1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need advice, Should I purchase a new model stainless series 70 or should I go for a Springfield Loaded or the new model Tactical Combat black stainless Model#PX9154L also a Springfield. I have read about numerous problems with the series 70, my friend has one that the slide has overhang at the rear of the pistol. Also his slide has the other problem of being off center. I would really like a Colt but am afraid of getting one with problems. How about the New Roll Mark Model 1991's specifically the Stainless Government Models in 45acp, any one having problems with recent production models? Please give me some input, I already have a springfield Stainless TRP and it is a tack driver, fit,finish, and function superb! but I really want a Colt. HELP!

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
The Series 70 reproduction is a completely different animal than any of the contemporary "modern" 1911's such as the Springfield Loaded. Either you want the classic "GI" features (spur hammer and grip safety, narrow ejection port, etc) or you don't. Regarding quality control, it seems one out of three new Colts may have a slight cosmetic anomaly of some sort, but they rarely ever affect functioning. I too wish the rate of flaws was more like 1 in 100 or something like other manufacturers. For some odd reason, it seems less folks are noticing cosmetic flaws with 1991 models than with the more expensive Series 70's!

·
Registered
258 Posts
but I really want a Colt
You have already answered your question.

Your only issue appears to be a fear that you will get a Colt that is not "right." You seem to know the potential problems to look for, so just carefully inspect the gun you intend to buy.

(Sheesh; I wish folks in other parts of the country would quit buying Colts so that my local dealers could get some in stock.)

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Obviously, you want the Colt. I think you should just hold you nose and jump in! The Colt is not at all likely to give you functional issues.

If the gun you get has an issue or two that needs correcting, Colt will take care of it for you and pay for shipping. Yes, that would be an unfortunate occurrence - inconvenient, mostly. But in the end all will be fine. Most likely, you won't have an issue to be corrected, so just do it!

Buying another SA or some other brand won't immunize you from the possibility of getting a gun with a problem. You can inspect a new SA all you like, then buy it, take it home, and find it jams on you....true of any brand.

Worry is a terribly wearing, debilitating, immobilizing thing. You really have nothing to fear, so DON'T WORRY. Just buy it and in the unlikely event that it needs work, it'll get done! The weeks you spend agonizing about something that might not even happen could be weeks spent correcting something that is unlikely to need correcting. Does that make any sense?

In the end you'll wind up with a great Colt, in any event. :rock:

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
DHart said:
The weeks you spend agonizing about something that might not even happen could be weeks spent correcting something that is unlikely to need correcting. Does that make any sense?
:scratch:

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
dsk... I know... it can be worded much more clearly... what I meant was, if you spend weeks trying to decide whether or not to take the risk of getting one that *might* have an issue to be corrected... in the same amount of time you could have just bough one and had any potential issue corrected... just a thought that I probably shouldn't have even included in my post... :(

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
I still say (and so do many others) that for $900 a pop I shouldn't be having to worry about flaws to begin with. At least, my odds of getting one with goofs should be a lot greater than it currently is!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the 1991 Stainless Government Models as expensive as the Series 70?
Maybe I should purchase one, my Dealer has several and they appear flawless, other than the series 80 safety it appears almost identical to the "70" model. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
The 1991 models are just like the Series 70's except for the firing pin safety, lowered ejection port, narrow barrel hood, and slightly coarser finish. Oh, and usually they have cheaper grips too. They are a better value than the Series 70, unless you specifically dislike the FPS. And like I said, strangely there have been very few complaints regarding cosmetic flaws with these compared to the S70's. :hrm:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I see the 1991 priced $100 or so less than the S70.

I wonder if the number of cosmetic complaints about the S70 is because the buyers are more picky, or more knowledgeable, or ??? than 1991 buyers.

·
Banned
4,130 Posts
Patrolman... if you find a nice 1991 at your local shop, unless you're bothered by the series 80 system, that's a great way to go.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Look your Series 70 over very carefully

Patrolman 175:
Why not do a good search of all area guns stores? Look at the fit between the slide and frame when in battery. Look for all proper geometry of finish on slide and frame. Press on barrel hood to check for in battery firm lockup. Look at the gun from all angles and if necessary, field strip the pistol then look closely at the quality of the finish of the slide/frame. That's what I do and I absolutely love my Series 70. In fact, so much that I plan to buy a second in stainless steel. I would go with the Series 70 in stainless. But again, if you have any misgivings about the purchase. Look at the gun in person. I can't really say that you would fair better with a Springfield Armory. I look those over too. NATIONALMATCH

·
Administrator
73,813 Posts
Look for the following potential issues:

*Dust cover rubbing (slide/frame not centered)
*Slide/frame overhang at the rear
*Off-center machining (anywhere)
*Uneven or wavy slide/frame edges
*Loose or bent plunger tube
*One side of slide taller than the other
*One side of frame taller than other near MS housing
*Overcut barrel bushing tab, resulting in a large gap
*Excessive tooling marks on breech face
*Visible gap between frame and slide (seen from side)
*Rollmarks stamped lightly, uneven, or sloping
*Hammer leaning to one side (pin holes drilled wrong)
*Excessive fore/aft trigger slop (trigger track cut too deep into frame)
*Binding of the action (operate trigger and hammer to check)
*Radius, contours, corners different on left and right sides
*Nicks and scratches (see it all the time, even fresh out of the oily bag)
*Matte areas marred by polishing over-runs (I see this on almost every pistol, and have to just pick one that isn't too bad)

These are just the anomalies I have seen lately. There are others I used to see but haven't recently, so I didn't include them. And also notice I didn't even begin mentioning inspection for slide/frame tightness, barrel lockup, trigger pull, and smooth operation of the safeties.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts