1911Forum banner

141 - 157 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I'm kinda baffeled as Mark got his grips from VZ with no problems and I figured VZ cut all the grips for these Colts.
David is your gun one of these New Colt Custom Carries or was it a Stan Chen magwell installed on another 1911 by a Gunsmith?
The left side panel on mine is a real tight fit, but it went on with a little persuading. They look and work great. Mine are the Operators in black.

·
Premium Member
5,042 Posts
I'm kinda baffeled as Mark got his grips from VZ with no problems and I figured VZ cut all the grips for these Colts.
David is your gun one of these New Colt Custom Carries or was it a Stan Chen magwell installed on another 1911 by a Gunsmith?
Frame dimensions could be a bit off per batch.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi everyone,

Thanks for your patience with my replies, as busy as it is in the shop, it is a challenge to keep up on all the interweb happenings! Again, I can't speak for everything related to the project, but will chime in where I can/it relates to my part in it.

Sandhill Write - Thanks for your feedback. I'm thrilled that you are happy with your new Colt. It's always nice to see nice offereings from such an iconic brand, and I know that the Custom Shop is working hard to put out great work. A lot to be grateful for, given 2020!

Rooney-
"Stan - Any plans to sell that angled magazine catch in your website store? I could put a few of those to good use!"
Thanks for reaching out on the magazine release; it's a pretty neat part - the face is angled towards the rear, with similarly angled serrations. It also has a very generous radius on the outside edge of the button so it is fully dehorned. This all adds up to a very positive action on the mag release, as the angles lock your thumb to the button as it is depressed. And the dehorning works great for a carry piece.

Yes, we will eventually offer the mag catch as a stand alone part for sale. In the very short term, we are just making them in small batches for my full house customs, and for this Colt project. We are very busy with other parts, so something had to give in the near term. Please follow us on FB or IG, we'll be sure to make an announcement there. Thanks again!

Mark Robinson-
"Thanks for posting Stan. I received my grip panels from VZ and they work great. The Custom Carry is a really nice package from Colt, and the Chen parts are top notch. "

Thanks for the feedback and kind words Mark, much appreciated! Glad, you like your new Colt, and that the VZ gang took care of you on the grips, they are good folks. It's been fun to see this project come together and see folks like you happy with it; we put a lot of blood sweat and tears into those parts and are honored we could contribute!

Big Ram-
Thanks for sharing those pics sir! Glad you are liking your new Colt, and that your slide stop settled in. Also glad that you like the action of the thumb safety. That is by design, as I tweaked the detent surfaces, as well as the where the safety boss bottoms in the frame, and the diameter/straightness/concentricity of the pin shaft. Then the Custom Shop smiths take the fit all the home.

Lug Nuts-
Haha, thanks brother! That's awesome that you were able to find another Heritage that I had scratched on, I appreciate your understanding and am really glad it worked out that way. Thanks for sharing that grip resource as well, those desert ironwoods look gorgeous.

TTAC-
Don't worry, at the end of the day you'll end up with a set of grips that will fit just fine. There are multiple people involved, including me and folks at VZ, that really care about making things as good as they can be. So we are double checking things and comparing notes to be sure we get it right, sometimes this takes time. We just ask for a bit of patience as we sort things out. Long story short- As you read, Mark Robinson's grips were fine and fit his Colt nicely. In a strange bit of odd timing, at nearly the same time, DavidS requested from VZ a set of grips for his Dan Wesson Heritage, that I had previously installed a Gen2 Magwell on. He ended up with a very small gap, (that we now believe is simply due a slight difference in how the DW frames are made; great guns BTW). So when VZ heard that, they took a pause to get in contact with me to make sure they had things right, and we've had some back and forth discussions on the matter. Grips for all the Colt guns should be fine, and I'll be in contact with them again on Monday. I am really really glad to hear that overall you are pleased with the package!

Thanks again everyone for the interest and feedback. If you ever have any problems that I can help with (related to my area of this Colt project), please reach out directly to us at ch[email protected]. Leave a phone number where we can reach you in case it's best handled with a quick phone call. We'll do whatever we can to help you and make this project a success!

Have a great weekend!
Stan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Some notes on the Gen2 Magwell- I will elaborate further in future posts, but just a few thoughts for now.

Chen Gen2 Magwell installation as done in my shop:

I am of course completely biased, but to me the Chen Gen2 Magwell is the "grail" of magwells for the custom built 1911 pistol. It is the ONLY 1911 magwell that offers all of the following:

1. Adds no length or width to the pistol

2. Huge opening that encircles the magazine 360 degrees. Makes a real difference in reload speed and consistency vs those that open at the front.

3. Tactically sound design allows stuck magazines to be stripped from the pistol with standard magazine floorplates.

4. Fully integrated with the MSH for easy removal.

Additionally, there are side reinforcement tabs for hard use durability (no twisting of magwell from side impacts). It is protected my multiple US Patents. Installation requires precisely machining .300" off the bottom of the pistol, relocation of the MSH pin hole, final blending and grip modifications.

For these reasons, it is a very highly sought after modification for high end custom 1911 builds from some of the country's top custom builders, when aficionados send their pistols off for custom work. That Colt incorporated it into a Custom Shop model that you can just buy, without further gunsmithing work, has been another answer to the requests of many custom 1911 fans.

Credit where it's due, Ed Brown Products was very forward thinking, and was the first to offer the Chen Gen2 Magwell as a standard feature on high end models nearly 2 years ago, on models such as the EVO E9 LW, EB/ZEV 2019, and the SRC (you can also custom order any pistol with the Gen2 as an added option from them).

So outside of Ed Brown, and now this Colt Custom shop model, having one installed on your pistol was a 'box up your pistol, send to good gunsmith for installation and refinish' affair, or something you spec'd on your custom build from a smith.

Yes, necessary by design the grips are not "standard" Gov't or Officer's size. But that is not a difficult hurdle to overcome by any means, and a tiny tradeoff for the numerous benefits of the Gen2 Magwell.

So you can now walk into a gun shop and buy a Colt Custom Shop model (when available) with the Chen Gen2 Magwell already installed. Again I'm biased, but I'm pretty stoked about that!;)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thank You for your reply Stan,
I was thinking the gap was something with a different brand of gun or even a differant Gunsmith.
One of my pet peeves is that differant gun manufacters hold differant diminensions on their 1911's.
Lest Baer is perhaps the worse.
My gun is this Colt model and VZ has done a bunch for this model.
So hopefully it will all get sorted out on Monday.

·
Registered
423 Posts
A little late to this thread and to be honest I have not been on the forum most of this year because I was determined to try and purchase a new Python and didn't want to see something to distract me LOL. Unfortunately it doesn't appear that Western PA will ever see any Pythons in out LGS...like most colt products they just don't exist except on the internet. So i have given up on the Python but I do like this Custom Carry. No information available on Colt's site and I find that odd. What is this gun going for and do we need to order through the Custom Shop?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,792 Posts
No information available on Colt's site and I find that odd. What is this gun going for and do we need to order through the Custom Shop?
I haven’t seen an advertised MSRP, but the going rate appears to be $2199 and up. You could always check with your local gun shop and see if they can order one or locate one in the pipeline, otherwise, you’ll need to scour the Internet.

The pistol is in the Colt catalog, scroll to the near bottom of the link.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I haven’t seen an advertised MSRP, but the going rate appears to be $2199 and up. You could always check with your local gun shop and see if they can order one or locate one in the pipeline, otherwise, you’ll need to scour the Internet.

The pistol is in the Colt catalog, scroll to the near bottom of the link.
Thanks for the info....Trying to order Colt's from "stocking" dealers is a joke at least in my area...can find stocking dealers but they never have any stock and never know when they will receive their one maybe two Colts they may receive in one calendar year. Thanks again I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
388 Posts
There is a post above showing the msrp at $2599. There is a seller on gunbroker now that has two for sale at that price.

Gunbroker is where I found mine after scouring the interwebs only to find “out of stock” notices.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Another week has gone by, still no grips. Talked with Justin and they are still working on the Measurements .
I told him just use the measurements from the batch that they cut for these Custom shop guns.
I'm giving it one more week and then I'm cancelling my order.
A month to make 4 cuts is crazy.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Another week has gone by, still no grips. Talked with Justin and they are still working on the Measurements .
I told him just use the measurements from the batch that they cut for these Custom shop guns.
I'm giving it one more week and then I'm cancelling my order.
A month to make 4 cuts is crazy.
Patience is a virtue.....especially when working with anything “custom”

I just dropped the grips in the mail yesterday to Justin. Keep in mind; my fitment issues for the grips are NOT EVEN for the Colt. But Justin, stan and the guys at VZ are just going above and beyond to make sure that EVERYONE who has this magwell can get compatible grips. That’s top notch customer service!

I have been waiting over a year for a custom grip maker to make grips for this gun, so I was thrilled when VZ offered to make them to this cut....
So no......waiting a month actually isnt crazy at all

·
Registered
388 Posts
The wait will be worth it, no doubt. I think 6-8 weeks is what I generally wait for custom grips and that was true to have this formally government set modified.

Even after VZ comes through, I might still consider other custom makers. I read elsewhere that Cherokee Hills and LOK grips were two makers others have used. I am sure there are more. You may have to send them your grips as a template, which requires the pistol to sit naked for a while, but the wait is well worth it in my opinion.
D10E4B1B-A12B-4900-87F3-123845500BEA.jpeg

141 - 157 of 157 Posts