though they make the ones that come on the gun. They can't modify any on their site to work with the Chen Magwell.
The fact that the gun is a compact frame that needs a magwell cut on the bottom of the grips and a relief cut for that tab is going to make changing grips difficult.

41 - 60 of 107 Posts