1911Forum banner

101 - 120 of 157 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,410 Posts
It's not in the regular website. They've hidden it pretty well. That's how you sell a new custom gun.

·
Registered
338 Posts
It does not show up on their website. It is in their online catalog. Safety was well fitted on mine, trigger pull is where you want it for a carry gun. Gun has been de horned on the exterior . The only negatives I can find on mine is inside, there is some sharp edges, if you run a q tip over them they will grab a thread. Also the inside of the front of the slide and inside the barrel bushing the finish is gone where they fitted it. Some companies do it this way. They are inside the gun and will have oil in those areas. The sharp edges will burnish out when I shoot it. These are my only two nitpicks and they are very minor ones

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Ran 15 mags through mine this afternoon. Shoots better than I can, functioned perfectly. The bushing is a tight fit, have to use a wrench to remove. A well put together Colt 1911. A Q tip does not catch on mine inside or out, so pretty well finished.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Line up the slide stop notch and push out the slide stop. Then cup your hand under the sile and remove it. Pull recoil spring out of slide. The push barrel forward. The bushing should be able to turn with your fingers. Remover barrel, bushing, a recoil spring plug out the front. Reassemble in reverse order

·
Registered
11,792 Posts
I keep coming back to this thread to checkout that pistol. I’m drawn to it big time, not just because of the quality parts and workmanship, but largely in part due to its unique configuration and roll marks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
THIS IS NOT MY GUN. THESE ARE NOT MY PICTURES

but I handled THIS gun today. I am not usually impressed by “production”/semi custom level Guns of this price point. Much less Recent Colts. But WOW
They did about 97% of this gun RIGHT!
No sharp edges
Tight fitment of parts. Especially the thumb safety and grip safety.
Even though its a series 80 trigger it’s NICE. Heavy but glass rod crisp.

A few things I would have liked to see:
-serrate the rear of slide.
-gold bead front sight.

But those are personal preference.

I feel I must OVER state how nicely the thumb safety was fit as this is a very common trait of current Colts. The only issue was the detent pressure to activate the safety (up) was a bit light. Maybe a heavier spring could solve this. But again that’s minor.
The only real negative I have to say about the gun is the grips are atrocious. But that’s literally the first thing I change on my guns. So it’s a non-issue

Here’s some pictures

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'm talking with Stan Chen about getting some differant grips cut for mine.
As cool as the magwell is grips are not going to be a easy swap.

·
Registered
11,792 Posts
THESE ARE NOT MY PICTURES, but I handled THIS gun today.
Thanks for sharing the pics. Gosh, I hope I never see that pistol at one of my local gun shops, because I don’t really have the disposable funds to buy it right now, but I’d be damned if I could leave the LGS without it.

Nope, I know myself too well, I can’t even remember how many times I’ve strolled into my LGS for a certain firearm and ended up walking out with a Colt. For the past few years I’ve learned to play it safe, by only frequenting LGS’ in my area that typically have a poor selection of pistols. That doesn’t always work though, because every now and then, even the unexpected LGS’ end up with a desirable pistol. :LOL:

·
Registered
338 Posts
Well 5 -6 months ago when Mark posted pictures of this gun I went looking for it.
Called Colt and was told in no uncertain terms that they had no plans to produce it.
Meanwhile money I had put aside got spent on other 1911's.
A few weeks back these start showing up on Gunbroker.
All I can do it put it on Discover and pay it off.
On the other side of the coin, it's alot of gun for the price. well worth more money than what they are asking.
Second there doesn't look like anything exciting that I see for 2021 so in the long run, I think I made the smart decision.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
The only real negative I have to say about the gun is the grips are atrocious. But that’s literally the first thing I change on my guns. So it’s a non-issue
I love the gun but don't care for the grips either. I have a set coming from VZ Grips that are cut specifically for the Chen mag well. I had to pay a little extra but they will be worth it.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
I want to mention to everyone who has stated how impressed they are with this gun -- the Custom Competition pistol is very comparable. I have one of each and they are both great examples of what the Custom Shop is capable of producing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Only two Colts on my watch list right now, this Custom Carry and a Colt Hawk.

If anyone owns both, let me know how you would rank them.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
TTAC: I know how to disassemble a 1911, been in the gunsmithing business since the late 1960s working on 1911s. The bushing is tight in the slide, not on the barrel, it is fit perfectly on the barrel. Even without the barrel, the bushing is tight in the slide. Not a bad thing, but you have to use a bushing wrench to disassemble and assemble. This is one of the finest 1911s I have seen come out of the Colt Custom Shop. They have done almost everything right, in my opinion. The only thing I am going to do on this pistol is a trigger job. It came with a 4-3/4 lb. pull, I am going to take it down to a 3-1/2 to 3-3/4.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I too have both the Custom Competition and the Custom Carry Limited. It is great to see this quality of work coming out of the Colt Custom Shop. Over the years I have acquired a dozen Custom Shop guns. These two are the best I have seen, with the Custom Carry being the best in my opinion. The Competition is a close second. These are as close to a Wilson Combat that I have seen, not quite a slick and smooth in operation and feel, but they are 1K less than the Wilsons. I have 12 Wilsons, four Super Grades, over 50 Colts and numerous other brands including a bunch of Kimbers. These Colts are close to my Wilsons, plus, if you will notice, they come with two Wilson mags, the first time I can remember that happening.

101 - 120 of 157 Posts