1911Forum banner

121 - 140 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Vz told me they don't cut them for the Chen Magwell
How did you go about it?
I had ordered a set of grips for a Compact model, then realized they would not work so I called VZ. Spoke to someone who said they can cut their full size grip panels to the right length and also make the cutouts for the support tabs for a small extra price. So I said "please do".

I heard from them a couple days after that, and the guy told me it would be a while since they weren't set up to run Chen grips at that time. Hopefully they will be finished soon and on their way.

I'm pretty sure VZ makes the grip panels for sale on Chen's site, most of which are out of stock. I don't know if they will make them for everyone who wants them or if I just got lucky. I'm sure it has to do with the level of demand.

·
Registered
338 Posts
TTAC: I know how to disassemble a 1911, been in the gunsmithing business since the late 1960s working on 1911s. The bushing is tight in the slide, not on the barrel, it is fit perfectly on the barrel. Even without the barrel, the bushing is tight in the slide. Not a bad thing, but you have to use a bushing wrench to disassemble and assemble. This is one of the finest 1911s I have seen come out of the Colt Custom Shop. They have done almost everything right, in my opinion. The only thing I am going to do on this pistol is a trigger job. It came with a 4-3/4 lb. pull, I am going to take it down to a 3-1/2 to 3-3/4.
Sorry, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. I am also a Gunsmith and have worked on 1911's for some 35 years.
On mine the bushing was tight and didn't want to turn without a wrench, but I noticed if I pushed the barrel forward. It turned easily with finger pressure.
Also I have had 1911's with various finishes and turning the bushing with a wrench can also remove the finish on the front recoil spring plug.
So with this secondary takedown method the finish on the plug will stay intact.
I also also thought the trigger pull could be lighter, but then this gun is for carry use and a 4 to 4.5 lb trigger is perfect for that.
3.5 lb triggers I reserve for target use guns.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Talked to Stan Chen today, he said to contact Justin at VZ grips, he is in the loop and can get this done.
He also said the grips had to have the Magwell cut and could not be made of wood because they will splinter when they do the tab cut.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
TTAC: You didn't ruffle my feathers, I just wanted you to know that it was tight in the frame not barrel. As you stated, the first thing I did was to try pushing the slide back so the barrel would not have any pressure, and like you I know that the finish wears off the recoil spring plug using a wrench, so when working on a customers gun, or my own like this one, if I have to use a wrench, I put a small piece of black electrical tape in top of the plug. I might be wrong, but I wonder if the bushing was fitted perfectly then when the finish was applied to the bushing and the slide, it was enough to make it tight. I have not had experience with the Ion finish, so do not know if that is a factor. I do know on my pistol that the inside of the bushing has had the finish renamed off so the barrel fits perfectly. Again I have no experience with this finish, so I may be way off base.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello custom Colt fans,

It’s been very exciting to see the interest in this pistol and to see them finally make their way out into the wild. It has been a lot of fun to collaborate on the Custom Carry with Colt and see a nice custom carry piece come to fruition. It looks like the Colt Custom Shop is doing a super nice job with them!

TTAC, DavidS, Sandhills Write- thanks for sharing your pictures and experiences with this pistol, so glad you like it. Coquio - this has been a long time coming huh! ;-)

As time allows, I’ll try to chime in here with some of the backstory behind the parts and features of the pistol that relate to me and my shop.

For starters though, TTAC and Mark Robinson have it correct on the grips and our friends at VZ. I’ve talked to both front office staff and a machinist, and they are in fact set up to make the grip modifications to accept the Chen Custom Gen2 Magwell. As TTAC stated, I know that Justin is in the loop at VZ, and I’m guessing more of them will be as well. The grips you choose just need to be the flat bottom “magwell” models, and not made of wood.

And just to reiterate, the grips are not Compact/Defender/Officers length, but rather a shortened Gov’t/Commander grip.

Thanks everyone for your interest and feedback!

BTS of the production of some Gen2s!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Stan: I have the Custom Competition and the Custom Carry. I have around a dozen Colt Custom Shop guns, my opinion is that these are the best the Custom Shop has turned out for a long time. I have 12 Wilson Combat, with four being Super Grades. These new Colts are close to the Wilsons, plus they are 1K less money. I am not knocking the Wilsons, they are fantastic, but these new Colts are something else.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Stan - Any plans to sell that angled magazine catch in your website store? I could put a few of those to good use!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thank you for posting Stan, my Vz grips have been ordered and I am looking forward to them. I have been wondering how many of these Colt plans on building. I don’t think many are coming out from the factory. I kinda feel like I hit the lottery. There is hardly anything coming out of Colt. I was able to grab one of these, which is probably the nicest gun in their catalog. And with shotshow being canceled, I don’t see anything on the horizon coming

·
Registered
110 Posts
While field stripping the slide lock was very difficult to remove and put back in. Funny thing my other commander is like that too. I was wondering if there’s a trick to the commander models or is it just me doing wrong?

I have no issues with government models and defender. Other than that i love the gun

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
BigRam: Did your Custom Carry come with Colt mags??? Mine came with Wilson mags with steel floor plates so that they are flush with the mag well. Some of the new Colts slide stop plungers are not full diameter of plunger tube, that is one reason the slide stop is a little more difficult to assemble. On mine you can see that the plunger is not as big in diameter as some of my older Colts. But still one of the best Custom Shop guns I have.

·
Registered
110 Posts
BigRam: Did your Custom Carry come with Colt mags??? Mine came with Wilson mags with steel floor plates so that they are flush with the mag well. Some of the new Colts slide stop plungers are not full diameter of plunger tube, that is one reason the slide stop is a little more difficult to assemble. On mine you can see that the plunger is not as big in diameter as some of my older Colts. But still one of the best Custom Shop guns I have.
I got wilson combat steel plate black 7 rd. I got 2 of them which is nice i was just testing other mags in there from my other colt. I love the gun its really nice fit just tight with the slide stop do im guess it will loosen over time. I love it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
also i want to mention i did another field strip cleaning/oiling today it seems the slide stop was easier to take out and put back in, also i wanted to mention the thumb safety is the smoothest action by far compared to all my other colts crisp engaged and disengaged and no loose play

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, not even sure how I stumbled upon this thread, but add me to the list of gotta have and went and got!

I managed to find one on Gunbroker for under MSRP after taxes, overnight shipping, etc, so very pleased about that.

I am a big fan of Stan Chen and his parts. I had sent a Heritage to him for machine work which unfortunately was returned as he had just ceased that operation. I lucked into perhaps the only Heritage with his machine work on the secondary market and quickly made it mine. Exquisite craftsmanship to say the least. I am excited to get my hands on this pistol and put them side by side!

As far as the grips, it does not hurt to ask custom makers what they can do. You will have to send in your grip panels for templates which means no pistol for a while, but we are used to waiting for EVERYTHING, right? This is a set of desert ironwood grips by Sarge that I purchased on this forum as government size, shipped to Sarge with the VZs as a template, and returned ready to show off!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Heard back from Justin at VZ today, it's been 2 weeks and they are having trouble with my grips.
They cut a set for another customer and there is a gap between the bottom of the grip and the magwell.
The gun they are using for a test fit they got from Stan Chen.
After hearing about Mark getting his grips and I figured VZ was cutting the grips that Colt is using on this gun.
I'm starting to like the magwell on this gun less and less.
It makes the grips a odd size not compact and not full size.
Really looking forward to the new grips and I was looking forward to getting them on the gun before I fired it.
Hope they can get this figured out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
That other customer is me

I sent measurements to stan and Justin today. They will get it sorted
I'm kinda baffeled as Mark got his grips from VZ with no problems and I figured VZ cut all the grips for these Colts.
David is your gun one of these New Colt Custom Carries or was it a Stan Chen magwell installed on another 1911 by a Gunsmith?

121 - 140 of 157 Posts